Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New sub technology from Eminent... 1Hz??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 01:28 AM

I did a few searches, and didn't see anything posted about this yet. It looks like Eminent has taken a different approach to reproducing the really low end (1Hz - 30Hz) with a rotary woofer. Of course, it's a little pricey at about $13,000, and requires an IB setup, but if you really want that last bit of elusive bass..... Posted Image

http://www.eminent-t.../RWbrochure.htm

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Chris Rock

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 04:26 AM

I sat in a demo for this product at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver in late September. It has to be heard (or felt) to be believed.

I'm unsure how practical it is, though. In the demo, which was in a hotel suite, the sub was in another room in the suite, the walls of which were covered with some type of sound absorbing material. From the room we were in, it was plenty loud. I just couldn't help wondering if a they could make a viable consumer product out of it. I won't be looking to replace my SVS any time soon.

In my experience at the demo, the tones the demonstrator (who was one of the inventors) played below 16Hz were inaudible, and it sounded (as it should, I suppose) like a helicopter...with pulses of air shaking the walls. The door to the room shook and visible moved, as much as a half inch. One thing's for sure, at 4Hz, I wouldn't be able to stand too much of it. You could feel the pressure in the room. It was pretty amazing.

Anyone out there got one of these things?

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Jacob C

Jacob C

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 06:20 AM

I saw it on slashdot today and thought it was a joke untill I looked into it more.
Jacob
--------------------------------

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:30 AM

The designer of the rotary vane transducer, Bruce Thigpen, did not make this to replace anything that SVS makes. This is an add-on to a very high end system that already has highly powerful subwoofers. It will cover the 5-12 Hz region where most subs are mere ghosts.

The problem with this initial offering is that Bruce has limited the output to 110 db. He can bring to market a more powerfull model that is designed for 120 db.

Since these are virtually handmade, and Bruce is trying to recover his development costs, the price is rather steep.

There is nothing that I am aware of that can compete with this product.

Please remember, the high end on this is 30Hz. This is not a subwoofer. But for the well heeled who are willing to make the necessary in-basement type installation and probably reinforce parts of the listening room, this thing is an absolute monster.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   John_RO

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 04:36 PM

Absolutely ridiculous! Who needs this? C'mon, my puny 25-31PCi shakes the windows in my den. That kind of air pressure would surely pop the screws in my drywall.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 02:44 AM

John_Ro

If you look at the "waterfall charts" thread you will see subsonic content on any number of DVDs.

Your 25-31PCi are tuned to 25 Hz. While that will cover the great majority of low bass. The Model 17 is for another audience entirely. For example, those who have dual PB-12 Ultras might consider adding the Model 17 to cover the 5-16 Hz range where the SVS is pretty much a ghost.

There are people who have the money and other resources to add such a product. The market for this product is small and rich.

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   MikeNg

MikeNg

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 10:36 AM

There's lots of talk about this unit, but I don't think anyone's actually listened to this with any sort of media; only sine waves. This is purely conceptual at this point, is it not?

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 10:56 AM

Read this.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 12:02 PM

Wow! You can talk about the superfan that shakes your HT at 1Hz, but then you see the picture and its almost tiny. It looks like a $20 Wal*Mart fan with a big motor. Absolutley amazing.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 12:17 PM

Except it is engineered similar to that of a state-of-the-art helicopter. I can understand why this costs over $12,000.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   MikeNg

MikeNg

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 12:29 PM

Scott, I skimmed the first page of that thread but am having issues getting to the second page. Was there a particular post you wanted me to read?

Was there reference to its performance with media?

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 01:33 PM

Wasn't making a point about the media. Every site that has someone mentioning this was there for the demo. I guess then they didn't do much other than sine waves. It was just a good read and any new info will pop up there.

Just a heads up. The ceiling will crumble with one of these! Posted Image Posted Image

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
Wow! You can talk about the superfan that shakes your HT at 1Hz, but then you see the picture and its almost tiny. It looks like a $20 Wal*Mart fan with a big motor. Absolutley amazing.

Walmart fans can't change the pitch of their blades. (It rotates at a constant speed--pitch changes are used to create sound waves). Do note that a 1Hz sound is "inaudible" below ~120 dB. This model is limited to 110 db, so it really begins at 3Hz...

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   MikeNg

MikeNg

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 04:28 PM

OK. Got it. It was interesting to read, yes. It sure would be cool to see this sort of thing demo'd with real stuff. I'm sure that's coming around the bend.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 07:04 PM

A sub sub woofer. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 07:05 PM

Why is it that people feel just because there are 6hz tones on some dvds that you have reproduce them? As if the movie will lose some of it's intended meaning if those helicopter blades were not felt.....

Just when you're setup to do 18hz nicely, sound designers will throw in some 10hz. Then we'll upgrade to do 10hz and they'll start recording effects at 5hz.

I wonder if those super low tones at reference SPLs will do structural damage to the house? Doesn't it do some damage or at least disrupt in some way the body? I thought it was dangerous to the heart. or I could be way off base...

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Morgan_

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 10:53 PM

Sounds scaryPosted Image I bet it makes you uneasy listening to it. I'm nervous enough!Posted Image I'll stick with my SVS.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 11:25 PM

Quote:
I bet it makes you uneasy listening to it.
That could be a sneaky way for horror movies to put you in that "something ain't right" mode. Throw in a low 5Hz note to build up that uneasy feeling, and while you can't hear anything, your body sure knows something's going on.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Jim*T

Jim*T

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 11:54 PM

Ryan Tsang
Quote:
Why is it that people feel just because there are 6hz tones on some dvds that you have reproduce them? As if the movie will lose some of it's intended meaning if those helicopter blades were not felt.....

Quote:
Just when you're setup to do 18hz nicely, sound designers will throw in some 10hz. Then we'll upgrade to do 10hz and they'll start recording effects at 5hz.

Hi everybody. Had been a HTF member since 1998 ,but been away for some time. Had to re register. I don't think there's a conspiracy to create content in movies/DVDs at ever lower freqs just so that you and I have to upgrade. Posted Image
The audio material has always been there.Ultimate home theater goals are to recreate real life or what the director wanted. HT enthusiast go to great lengths in other areas ,why not the lower eschelon of soundwaves.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 02:55 AM

Quote:
Do note that a 1Hz sound is "inaudible" below ~120 dB. This model is limited to 110 db, so it really begins at 3Hz...

Who would want a puny sub that can only do 3 Hz? I'm holding out for the 120 dB version. Posted Image

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow