What's new

Jobs sells Pixar to Disney! See Post#34 (1 Viewer)

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Can you trust anything Steve Jobs says during a negotiation period? If it is true I don't see it as a good thing. It is not the technology that makes Pixar movies great.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

No, CL is Disney's first attempt to copy Pixar.

Pixar's next film is "Cars" next year.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Such a sale would be the death of Pixar, and a huge blow to American animation.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator

Not that I am disagreeing, but isn't it sad that Disney has become the horrorshow of animation?:frowning:

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
It only became the horror show of animation after Walt died. I can't remember who said it, but one person described the post-Walt era of Disney something like "Watching the Disney animators at work is like watching a bunch of famous chefs make hot dogs." I think it was John Lasseter, but I'm not sure.

If Pixar is bought out by Disney, we'll sink into another dark period of souless animated features for at least the next twenty years.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I disagree. Disney is under new management, and my guess is that they would keep most, if not all of Pixar's talent intact. They would just own them and have the power to approve what comes out of Pixar. Not much different from the relationship that has brought about all the Pixar movies we adore.

It's a smart move by Jobs. He doesn't have a track record of staying somewhere long, and Pixar can't seem to get what he feels is market value for a long term contract with anyone (insane...if I were at a studio, I'd pay just about anything). It's also smart by Disney. They already own the rights to the existing Pixar product...owning them would allow the franchises to continue and new ones to be created.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It all depends on how Disney would treat the acquired business. If Disney would keep the unit as a separate entity with a certain amount of autonomy, then things won't change all that much. If Disney tries to integrate it into their company, who knows? Depends if the Pixar guys would be running things, or Disney. If they try to import the Disney culture, I could see a potential disaster.

Just because the bigger company would like to buy you, doesn't mean that you have to inherit their culture. Sometimes, it is the other way around. For example, my company got bought out by a larger company, but they bought us because they wanted to do business more like we did, since our strengths were where the company wanted to go.

I certainly have apprehension about Disney buying out Pixar, but it doesn't automatically mean that it would be the end of Pixar as we know it.

Jason

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I could easily see Disney putting the Pixar stamp on every film they release to generate interest, regardless of the talent involved. It's largly that golden name they'll be paying for anyhow. If I were John Lasseter and Jobs sold to Disney, I sure as hell wouldn't stick around.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Just remember - the two biggest money-making franchises for Disney right now are Princesses and Pixar. Why would they try to 'improve' Pixar? And, no one wants to see CGI princesses.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

You mean like Disney & Miramax? We all know how that ended up.

Eisner's Disney wasn't interested in collaboration, they wanted to dictate and control. We'll have to see if this is truly a kinder, gentler Disney under new management.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Pretty darn successfully last time I checked.

They finally parted ways, but that was inevitable because of Weinstein desire to branch out.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
What a difference a year makes. Looks like in a post-Eisner era, things are looking up again between Disney and Pixar. From today's WSJ:

~Edwin

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think what will happen is that Disney will have a large minority share in Pixar, and Jobs gets a Board of Directors seat at Disney. Pixar will continue to run almost completely autonomously.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Too bad Jobs (Apple/Pixar/NeXT/whatever) couldn't just buy out Disney all together. I think he'd be a good owner for it, he let's John Lasserer do basically what he wants and I think he'd let the Disney animators run free with thier ideas while having Lasseter, who's good at controlling animators much like Walt did back in the day. While he's a hard assed guy and is known for being pretty tempermental and whatever he does show pretty good leadership skills. If it weren't for him I think Apple would've died back in the early 90's and we wouldn't have iPod's and iTunes and such.
I'm interested to see where this pairing of Pixar and Disney will go. I hope it's just left in favor of Pixar.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

If the merger does go through, Steve Jobs would be on Disney's board of directors and become the company's largest stockholder. There has been much press speculation that Jobs may become Disney's Chairman. Robert Iger might want to re-read Gil Amelio's biography.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks