Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jobs sells Pixar to Disney! See Post#34

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#1 of 78 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,047 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 02 2005 - 12:18 PM

Jobs thinks about selling Pixar to Disney

Interesting. From the off again, on again talks to now talk of completely selling Pixar to Disney. This would be a coupe for Disney if it were to happen.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 78 OFFLINE   David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 12:20 PM

Oh no. Disney will kill everything that makes Pixar so great.

#3 of 78 OFFLINE   John Mansor

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 01:25 AM

Can you trust anything Steve Jobs says during a negotiation period? If it is true I don't see it as a good thing. It is not the technology that makes Pixar movies great.

#4 of 78 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 01:41 AM

So isn't Chicken Little a Pixar film?
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#5 of 78 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,672 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 03 2005 - 02:46 AM

So isn't Chicken Little a Pixar film?

No, CL is Disney's first attempt to copy Pixar.

Pixar's next film is "Cars" next year.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 78 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,022 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 03 2005 - 03:15 AM

Such a sale would be the death of Pixar, and a huge blow to American animation.

#7 of 78 OFFLINE   Rudi

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 03:29 AM

Quote:
Such a sale would be the death of Pixar, and a huge blow to American animation.

Not that I am disagreeing, but isn't it sad that Disney has become the horrorshow of animation?Posted Image
Against Stupidity, The Gods Themselves, Contend In Vain

#8 of 78 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 04:47 AM

It only became the horror show of animation after Walt died. I can't remember who said it, but one person described the post-Walt era of Disney something like "Watching the Disney animators at work is like watching a bunch of famous chefs make hot dogs." I think it was John Lasseter, but I'm not sure.

If Pixar is bought out by Disney, we'll sink into another dark period of souless animated features for at least the next twenty years.

#9 of 78 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 03 2005 - 06:21 AM

I disagree. Disney is under new management, and my guess is that they would keep most, if not all of Pixar's talent intact. They would just own them and have the power to approve what comes out of Pixar. Not much different from the relationship that has brought about all the Pixar movies we adore.

It's a smart move by Jobs. He doesn't have a track record of staying somewhere long, and Pixar can't seem to get what he feels is market value for a long term contract with anyone (insane...if I were at a studio, I'd pay just about anything). It's also smart by Disney. They already own the rights to the existing Pixar product...owning them would allow the franchises to continue and new ones to be created.

#10 of 78 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 06:36 AM

It all depends on how Disney would treat the acquired business. If Disney would keep the unit as a separate entity with a certain amount of autonomy, then things won't change all that much. If Disney tries to integrate it into their company, who knows? Depends if the Pixar guys would be running things, or Disney. If they try to import the Disney culture, I could see a potential disaster.

Just because the bigger company would like to buy you, doesn't mean that you have to inherit their culture. Sometimes, it is the other way around. For example, my company got bought out by a larger company, but they bought us because they wanted to do business more like we did, since our strengths were where the company wanted to go.

I certainly have apprehension about Disney buying out Pixar, but it doesn't automatically mean that it would be the end of Pixar as we know it.

Jason

#11 of 78 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 06:49 AM

I could easily see Disney putting the Pixar stamp on every film they release to generate interest, regardless of the talent involved. It's largly that golden name they'll be paying for anyhow. If I were John Lasseter and Jobs sold to Disney, I sure as hell wouldn't stick around.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#12 of 78 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 03 2005 - 07:20 AM

Just remember - the two biggest money-making franchises for Disney right now are Princesses and Pixar. Why would they try to 'improve' Pixar? And, no one wants to see CGI princesses.

#13 of 78 OFFLINE   Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
And, no one wants to see CGI princesses.

Shhhh man! Someone from Disney could be reading this. Let's not give them any ideas! :P

#14 of 78 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,672 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 03 2005 - 07:56 AM

It all depends on how Disney would treat the acquired business. If Disney would keep the unit as a separate entity with a certain amount of autonomy, then things won't change all that much.

Just because the bigger company would like to buy you, doesn't mean that you have to inherit their culture.

You mean like Disney & Miramax? We all know how that ended up.

Eisner's Disney wasn't interested in collaboration, they wanted to dictate and control. We'll have to see if this is truly a kinder, gentler Disney under new management.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#15 of 78 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 03 2005 - 10:28 AM

You mean like Disney & Miramax? We all know how that ended up.

Pretty darn successfully last time I checked.

They finally parted ways, but that was inevitable because of Weinstein desire to branch out.

#16 of 78 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 12:36 PM

Quote:
Pretty darn successfully last time I checked.

Except for one particular movie called "Fahrenheit 9/11". Posted Image

#17 of 78 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 01:12 AM

What a difference a year makes. Looks like in a post-Eisner era, things are looking up again between Disney and Pixar. From today's WSJ:

Quote:
The two animation giants are in serious discussions after months in which they have been exploring ways to continue their lucrative partnership, people familiar with the matter tell The Wall Street Journal. In the deal under discussion, Disney would pay a nominal premium to Pixar's current market value of $6.7 billion, in a stock transaction that would make Mr. Jobs, the Pixar chairman and chief executive, the largest individual shareholder in Disney, these people say. That would vault Mr. Jobs into an even more influential place in the media world, where he already holds tremendous sway as head of Apple Computer. The talks are said to be at a sensitive stage and the outcome isn't certain. Disney and Pixar have been partners for more than a dozen years under an arrangement in which Disney has distributed and co-financed popular and profitable Pixar movies such as "Toy Story," "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles."

Two years ago, however, Mr. Jobs abruptly said he would end the relationship when it expires later this year and seek a new distribution partner, amid acrimony with then-Disney CEO Michael Eisner. His successor, Robert Iger, who took over last October, has made it a priority to get the companies' relationship back on track. Talks have gained momentum in recent months and a resolution could come soon, the Journal says. In a warming of relations -- and somewhat of a breakthrough for the television medium -- Mr. Iger last fall decided to allow Disney TV shows like "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" to be made available in a format that could be downloaded and played on Apple's iPod devices. An acquisition would give Pixar and Mr. Jobs a way to cash in on the company's unbroken run of blockbuster, computer-animated films. He would likely join the Disney board, and Pixar's John Lasseter, the Disney alumnus who directed "Toy Story" and the upcoming "Cars," would take on an expanded role overseeing Disney animated movies.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#18 of 78 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 02:43 AM

I think what will happen is that Disney will have a large minority share in Pixar, and Jobs gets a Board of Directors seat at Disney. Pixar will continue to run almost completely autonomously.
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#19 of 78 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 06:24 AM

Too bad Jobs (Apple/Pixar/NeXT/whatever) couldn't just buy out Disney all together. I think he'd be a good owner for it, he let's John Lasserer do basically what he wants and I think he'd let the Disney animators run free with thier ideas while having Lasseter, who's good at controlling animators much like Walt did back in the day. While he's a hard assed guy and is known for being pretty tempermental and whatever he does show pretty good leadership skills. If it weren't for him I think Apple would've died back in the early 90's and we wouldn't have iPod's and iTunes and such.
I'm interested to see where this pairing of Pixar and Disney will go. I hope it's just left in favor of Pixar.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#20 of 78 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
If I were John Lasseter and Jobs sold to Disney, I sure as hell wouldn't stick around.

Disney would not be buying Pixar, if they they didn't think that John Lasseter was part of the deal, as they intend to put him in charge of Disney animation.

From today's NY Times article:
Quote:
Many of the terms have been worked out. The new animation division would be overseen by John Lasseter, Pixar's chief creative officer and a former Disney animator, who would work with animators at Pixar's headquarters in Emeryville, Calif., and at Disney in Burbank.
Analysts say a Disney-Pixar combination would be successful only if Pixar took the reins of animation at Disney, because the cultures are vastly different. "John Lasseter's role in any new incarnation of Pixar will be crucial," wrote Katherine Styponias of Prudential Equity.

Mr. Lasseter's involvement at Disney may end up contributing more to the merger's success than Mr. Jobs's, since it is likely that Mr. Jobs sees more of a future in Silicon Valley than in Hollywood.

If the merger does go through, Steve Jobs would be on Disney's board of directors and become the company's largest stockholder. There has been much press speculation that Jobs may become Disney's Chairman. Robert Iger might want to re-read Gil Amelio's biography.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow