-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV Guide/DVD Book

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Joe*R

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 10:16 AM

I have a question regarding this new book. Will there be new editions every year? I noticed that the year is listed on the cover.

#2 of 16 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,462 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 10:18 AM

You may want to contact Gord at TVShowsOnDVD.com as I believe they worked on the book for TV Guide.

#3 of 16 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 02:24 PM

Yes, there will be new editions every year with updated listings.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 16 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 01:25 PM

Does this book include every TV series ever released on DVD or just the numerous public domain TV shows on DVD collections that TV GUIDE put out?

#5 of 16 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 02:03 PM

I would guess, since Gord's website helped put the book together, that it's pretty inclusive. Question, though: how current is the material?
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#6 of 16 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
Does this book include every TV series ever released on DVD or just the numerous public domain TV shows on DVD collections that TV GUIDE put out?

That would be about 2 pages then Posted Image

It's everything we could supply them up until the end of June (I think it was June). The book will never, ever be as current as the website, but there's a lot of material that isn't on our site (it's TV Guide content).

It's worth the $13 to have a printed listing of DVD releases, as well as the extra material.

Gord

#7 of 16 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 06:40 PM

2 pages, Gord? The kind of book I was thinking would be more than a mere listing of TV shows, but detailed reviews of each. There could be hundreds or even thousands in a printed edition released by the editors of TV GUIDE.

#8 of 16 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 12:16 AM

No, I meant that if the TV Guide book just covered the PD releases they worked on then it would be 2 pages... if that.

Gord

#9 of 16 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 03:43 AM

I've always enjoyed books like these but is this book unbiased? I know some sites recommend just about every DVD set that's out there, which don't give an unbiased opinion certain shows. The fan has the choice but to check out online sources to read comments and reviews by fans online. For me? I don't go by reviews posted by either TV Shows on DVD or this site because they aren't very unbiased and they tend to be opioniated.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing for sites like yours but the reviews aren't generally aimed toward what a fan might think. Sure, Amazon is overrated and not a valid resource tool but it gives me an idea on whether or not to pick up a film because I scroll through the first few pages and get a general impression of a movie or a series I've never seen before.

I'd just hate to pick up this book and have it sound like every DVD Show is a "Highly Recommended Series" blurb.

#10 of 16 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 04:04 AM

First off, what dvd book are you talking about that has to do with TV guide? I have been buying the new TV guide and didnt see any DVD book.

#11 of 16 Katherine_K

Katherine_K

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
First off, what dvd book are you talking about that has to do with TV guide? I have been buying the new TV guide and didnt see any DVD book.

They are talking about TV Guide: TV on DVD 2006

#12 of 16 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
I don't go by reviews posted by either TV Shows on DVD or this site because they aren't very unbiased and they tend to be opioniated.

I rate sets based on the content and quality of the DVD sets, not the TV show. I'll share my opinions of the show (whether I liked it or not), but that doesn't play into the rating of the set. Reviews ARE opinions.

As for the book; it doesn't contain a single review of a DVD set.

Gord

#13 of 16 John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 01:01 PM

I'll stick with the web site, but this could be great for those who don't already know about it or are just getting started into buying TV-on-DVD releases. Having all the background info on the respective shows is a plus.

Posted Image Personally, I'd be more interested in a e-book or PDF format available through Amazon or something.

#14 of 16 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 12:48 AM

When I said "public domain" I didn't mean those releases not requiring a copyright to release (like those same episodes of The Lucy Show or The Jack Benny Program that are on so many different labels). I meant any and all TV series that are publicly available! Sorry for the misunderstanding! Posted Image

This book not containing any reviews could be a minus, but with so many releases out there maybe just the straightfoward information is all that's really needed for collectors.

#15 of 16 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 02:22 AM

Ahhhh, I get it now Jeff. I thought you were talking about the public domain titles that TV Guide put their name on (released by Genius Entertainment last year). There were just a handful of releases, so I wondered how you thought an entire book could be made with information about them Posted Image

Glad we got that cleared up Posted Image

Gord

#16 of 16 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
I don't go by reviews posted by either TV Shows on DVD or this site because they aren't very unbiased and they tend to be opioniated...

...I'm not saying that's a bad thing for sites like yours but the reviews aren't generally aimed toward what a fan might think.

Are you saying that fandom is unbiased?? If anything, diehard fans of a show are more biased than the average reviewer. A strong Pro-Bias isn't necessarily a good thing when it comes to providing a balanced review.

Your die-hard Trekkie or Browncoat is often unable to look past a show's faults, being so strongly biased by their love for the show - speaking as a Trekkie and a Browncoat... Posted Image

As for reviews being opinionated.... well... of course they are! Even when you look at transfers (as opposed to content), there are opinions and biases on what makes a good transfer. One needs to look no further than recent re-releases of films on DVD to see that - The Sound of Music, Witness, The War of the Worlds, Ben Hur, The Wizard of Oz.... The list goes on. Read any of those review threads and you'll see strong opinions, pro and con. Both sides may have valid arguments, but preference is based on the personal bias of the viewer. DVD reviewers and film and TV critics are not immune from bias - and shouldn't be.

-Scott

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow