Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Criterion Press Release: February Titles

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 44,027 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 12:50 AM

La Bête Humaine - One of Jean Renoir's most successful films, La bête humaine stars icon Jean Gabin in a role that captured the dark mood of a nation. In this blend of poetic realism and film noir, Gabin plays a train engineer whose chance for love is doomed by the tainted blood of his forefathers. Based on the popular Emile Zola novel and filmed aboard the trains of Le Havre, Renoir delivers a suspenseful ride into the psyche of a working-class tragedy. Cat: BET020 Title: La bête humaine UPC: 0-37429-17382-4 SRP: $29.95 Prebook date: 1/10/06 Street date: 2/14/06 Metropolitan - In an Upper East Side Manhattan apartment, a group of upwardly-mobile, twentysomething friends get together frequently to talk about social climbing, play bridge and discuss politics. Cynic Nick, philosophical Charlie, party girl Sally and Jane Austen-loving Audrey are joined by the much simpler Tom, who is critical of their way of life. A brilliant film of words and ideas, and one of the most important American independent films of the 1990s. Cat: CC1620D Title: Metropolitan UPC: 7-15515-01702-2 SRP: $39.95 Prebook date: 1/10/06 Street date: 2/14/06 Kind Hearts and Coronets - A humorous satire on the British aristocracy, and one of the most sophisticated black comedies ever filmed. Louis Manzzini's mother told him as a child about how she was rejected by her aristocratic D'Ascoyne family. Once an adult, Louis avenges her by becoming the next Duke of the family and murdering every potential successor to the title. Alec Guinness's deft handling of eight different roles earned him worldwide acclaim. Cat: CC1619D Title: Kind Hearts and Coronets UPC: 7-15515-01692-6 SRP: $39.95 Prebook date: 1/24/06 Street date: 2/28/06 Viridiana - Banned in Spain and denounced by the Vatican, surrealist genius Luis Buñuel's hilarious vision of life as a beggar's banquet is regarded by many as his masterpiece. Young novice Viridiana does her utmost to maintain her Catholic principles, but her lecherous uncle and a motley assemblage of paupers force her to confront the limits of her idealism. Winner of the Palme d'or at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival, this anticlerical free-for-all is as shocking today as ever. Cat: VIR040 Title: Viridiana UPC: 0-37429-21262-2 SRP: $29.95 Prebook date: 1/24/06 Street date: 2/28/06

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 04:12 AM

What a great selection of films! I recall seeing Metropolitan in theaters, what an excellent choice for Criterion treatment. And having just watched both Cat People films in the Val Lewton set, I was hoping someone would release additional Simone Simon films, especially La Bête Humaine!

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 07:11 AM

Good news on Viridiana. Any Bunuel is welcome - the most underavailable great director in Region One.

Whatever happened to The Milky Way? I thought Criterion was working on that for 2005.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 09:54 AM

I wouldn't until I read this post, but now I think I'm just about to consider buying all of these.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 11:29 AM

Might be picking up Kind Hearts depending on the quality of the extra's. The AB release was fine but I'll upgrade if the specs warrant it.

Have a slight interest in catching La Bête Humaine as a rental.

Not interested in the rest.
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Will*B

Second Unit

• 497 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 02 2005 - 09:25 PM

Very pleased about La Bête Humaine. I say this every time there's a new Criterion announcement, but where is Pierrot le Fou?

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 01:48 AM

I'm sure you'd get a LOT of arguments on that one! (For instance, one of my new fav directors, Aki Kaurismaki, has a grand total of one of his films available on R1 DVD. Fortunately I have the rest of his output on R2 discs.)

As for these latest Criterions, I really enjoyed Viridiana so I'll probably pick that up. Already have La Bete Humaine on R2 DVD (might double-dip though, as the quality ain't all that great). Doubt I'd d-d on KHAC though. Metropolitan was good, but not something I'd add to my collection. Still, a very nice selection of films. Posted Image

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Haggai

• 3,883 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 07:58 AM

Criterion's website is now listing Kind Hearts & Coronets with a $29.95 price, and with these extras:
Around the time that the Anchor Bay Guinness collection came out, maybe a little afterwards, I remember seeing an Ealing documentary on TCM, narrated by Daniel Day-Lewis. I wonder if it's the same one that'll be on this DVD.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

• 4,513 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:14 AM

That would be Forever Ealing which is on the R2 Ealing box set from Optimum and was made by Channel 4 and not the Beeb; in fact, I'm intrigued by which BBC productions will be used, but a little disappointed it's not a two disc set with a little more meat to it.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 02:47 PM

The Guinness documentary is likely to be the BBC's Alec Guinness: A Secret Man made in 2003 for its long-running documentary arts program*, Arena.

*that's programme to you Brits & Anglophiles Posted Image

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

• 4,769 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 07:27 PM

If it is this, then if memory serves me correctly, not all that much of the program(me) will be about Kind Hearts and Coronets. I've always found it a great pity that everyone seems to concentrate on Sir Alec with regard to this film. Although of course his performance is worthy of high praise, the rest of the cast is superb as well and I think deserve rather more credit than they tend to get. Not sure if I'll pick up this particular version if that's all the extras are. I already have a perfectly adequate R2 copy (and not the bizarre initial version taken from a print designed for French audiences).

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   PaulP

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 24 2005 - 02:45 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users