What's new

Did I burn up the Amp? (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
The following message is from a good friend of mine. I know enough about home audio to be dangerous but absolutely nothing about car audio. I was hoping someone could help me answer his question. Thanks in advance for any replies.

First, a little bit about what I have...I have an F-150 crew cab w/ a two amp configuration. A four channel amp for the door speakers (Phoenix Gold) and a mono amp (Kenwood 8512D) for a single 10" sub (JL 10W6v2). The amps are mounted under the rear seat. This past weekend someone was riding in the back seat and managed to stick their foot under the seat and pull the negative speaker wire from the terminal on the sub amp. Initially I didn't know what had happened so I stopped the truck and checked it out. Being that I am very impatient and that I didn't have a screw driver in the truck I decided to use one of my keys on my key ring to re-tighten the terminal. Just before I have it tightened back down one of the other keys on the key ring happens to touch the power wire on the amp and it arcs. Following this...no amplifier power (power light is off). So the first thing that I did was check the main fuse on the power wire (it's ok), then the distribution block fuses (ok), and then the amp fuse (ok). So all of the fuses are good, the other amplifier works fine too, but the sub amp will not kick on. Does this mean that I "fried" the amp? Is there any kind of internal fuses in the amplifier? What do I need to do?

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I apologize in advance for replying to my own thread but I was afraid no one would notice an edit to my original thread. I am use to dealing with other sections of this forum in which replies comes quickly. Is there a better place to post my friends question? Can someone recommend a more active car audio forum? I know my buddy is interested in getting his equipment back up and running and if he needs to order something would like to do so now so he could have it by this weekend.

Dean_S

Second Unit
There might be another fuse at the other end of the power wire for this amp (at least it was standard practice where I used to install to have both). It should be connected to the battery or the connecting block under the hood...look there for a blown fuse. Even if he can't find the other fuse he could do you simple check for piece of mind. Disconnect the power lead from the amp that's not working and put a 12V tester on the power lead, if it doesn't have power then it's not the amp...if it does have power then either the amp is fried or there is an internal fuse (doubtful if there's one on the outside of the amp that is NOT inline on the power wire).

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator
Wow... it sounds like you shorted something, and as dean said.. you gotta check all the fuses on the amp and the power wire that runs from the battery. Also, use a test light to or a multimeter to make sure you're getting power in every wire. But most likely.. you might have a blown amp on your hands... which sucks cuz old phoenix gold stuff was good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks