What's new

Anyone know anything about the KLH T1B speakers? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
These look nice, and I want to buy them but I cannot find much on them. One review that says they are great. Anyone have any experiance with them? How do they hold up?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
all I know is that they are not a display device :)

Moving to the speaker area!!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Andrew,

KLH used to be a highly respected brand back in the ‘70s, but as far as I know, they’re pretty near bottom end now.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RomanSohor

Second Unit
When I worked in Home Theater at Best Buy (up until about 4 months ago) KLH was the bottom of the barrel brand... we used to call it the "wal mart special"

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
I got a pair of 9250Bs instead. They are pretty nice. Also got a Sony SSCN550H center channel. Thanks for the help, though.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just before KLH slipped totally down the quality toilet (IMO), around 2003 or so they sold some speakers at Best Buy called the "Rave" series. My local BB still has an unopened one, so I'll bet some other stores have singles in their stock area too. Edit: found them.

The Raves I'm talking about are NOT the newer versions with all the plastic horns, carpeted outside and fake "pro" decorations. These are large floorstanding box speakers that look very similar to certain Cerwin-Vegas, down to their 12" cast-aluminum framed woofers (but with blue surrounds instead of red) and huge rear-mounted dual ports. They even had binding post connectors. I listened to them with 311's Transistor CD and IMO they sounded very good for their price-kinda bright but not harsh or grainy & the bass was very good (punchy, but not boomy). Back then they only wanted about $400 per pair.

But the WAF for these is very low: very large/heavy satin black boxy cabinets, probably measuring @3 cubic feet (this must have accounted for the surprising depth of bass I heard), with jet black grilles. Martha Stewart would not approve! :D Personally I thought they had a slightly sinister-but-cool style to them, great for a bachelor pad.

BTW: if you don't hear solid bass with these, make sure they are wired in phase! Because with these and also a pair of similar DCMs at Circuit City a couple years ago, they weren't wired in phase and so of course their bass was basically non-existant until I asked an employee to fix them. The CC guy who thought the DCMs sucked was amazed when he flipped the wires around and we hit "play" again (remember, do this with just ONE speaker). And proper mid & high frequency stereo imaging was also restored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks