Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to build a budget HT system...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 02:06 AM

I have about a $1500 budget on what I want to set up.

Now first off this is going to be in a bedroom and not a living room or basement or anything like that. The room itself isn't that large, so I can't clutter it so to say.

I don't want to go with a HTIB unless necessary, but I don't have 3000$ to drop on a system. This is basically a starter system that will eventually grow out once I move out of this house and get married.

Can anyone point me in a direction or give me some suggestions? I need a receiver and speakers obviously, but not sure if I should go with a 5.1 setup since the room is so small. I think a 6.1 or 7.1 setup may be too much for this small of a room.

Any guidance/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alan
"I'm not even suppose to be here today"---Dante Hicks, "Clerks"

"This job wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the F***ING customers"---Randal, "Clerks"

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 05:48 AM

What are your room dimensions? How small do you mean when you say a small room?

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 02:31 PM

I think you should order the new SVS 5.1 system for $899.

Honestly, I just want you to order it so you can let us all know what they sound like, but I'd be willing to bet they're as good as anything else you're going to find for $899. Then I would pickup the Harmon Kardon AVR-335 for about $450. It'd probably make a sweet system, but the SVS speakers are brand new, so there's not much to go on there.