Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

#*@X&$ !! daylight savings time got me again!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
260 replies to this topic

#1 of 261 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 12:28 AM

ARG! It's not 9:30am! I don't have to rush to meet this contractor at 10! It's 8:30am and I could have slept LATER! And now I have an hour to fill with nothing... ARG! How come no one told me last night about this?! They should make a giant announcement, set off flares, blow air raid warning horns or some damned thing!

Imagine a long string of expletives here, one after the next!

Goldarn daylight savings time! Posted Image

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#2 of 261 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 12:32 AM

go back to sleep...

#3 of 261 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 12:46 AM

Now you don't have to rush to meet him/her Posted Image
Kyle McKnight

#4 of 261 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 30 2005 - 02:47 AM

They should make a giant announcement, set off flares, blow air raid warning horns or some damned thing!
I saw/heard all sorts of announcements over the past two days...tv, radio, newspapers, internet...were you paying attention? Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 261 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
I saw/heard all sorts of announcements over the past two days...tv, radio, newspapers, internet...were you paying attention?
I guess I wasn't either, having just now found out through this thread.

--
H

#6 of 261 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
I saw/heard all sorts of announcements over the past two days...tv, radio, newspapers, internet...were you paying attention?

That's funny I never heard anything either. I guess college football games and horror movie DVDs don't broadcast too many daylight savings time advisories. Posted Image

#7 of 261 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 05:24 AM

What I'm worried about is that I wake around 5:30 AM every weekday morning on my own (habit from my daughter's infant days) and wonder if I'll be getting up at 4:30 now! Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#8 of 261 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 06:24 AM

I wish the powers that be that mandated this stupid time change would just PICK A TIME AND STICK WITH IT!!

It's like guaranteed jet lag at least twice a year, and it usually manages to screw everything up.

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#9 of 261 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 08:46 AM

Really, Everyone says that you get an extra hour of sleep. Lot of good that does after staying up to 2:00am to change the clock! Posted Image

While they are at it, do away with time zones. Just make one time for the whole Earth. In this global economy, it would save a lot of confusion.

#10 of 261 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,047 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 09:13 AM

Seriously, what would it take to put an END to the time changes twice a year??? Having it change right now is especially stupid since it already gets dark earlier with the time left the way it is. I saw an old movie theater trailer from around the 1930s with these two hicks trying to explain what time it really was to each other, followed by a message to vote for stopping the time changes. Whatever became of that?
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#11 of 261 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 01:17 PM

It gets worse every year. Congress passed an Act to extend Daylight Saving Time by a week, and Indiana [where, up to now, half the state has had DST and the other half has not, so they're in the same time zone half the year] is now mandating it over the whole state, but each town will get to choose what time zone it's in. Whose interest does this serve? It doesn't really conserve energy, since the additional evening daylight hour is balanced out by an hour of morning darkness, and it doesn't extend working hours considering that the whole country has electric light.

On the other hand, I'm not sure abolishing Zone Time is the way to go. Critical applications all use Greenwich anyway, and one would hate to be in the same situation as Russia, which may still be on the old Soviet rule of "Moscow time plus 3 hours DST everywhere, all year round." Considering that it's noon in St. Petersburgh and midnight in Vladivostock simultaneously, one can understand their economic problems!

#12 of 261 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 01:33 PM

I thought it was China that had a "one time fits all" system? Which is fine on the east coast, where most major cities are, but in the hinterland it must be pretty weird.

I got somewhat caught out like Micah did -- I was on holiday in New Zealand a few weeks ago when they switched to daylight savings, but we weren't sure which night it was to change, so I woke up unnecessarily early the day before the switch.

#13 of 261 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
Considering that it's noon in St. Petersburgh and midnight in Vladivostock simultaneously, one can understand their economic problems!
Wikipedia says Vladivostok is +7 Moscow, which has the same time zone as St. Petersburg, so you may be a bit off (because I know Wikipedia has been wrong before).

#14 of 261 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 02:39 PM

Luckily I use my cell phone as an alarm. Posted Image

#15 of 261 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 02:43 PM

I know China uses Peking time everywhere now, but I do recall that the Russians at least used to do the same thing. I think it must have something to do with planned economies.

Actually, Vladivostock isn't the farthest east of the Russian Far East, and Petrograd isn't farthest west: Uelen, abour 165 W, and Vyborg in Karelia, about 25 E, seem to be the appropriate points. Riga really is 180 degrees from the farthest east point in Russia, but Latvia is independent now. Kaliningrad, Koenigsburg as was, is farther west than Riga, and the Ukrainian Carpathians [also formerly included in the USSR] are at about the same meridian. This according to my brand-new National Geographic map of the world.

#16 of 261 OFFLINE   MichaelBA

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted October 31 2005 - 02:11 AM

Wait... what time is it right now?
He's got the bit between his teeth... all right!

#17 of 261 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 31 2005 - 02:31 AM

HAHA...I was wondering why it was so bright outside at 7:30am today, and I just now remembered why.

#18 of 261 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 31 2005 - 02:44 AM

I HATE this DST thing!

I was supposed to be at my parents house at 8am Sunday morning...I didn't set any of my clocks back (Sat. night), so when I woke up Sunday morning, my clock said 8:15am and I thought "Oh, good 7:15am, I've got plenty of time" - little did I realize that my alarm clock was one that automatically adjusts for DST so it really WAS 8:15am Posted Image
Quote:
Seriously, what would it take to put an END to the time changes twice a year???
I'm up for doing anything to get rid of it. The stress it causes is not worth any advatage we get from it. I mean, nobody has the exact same schedule, so who cares if we get more light in the morning (or at night)? If you're still in bed (or at work) when the sun goes up (or down) what does DST matter????

#19 of 261 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,402 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 31 2005 - 03:37 AM

So I slept in until what would have been 5 pm on Sunday but was justifiable because it was actually instead 4 pm. Then I tried going to bed at a reasonable hour in other to get up at 6:30 am this morning. I'm running on about one hour of sleep right now. Needless to say, I'd rather have had that extra hour last night instead of tonight!Posted Image

#20 of 261 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 31 2005 - 05:21 AM

I didn't set any of my clocks back (Sat. night), so when I woke up Sunday morning, my clock said 8:15am and I thought "Oh, good 7:15am, I've got plenty of time" - little did I realize that my alarm clock was one that automatically adjusts for DST so it really WAS 8:15am

Posted Image Done in by technology! Just wait until 2007 when all the chips in these auto-changers change the time on the wrong weekend and you have to fix the clocks when they change automatically back to where they were, then remember to change the clocks manually later on when the real time change takes effect. Fun, fun, fun! Posted Image

so who cares if we get more light in the morning (or at night)?
Apparently the breeders. They don't want their little devils having to walk to the bus/school in the dark in the morning. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow