What's new

'06 - Drew Carey, Step by Step , Family Matters, Night Court (1 Viewer)

John*D

Second Unit
according to TVshowsondvd/SitcomesOnline there is going to be a best of release for for these shows as part of the "Television Favorites" lineup.

The Drew Carey Show
Family Matters
Night Court
Step by Step

I know buying these releases would help get season sets, but I refuse to fall into the trap of buying a "best of" only to have full season sets released later. It's a waste of my money even though I want the shows on DVD!

If the WB wants to test the waters, let them have a POLL and we'll vote for what we want (a la SONY/FOX)! Hopefully season sets will be released even though I'm not buying this, and I suspect others won't either.

Personally, I'm interested in season sets of all of those shows except for Night Court, but if NC was released already with a S1 set, then they should just continue doing that. They have with Full House and Fresh Prince.

Links to the individual news articles:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It's easier to check a box in a poll than it is to plunk down $10 for a few episodes--that's why WB is testing it this way.

Personally, I don't think $10 is that much to spend to convince them to release a season set--although a best-of may be enough to satisfy me for Step By Step.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I would buy these single disc releases if it would mean that they would release season sets but out of Welcome Back Kotter, Cheyenne, Chico & The Man, F Troop, and Maverick, not one has been announced for season sets yet.

Paul

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I've already bought season 1 of Night Court. I'm not going to start buying some best of crap now. If they release season 2, I'll buy that, otherwise, to hell with them.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Without a doubt in my mind I would purchase every season of Family Matters. While I am happy that it is being considered for a potential release, I am ticked a bit that we are stuck with a compliation. The same goes for Step by Step, Night Court - which already is in limbo, and for fans of the Drew Carey Show. People need to realize that we the consumers do not want a sloppy compliation but a full, uncut season set. In having compliations, we are stuck with shilling out a higher price (look at the new Ninja Turtles discs) and have to wait a longer time. It's a matter of common sense. I am just happy that Fresh Prince is doing well enough to not get this "special" treatment. :frowning:

Next on the butcher's list I assume:

Perfect Strangers
Murphy Brown
Full House
Jaimee Foxx Show
Wayans Brothers

Ryan

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I personally think best-of compliations are usually not worth the money too. BUT, I think what some of you forget is that regardless of what we think, Warner has decided to do it this way. I'm a HUGE fan of Drew Carey and would definately buy season sets of The Drew Carey Show and Whoose Line is it Anyway. The news TVShowsOnDVD.com posted said that if these best-of compilations sell well, we will get season releases. True, a poll might be easier for us, but doing a best-of release as a test would really show Warner we want these shows (as was mentioned above). And, truthfully, $10 is a steal for 5-6 uncut episodes.

It seems voting, online petitions and the like are not enough. Warner just needs a little more confidence to push these season releases over the fence into reality. So, if we all pay the $10 AND contact Warner to let them know we want season releases, it would definately ensure season releases in the future. Perhaps, if enough support is shown, we'll get even better extras than otherwise might not have been planned.

Caution! If Warner does not see these best-of compliations sell well, they may never consider these shows again. Or, at the very least, push them back a couple of years.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like best of dvd's but if this coming to help me get my favorite shows on box sets then I'll do it...

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
The thing about Family Matters is that I don't really have an interest in the early seasons--I much prefer the more high-concept episodes of the later years--especially the last 2 years. Hopefully, at least one of the Myrtle episodes (among my favorites) will make it on the Best of DVD.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Full House won't make it in this format; they've already got a season 2 set releasing. If Murphy Brown is released in this format, I would be tempted to buy it just to have more of it on DVD. I can't stay up until 3:AM every day to see the show.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
These television favorites releases are an insult. This is a waste of time, and money. Ok, I buy the best of Drew Carey. it sells well, and another year from time of purchase we will have a season 1 set to look forward to.
How about they release the 1st season, all the fans of the show buy it, it sells well, and then season 2 gets underway. If i'm curious about a show to buy on dvd, I'd be 98% more likely to pick up a season 1 set rather than a best of compilation. I tell ya, if this is the new standard of how season sets will be released on dvd, we are doomed.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Best of set? Pardon my french but fuck em. Grow some balls studios and actually believe in your work instead of pulling this 'if they will buy a few episodes, then surely they will buy all of them....again' crap.

I will only buy the full season. I wouldn't even buy the split up season of Sex and the City, despite having the 5 seasons prior. :thumbsdown:

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Try to look at it from a view other than your own. Suppose I like Night Court and want to see its funniest episodes... does this mean I have to buy full sets of every season? Why can't I have a "greatest hits" version if I want!

Maybe some of us don't have a few days to devote to those old favorites and would rather just see the highlights on one disc...? What's wrong with that?

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
For Step by Step, hopefully the episodes will be spread out over the series run so we can see how Christine Lakin went from tomboy to hottie over the series run. :)

John Gido

Second Unit
Normally I would agree with not purchasing "Best Of" sets. However, based on the latest "Married With Children" season set, and the syndicated episodes contained within, I am glad that I have the 2 "Best Of" sets from that series.

In the Season 4 set, "Rain Girl" is a syndicated episode while in the Best Of Vol. 2, it is the unedited/uncut version.

John*D

Second Unit

What makes you think that the Night Court disc will contain the funniest episodes or is a greatest hits collection?

The problem is that they already released a complete season 1 DVD set, and are now doing a single disc release of various episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if the episodes contained on this disc will be from Sesaon 1, or at the very least contain some from season 1-9.

I would believe a majority of people interested in Night Court on DVD want the complete seasons, not random releases. Besides the complete season one is around $20 so it's not like the WB is asking a high price for a complete season in the first place.

These "television favorites" releases are NOT "greatest hits" releases, but just random episodes, AFAIK. Fans would rather spend the $20 for 13 episodes for the complete first season and possibly a little more for future seasons (20+ episodes per season) rather than $10 for 6 or less episodes that are most likely going to be totally random. That's the problem! Why go backwards?

:star: At the very least, for casual fans of these WB shows, they ought to have a single disc release containing the pilot episode or a collection of episodes. FOX has done this with their "tv starter sets" and include a coupon for $10 off the purchase of a complete season! At the very least...

I don't buy your view on the situation of preferring these single disc releases since the price of a complete season is $20 compared to the $10 for the single disc releases. There is also the fact that these aren't "greatest hits" or "funniest episodes" collections, but just random episodes, AFAIK.

:emoji_thumbsup: To each his/her own; I'll save my $ for the season sets and you can spend your money on these discs. Hopefully we'll all be happy and complete season sets will eventually be released for Family Matters, Drew Carrey Show, Step by Step, and Night Court.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks