Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Masters of Horror" thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 28 2005 - 05:35 PM

Did anyone watch the premiere episode of "Masters of Horror" tonight? It's a Showtime series featuring hour-long horror stories from such names as John Carpenter, Dario Argento, Joe Dante, and Don Coscarelli (director of tonight's episode). Here's a link to a more comprehensive credit listing:

http://us.imdb.com/t....dits#directors

I didn't know about this until a few minutes ago, but--being a Phantasm phan--I'm going to watch the premiere to see what Coscarelli came up with.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 06:37 PM

ooo neat Posted Image
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:33 PM

I changed from Starz to Showtime just for this series. That said, I'll spoilerize major plot points, but if you want to know nothing before seeing the ep, don't read further.

A great start to the series! Incident on and off a Mountain Road is one of Lansdale's stories that I've wanted to read for the longest time, but never got around to. That said,
I figured she had killed Bruce after I'd read an interview where it was mentioned that the most effective part of the story was the part with him and her. After reading that, it was just a feeling I had, but I was happy to be right, because it was a perfect development. The anal rape was surprising. It was great how she passed him off as one of Moonface's victims. Poor ol' Angus though, killed in cold blood. Posted Image

Speaking of Angus, he was hilarious. He pretty much cracked me up nonstop. The stuff about the eyes witnessing all the evil was interesting, and I liked the bodies being put up in scarecrow fashion. I liked the song that played at the beginning and end, though I have no idea what it was. Ethan Embry was fantastic, as was Bree Turner, who I thought to be very attractive as well.

Looking forward to the rest of em'!

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted October 29 2005 - 01:59 AM

According to an article I recently read in either Fangoria or Rue Morgue, Showtime is only showing the series but has no stake in it. It will not have unlimited re-airings (like HBO seems to do with its shows) and will be released to DVD in a much shorter time. It had not been decided if the series would appear as a season box set or as single releases, although I would guess that they would be paired up since the shows are only an hour long.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 29 2005 - 05:30 PM

Quote:
Bree Turner, who I thought to be very attractive as well.

Oh, yeah! I'm not familiar with her, but she's a damn pretty girl.

This is Coscarelli's second Lansdale adaptation as far as I know. He maybe ought to be the one to do Dead in the West.

Quote:
It was great how she passed him off as one of Moonface's victims.

I would have rather have seen her just dump the body at the camp. I'm sure the cops would have believed he had done it anyway. It's not too often you kill somebody and then come across a convenient psycho serial killer!

Her actions were pretty disturbing to me.

Quote:
Poor ol' Angus though, killed in cold blood.

Yeah, but who knows what his deal was. He already proved he was lying about being handcuffed. And, he alerted the dude that she was free. I don't know if he was a confederate or just nuts. But, yeah, I guess he could have just been arrested or something. That would have probably required her not to drill Bruce, unless she just wanted to rely on, "You can't believe that crazy old man."

Good to see Angus again.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 29 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hey Justin, I agree with you completely!Posted Image

Great episode. Creepy, atmospheric and solid all around, Keep em coming.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 04 2005 - 07:58 PM

Tonight's episode by Stuart Gordon was a bit much for me. I guess I'm more "softcore" when it comes to horror, but the subject matter kind of turned me off.

I'm not much into seeing babies hurt and killed. I've got a six-week-old nephew, so this was really bad timing for me.

But, I suppose it's the nature of a show like this that some episodes will appeal while others will not.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   GordonL

GordonL

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 03:25 AM

The first episode was ok but smelled like your typical teen-slasher fare. I liked the second episode better - creepier and more nightmare-inducing. Especially the part with
the witch with four nips. Posted Image And rats! I hate rats - especially rats with human faces! Creepy! Posted Image

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Judy Y

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted November 06 2005 - 03:46 AM

The song played at the beginning and end of the first ep was Gratitude's "If Ever". I picked it up on their cd "Gratitude" but it is NOT the acoustic version. We may only be able to get the acoustic version by buying the 2 cd set of the music from Master of Horrors. Bummer....

Judy

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted November 06 2005 - 03:08 PM

Quote:
This is Coscarelli's second Lansdale adaptation as far as I know. He maybe ought to be the one to do Dead in the West.

Last I read, Dead in the West was being developed by Sean Cunningham's son. As Lansdale's short stories go, I'm surprised they didn't decide to do The Night They Missed the Horror Show, unless the rights to that one have been sold to someone else.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted November 12 2005 - 10:12 AM

I think Hooper's was definitely the strongest episode yet. The premise was very intriguing, and the episode was full of great imagery. This one also had a rather big budget look to it. Definitely the most movie-like yet. I'm sure some won't care for a certain editing technique used throughout the episode, but I thought it fit the world the characters were living in quite well, and what a postapocalyptic world it is, beautifully realized. Pretty fine acting all around here, and Englund was a blast as usual. I wasn't sure what the terrorist weapon that ruined the world was exactly, but I guess Matheson's story would better explain that, not that that's a complaint against the ep or anything. I just thought it was interesting.

The ending was pretty groovy.
Once the mother and Englund were both there, I figured the mother had sold her daughter to him. I also thought perhaps Englund was Peggy's dad, and the mother had lied about that too, but that wasn't to be. It was cool seeing Peggy embracing the world around her in the end though, and giving her mother what she deserved.

Yep, definitely the best episode yet IMO. I loved Stuart Gordon's episode last week too by the way. Very dark with hardly any of Gordon's trademark humor.

Quote:
The song played at the beginning and end of the first ep was Gratitude's "If Ever". I picked it up on their cd "Gratitude" but it is NOT the acoustic version. We may only be able to get the acoustic version by buying the 2 cd set of the music from Master of Horrors. Bummer....

Thanks for the info.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 05:26 AM

I think they started off with the Don Coscarelli episode because he seems like the most competent director of the three. This was probably the best of the first three episodes aired.

I find Tobe Hooper incredibly over-rated, and think his episode was just complete crap. My friends and I got together to watch this series and watched the first three episodes back to back, and just wanted Tobe Hooper's to be over...

I like Stuart Gordon, but I think his episode could have benefitted greatly by the inclusion of Jefferey Combs...
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 06:52 PM

Just caught Jenifer tonight, and as a huge Argento fan, I view it as a disappointment. I thought it was okay, but nothing more. The makeup job on Jenifer's face was pretty grotesque, and her kills were pretty nasty as well. Some of Argento's trademark style managed to shine through, though I thought it was much more evident in The Card Player, a film that many say feels nothing like Argento (I totally disagree). That said, the storyline in general left a bit to be desired. I don't mind a simple plot, but I just didn't find it all that compelling, and some of the situations throughout didn't ring true to me.
Stuff like Weber forgetting all about his family and getting all cuddly with Jenifer after she's just eaten someone, not to mention him moving away and giving up his life rather than turning her back into the asylum or just killing her.
The flow of the episode also wasn't the greatest, and I found myself getting bored with the sex scenes. Aside from Weber, the acting wasn't very good either.

A rather entertaining episode, but where last week's episode was the strongest yet, this is so far the weakest one IMO.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 03:49 AM

Not sure if anyone is interested, but there is a 2CD soundtrack available for the series. I saw it at Target for $13.99 or $14.99...

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 20 2005 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
I wasn't sure what the terrorist weapon that ruined the world was exactly, but I guess Matheson's story would better explain that, not that that's a complaint against the ep or anything.

I've had the Matheson story for a long time in my copy of I Am Legend, but I had never read it until after watching this episode. I have since, and it is really no more illuminating on this point than the Hooper adaptation. As a matter of fact, Chris Matheson added quite a bit to his father's tale. The entire plot about Peggy's family was invented for the show. Basically, the short story starts with the car ride to the club and features only one dancing luppy, who is completely unknown to the characters. I think there are two references to a biological agent, and one of them was spoken nearly verbatim by Englund when he described the animated dead soldiers being found. Also, I believe the song they were singing in the car featured lyrics Matheson wrote, and there were two instances where the guy in the front seat read off a dictionary definition--that was directly from the short story.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Michael_EC

Michael_EC

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted November 27 2005 - 11:26 AM

The Mick Garris episode was one of the few that I wasn't really looking forward to, but I enjoyed it more than I expected. I thought Henry Thomas gave a good performance in the lead and I thought the story worked pretty well for the first 45 minutes or so. It kind of fell apart for me with the fight in the girl's apartment and I thought the ending was really flat, but it was certainly more watchable for me than Garris' recent Riding the Bullet.

Anyone know who's up next?

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 27 2005 - 01:28 PM

Joe Dante and then John Landis.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted December 09 2005 - 02:52 PM

So far this series has been a disappointment for me. Some good ideas here and there, but poor execution. Until John Landis' episode that is. Just awesome, and for once the low budget works for it and not against. I've always liked Benben since Dream On too, so that was a plus. I don't know what the best part of it was, the midpoint sequence with the cheesy dear monster, or the direct reference to An American Werewolf in London.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted December 15 2005 - 07:37 AM

I really enjoyed Dante's episode, "Homecoming" I think it's titled with the zombie soldiers coming back to vote. Amusing with a sharp political point to it as well. Other favs include Tobe Hooper's and the very first episode as well. The Landis segment was kinda funny and I had to laugh at the "Werewolf in London" reference. Of course my most anticipated episode is John Carpenter's tomorrow night!

However, I think "MoH" overall has been disappointing. I really HATE this juvenile obsession with sex scenes and naked women. Horror is and can be much more than that so I was hoping the filmmakes would use this opportunity to rise above such infantile junk. One would also hope there'd be more HORROR in a show called "Masters of Horror" but really, just what the hell was that episode starring Henry Thomas about? Did I watch a sorta spooky "Silk Stalkings" by mistake? Get smarter guys (or more horrific), whichever.

Even with all that, I'm also disappointed that Anchor Bay is releasing the series one episode at a time. What lamebrain thought that one up? There is NO WAY I'm doing this piecemeal, either do a season 1 set or lose a sale from me (and I'm sure many others as well.)

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Michael_EC

Michael_EC

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 01:58 AM

Did anyone see the posting on TV Shows on DVD that mentioned that Miike's episode won't air. It will apparently be released on DVD though. Still, disappointing news.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow