-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

does anyone else hate the wizard of oz?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 of 80 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 06:13 AM

Please don't flame me - I know that for a lot of you this is one of your favourite movies. I've tried to like it, oh God how I've tried, but I've got to come out of the closet and admit that I hate it. Every last vulgar tasteless second of it.

Please am I the only one who feels this way?

Note that if you like it, that's fine - I don't think that anyone shows a lapse of taste for liking it and I've no intention of casting insults at the legions of fans. And I wouldn't normally bitch about an individual film. But given the reverence with which this movie is held, I've begun to think it must just be me.

#2 of 80 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 06:22 AM

I don't hate it, but I can go without easily.

Now, Gone With the Wind, I despise.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 80 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 06:23 AM

Stanley Kubrick passionately hated "The Wizard of Oz".
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#4 of 80 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 06:29 AM

I don't hate "The Wizard of Oz" but definitely don't find it to be magical or timeless. Personally I can't see why "The Wizard of Oz" or even "Gone with the Wind" have lasted as long as they have. Maybe it's because I never grew up watching it. I would actually LOVE to see a remake of "The Wizard of Oz" done much closer to the book.

#5 of 80 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 06:40 AM

Um, no, but I hate It's a Wonderful Life and Gone with the Wind with a passion. Does that count?

It's a Wonderful Life is so sickly sweet the viewer overdoses long before the end of the movie. I was forced to watch Gone with the Wind for a history class. I was rooting for Rhett to slap the crap out of Scarlett long before he ever did.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#6 of 80 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 06:50 AM

Wasn't there already a "movies I hate that most everyone loves" thread? Do we really need to devote such a thread to a particular movie?

#7 of 80 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 07:00 AM

I do! I hate him! I hate the way he hides behind that curtain and tries to fool people. So mean!

Posted Image
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#8 of 80 Mark Seyb

Mark Seyb

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 07:13 AM

Thank you! Without going into details, you aren't the only one who DESPISES this film.

#9 of 80 DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 07:24 AM

Hey Andrew, I'm curious to know why you hate it so much? Is it the story, acting, singing??? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, just interested in hearing your point of view.

#10 of 80 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 07:36 AM

I don't hate it, but I don't love it and think it seems to be particularly overrated here at the HTF. I think it has a very weak third act and the book is due for a fresh adaption. I don't know why anyone would hate it unless they're just put off by its high regard, or for personal reasons. But as a film I don't see any reason to hate it.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#11 of 80 Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 07:51 AM

Hate is a strong word that I try not to use very often. It is not a film I enjoy. I love "The Wiz" though so what do I know. Posted Image

#12 of 80 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:04 AM

I don't hate the Wizard of Oz, but I do think it is overrated and has some flaws. For one thing, the film never resolved the Ms. Gulch subplot (does she come back to try to get Toto?)

I found this to be hilarious (from the IMDB):

Quote:
Rick Polito of the Marin Independent Journal printed in Northern California is locally famous for his droll, single-sentence summations of television programs and movies which the newspaper reports will be broadcast. For the Wizard of Oz, he wrote, "A young woman is whisked to a far away land and kills the first person she sees, and she must kill again in order to get home."
Posted Image

Quote:
Um, no, but I hate It's a Wonderful Life and Gone with the Wind with a passion. Does that count?

Whew, and I thought I was the only one who hated It's a Wonderful Life. Haven't gotten around to seeing GWTW though (I will one of these days).

#13 of 80 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:15 AM

Saw it once.

It was interesting to realize the origin of many cultural references that used to fly over my head. Like when in The Matrix, Cyphers tells Neo before his first trip "Kansas is going bye-bye"... That sure was a head-scratcher... while the city in the Matrix was never identified, it certainly looked nothing like Kansas.

I had heard references to a Cowardly Lion here and there, as well as Yellow Brick Road. And the Wizard behind the curtain.

All that came into sharp focus when I saw the movie 3 years ago.

Some nice productions values as well. Beyond that, I was bored stiff.

--
H

#14 of 80 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:26 AM

Quote:
Hey Andrew, I'm curious to know why you hate it so much? Is it the story, acting, singing??? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, just interested in hearing your point of view.

As you asked: I just find it dripping in cheap sickly sentiment. I loathe Judy Garland (am I the only one who thinks she's singing oh so slightly flat in a lot of her songs?) and her wide eyed over-acting, the story is twee (and am I the only one to find the message - 'there's no place like home' with its subtext of 'be happy to be poor and humble' ever so slightly patronising?), I couldn't give a **** whether the lion finds a brain (or whatever) because I grew out of that sort of story about the age of three, I think the witch is just plain awful, I thought the set design was twee, and overall it leaves me with the impression of taking a bite from a box of chocolates only to find they had an expiry date ten years previously.

Please note - if you like the movie, fine. I want to stress this is a personal opinion only. I have a soft spot for Mannequin so I'm in no position to occupy the moral or critical high ground.

However, boy am I glad that others at least partly share my views.

Quote:

Yep, hate them too. I stress I really have tried to watch and like both of these, but I find both of them extremely unappealing.

Quote:
Do we really need to devote such a thread to a particular movie?

Well you seem to think so, Robert, as you've contributed to it. Posted Image The reason for starting this thread is that it struck me that there seems to be practically a holy aura around WOO that I've not encountered about other movies on HTF (okay, Star Wars tends to be looked at with great reverence, but that tends to be by a sub-group of HTFers). I just wondered if the Pod People had got to all of us, or if there were still some WOO-haters out there.

#15 of 80 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,260 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:32 AM

Hey, its the only musical I enjoy!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#16 of 80 BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:34 AM

I don't hate it (I bought the 3-disc set), but the Munchkinland sequence is still rather disturbing to me! As a kid I used to leave the room every time that came on.

Oh, I love GONE WITH THE WIND, so there.

Posted Image

#17 of 80 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:37 AM

Quote:
you seem to think so, Robert, as you've contributed to it.
I think you've confused comment with devotion. And I've learned that NO movie is "revered" by everyone. If you think there aren't people who loathe (and have stated so here and elsewhere) various Star Wars movies as well as any number of other movies, including the biggest boxoffice successes as well as the most critically praised, then I have to wonder how much movie commentary you've read here and elsewhere. Did you miss this thread?

http://www.hometheat....vies you hated

Hence my question about why this film needs a "special" thread.

#18 of 80 StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:45 AM

I like the movie, but my sister hates it. I asked her why and she said she finds it drawn out and boring.

I hate Gone With The The Wind myself, but I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life. No one ever believes me when I say I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life.

#19 of 80 AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted October 28 2005 - 08:50 AM

He who hates 'The Wizard Of Oz' should also hate 'Star Wars' (1977), 'E.T.', 'A.I.' and 'Lords Of The Ring', for they are no different.

Alex

#20 of 80 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 28 2005 - 09:00 AM

I don't much care for it. It's the type of movie that I'm glad I watched once, but I don't really need to watch again. I really don't care for Judy Garland at all. I don't find her attractive in the slightest. I also find Somewhere Over the Rainbow to be fairly annoying. I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about that if it hadn't recently been voted number one on a list of the "greatest American pop songs." Pah. Something like "Stardust" should have beaten it by a country mile. And, yes, I do love classic American movies and pop songs.

I would only consider buying the DVD for the bonus silent films.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow