Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

frightening horror movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   ChrisTes

ChrisTes

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 05:37 AM

I'm looking for some amazingly scary movies. I just got my surround sound set up. Last weekend I watched "They" it had some great effects which really enhanced the movie. That's what I'm looking for. Other recent films I've seen include "The Ring 2", "Amittyville Horror (2005)", and "The Grudge". I didn't find any of them to be to scary. I'm really looking to be scared like I haven't been in a while. Please fill me in on any movies that you know of that have amazing surround sound effects that will have me looking for something in the corner or trying to answer the phone when it rings on screen. Thanks for your help. Chris

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 05:56 AM

Not a recent film but "Poltergiest" always freaked me out.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 06:32 AM

There's always The Exorcist. Scariest soundtrack ever recorded, as far as I'm aware. There's even a loud-ass ringing phone for you.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 07:14 AM

I dont know of any movie that really scares adults.
How about the Entity or Burnt Offerings. They are more horror than slasher.

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   ChrisTes

ChrisTes

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 09:08 AM

Ok well maybe not scary to adults but there are moments when you can be supprised. When something jumps out and you don't expect it etc. more like that I guess. Thanks for your suggestions. Chris

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 09:34 AM

Event Horizon
What Lies Beneath
Sixth Sense
Stir of Echos
Candyman

You will not be disappointed by any of these. Promise.
Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 11:12 AM

A few that I consider genuinely frightening:

Black Christmas
The Blair Witch Project
Prince of Darkness
Session 9
Long Weekend (finally on DVD)
The Entity
The Sentinel
Dead and Buried
The House with Laughing Windows
Don't Look Now

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 11:27 AM

I'm surprised that the anal-retentive word police around HTF haven't given you the riot act on your misspelling of "frightening" in your thread title yet.Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 11:44 AM

Not scary overall, but Exorcist III has one of the scariest scenes I've ever seen. I literally jumped out of my seat!

For those who've seen the flick, it's the scene

of a nurse working at a counter, doing her duties when suddenly the baddie is right behind her with a "device". What really sells it is the lack of music and long POV shot right before the baddie shows up.....

8^B
A Casualty of Casual Causality: My casual blog on the 'net.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 26 2005 - 12:25 PM

Kubrick's The Shining was voted 'scariest film ever' in a poll a few years ago.
Certainly up there as one of the most unsettling and creepy horror films ever made. The Shining's arguably the last genuinely great horror film to date IMHO, before the teen horror/slasher market took over.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Sergio Z.

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 02:09 PM

These are some older ones (Late 70's, early 80's) but they still have the "make you jump" scenes:
John Carpenter's The Thing
Evil Dead
Phantasm
Halloween III: Season of the Witch......
"5 more days to Halloween, Silver Shamrock!" Posted Image

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 02:37 PM

The Changeling
The Haunting (1963)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Suspiria
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - scariest ending ever.
Paperhouse
Candyman
The Others
The Eye has a really scary first 1/2, then becomes very lame very fast.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 03:26 PM

Ah, the annual "What's your favourite scary movie" thread.

In no particular order...

Below
Dawn of the Dead(remake)
Session 9(not your typical horror flick)
Evil Dead 2
Alien
The Others

But you said you're looking for "jump out of your seat" scares...then Below is a good choice. It's one of those movies where you expect something to happen, then nothing happens. When your heart rate drops to normal, that's when it gets you.

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 03:32 PM

Not so much a "jump out of your seat" title, but...

one word: MATANGO

If that's not the scariest movie ever filmed, don't tell me about it!

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   ChrisTes

ChrisTes

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 04:19 PM

Thanks i'm going to have to go hit the video store. I already went tonight but they're lacking some of these great films on DVD and I don't have a VCR player in my dorm room.

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Scott_lb

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 04:30 PM

The original "Halloween" scares the crap out of me to this day. There's just something about that expression-less mask that freaks me out. Also, the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" scares me as well. They got sort of campy/funny with the sequels, but I consider the original to be one of the greatest horror films of all time.

While I don't find the re-make of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" genuinely scary, it did have some good jump moments and was purely sickening and disgusting all around.
"My name is El Nino which in spanish means.... The Nino!" - Chris Farley

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 05:20 PM

Quote:
Also, the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" scares me as well. They got sort of campy/funny with the sequels, but I consider the original to be one of the greatest horror films of all time.

The third "Nightmare on Elm Street" is excellent as well, as it's kind of a mix between the darkness of the original and the humor that would become more pervasive in the later sequels. I consider it to be better than the original in many respects.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 472 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 26 2005 - 10:10 PM

I agree with DavidBC... 'Paperhouse' is great.

Personally, the scariest film I've ever seen is 'Dream Demon' from 1988 starring Jimmy Nail and Timothy Spall. It captures dream syntax like nothing else (except Rosemary's Baby - another FANTASTIC film).

(Although it's not quite as scary as Jimmy Nail's pop career)

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 27 2005 - 12:19 AM

Hey I just saw a scary one on AMC...well, no actually it was the most incoherent hippy trip of a 1973 film I have ever seen: A Name For Evil starring Robert Culp......what can I say about this muddled mess except that Culp look as stoned as I have ever seen him and it had a ghost..or something...and it had a mountain hippy orgy...or something...and the ending was.....something?

Avoid this at all costs, I am so mad that I have lost 90 minutes of my life to something as pointless as this...it didn't even cure my insomnia damn it!!
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted October 27 2005 - 03:03 AM

Justin_S is right on with "Dead and Buried". Watch that one alone in a dark room. I watched it last year around this time and haven't seen a scarier flick since.

Also, a couple of people have mentioned "The Others". This one has great creepy surround effects and always comes to mind when people are looking for that.