What's new

If you had a million dollars... (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ok the Office Space question. If money wasn't a problem what would you like to make a career out of?

I'd like to be a chef :D I'm sick of using my microwave and I have fun making eggs, even though that's the most complicated food I know how to cook.

How bout you?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I would donate it to charity.........BWAAA HAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAA!!!! Oh, man.....whew...

Seriously, I would donate it to charity....myself being the most needy charity I personally know of, I would gladly accept the donation on behalf of myself.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well yea :) but what would you do with your time? Nothing doesn't count because everyone gets bored of nothing sooner or later.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
But, I bet I could do nothing for quite a long time. :)

I'd probably travel. Alot.

Then, I'd try to go to Hollywood and become an action hero.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
If I had a million dollars? Two chicks at the same time. :)

Seriously, I would pay off my debts, buy a house, new car, finish school, and then open up my own video store.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I'd continue to work as a veterinarian as long as the money held out. :)

Seriously, I'd work, but only half days, so I could get in a round of golf every afternoon.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Cook, I love to cook so I might consider opening a restaurant but the dilemma would be that doing so might cause me to not like cooking.....it's easy to love cooking if you don't have a time schedule to keep to.
I also love machining & opening up a machine shop is probably less risky than a restaurant.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd buy you a monkey. Haven't you always wanted a monkey? :)

Being literal: if I won $1M, taxes would eat, say 40% leaving me $600k. Pay off the house, car, and school debts from siblings and I'd have maybe $100k left. Take a great vacation, and I've got about $90k. That would be put into savings, and I'd keep doing what I'm doing.

Now, if I had $10M free and clear, the world is wide open. I could retire and be the idle-wealthy. A true landed man! I'd probably give a bunch to family and some friends, to give them a further leg up. I'd carve off a major savings plan for myself. And for the immediate future, keep my current job. At least for now. I'm not sure what else I'm interested in that I could (sanely) spend all my time on.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
As Dave points out, one million just does not go very far. Well, up here in Canada, we would get the whole million (no tax on lottery winnings) so it would be a bit better.

With one million, I would retire and move to Vancouver or Toronto to pursue my acting gig.

With TEN million, I would start up my own production studio and make movies. (Starring ME of course!)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
1) Pay off house or move to a nicer area
2) Travel overseas for a few months - Europe, China to see my family village, Hong Kong, SE Asia
3) Come home and buy the local art house theater; maybe run it into the ground :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a K-car, a nice Reliant automobile."

Now thats thats out of the way...... $1M would buy a house, 2 new cars, and pay all my debts. It wouldn't leave too much else.

If I didn't need a paycheck to live on, some career options...

*Tattoo artist
*Treasure hunter
*Martial Arts teacher
*Professional eBay trader
*Film critic
*Music reviewer
*Restaurant critic
*Film/Movie director (and I'll give the good roles to Scott).

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I agree with the "million just ain't so big anymore" theory. It isn't.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't turn it down, taxes or no taxes. :D

With ten million, I'd buy a nice piece of property out in the country, and have a house custom built on that land - kind of a four plex, so that my folks and brother would each have our own little personal space. I'd include studios for mom and me - mom's a porcelain doll artist, I am learning silversmithing - and a workshop for my brother, who is a computer geek.

I'd also like to travel, and the two main places I am really interested in are Ireland and the Czech Republic.

As for the rest, I think I'd set up some sort of trust fund for myself so that I could have something that would grow, instead of pissing it all away in one fell swoop.

Colton

Supporting Actor
After taxes, I'd put the rest into savings and live off the interest each year. Easy living!

- Colton

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I think I'd end up writing a lot.

1. Novelist
2. Movie reviewer
3. Travel reviewer
4. Concert reviewer

Of course, I can do all of those now but I am not making any money from my unpublished novels! And I don't really have any special qualifications for the reviewer positions.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This is the game I play with myself everyday to keep from wandering into on-coming traffic!

"One Million Dollars!" (said with Dr Evil Pinky in mouth), sadly, does not buy much fantasy these days.

On the practical side I would pay off all current debt and then set aside enough to completely take care of college for the youngin's. Oh and remodel that one space in the basement that has "Chris's Home Bar" penciled in.

On the side that struggles with reality on an everyday basis - I would buy a really kick ass boat for summer's on the Chesapeake!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Let's see ... that's about £560,000. In the UK, this could buy me about ten decent meals in a London restaurant. ;)

Seriously, I've already paid off my mortgage and I like my job and house. I'd put £100k into each of my two kids' college funds, keep £160k for retirement and use the rest for charitable works. What I'd like to do is to watch local TV news, find people who seem to be having a rough time or alternatively someone who is doing work for the community wihtout seeking reward and send them anonymous sums of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks