Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why cell phone conversations are annoying

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 09:38 AM

I know there was a thread about cell phone conversations and how annoying they are...At one point, someone couldn't understand what's the difference between someone talking to someone (who was physically there) at normal volume and someone who was talking at the same volume to someone on a cell phone. I couldn't exactly answer what the difference was, but I KNEW that the cell phone conversation was definitely more annoying to me.

Anyways, it's obvious when someone is talking loudly...but I just heard some information that makes sense as to why 'normal' volumed cell phone conversations are SO annoying.

They say that our brains expect to hear both sides of a conversation. When we don't hear the other side of the conversation, our brains tend to concentrate more on the conversation and it actually frustrate us.

They said they did research with conversations (with two people in the same room) and found that if one of the people talked softly (to the point that the observer couldn't hear them), they found that the observer would get frustrated.

#2 of 18 Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 11:06 AM

Mark,

Who are these "they" you keep referring to throughout your post? Vagueness in postings is almost as annoying as not knowing the other side of a cell phone conversation. Posted Image

J

#3 of 18 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 11:13 AM

Justin, it was some scientific research. I heard it on the radio, so I can't link to the story and the DJ (who was reading the story) used the standard "a group of researchers", so I really couldn't tell you who "they" were.

#4 of 18 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 11:24 AM

I think people tend to talk louder while using a cellphone anyway.

#5 of 18 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 11:32 AM

Quote:
I think people tend to talk louder while using a cellphone anyway.
i know ... that totally kills me. it's like they think if you talk louder, it "increases" the signal strength or something.

that being said, i've caught myself doing it ... but i try not to. :b Posted Image

#6 of 18 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,758 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 24 2005 - 11:36 AM

Quote:
that being said, i've caught myself doing it ... but i try not to.

Reason #527 why The Ted is so popular! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#7 of 18 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 11:39 AM

It's almost like people think the farther the person receiving your call is from you, the louder you have to talk for them to hear you. Posted Image

#8 of 18 NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 04:30 PM

haha, yeah im guilty of 'cell yell' once.

my dad is guilty of 'cell yell' often.

#9 of 18 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 07:09 PM

Sometimes if the other person is in a noisy environment you have to speak up. I hate cell phone yellers though and I try to be as quiet as I can. On Friday, a yeller woke me up in the middle of my commuter bus naptime to say the same things over & over & over. Posted Image

#10 of 18 Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 02:07 AM

Nextel direct connect users are the worst because you get to hear both sides of the conversations plus the annoying "chirp".
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#11 of 18 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 02:26 AM

Quote:
plus the annoying "chirp"
OH MY GOD! I swear, that noise hits the back of my neck EVERY time I hear it.

It's bad enough that cell phone conversations are annoying, but to enhance the annoyingness, they have to signal the room when one side of the conversation is over. Posted Image

#12 of 18 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
Nextel direct connect users are the worst because you get to hear both sides of the conversations plus the annoying "chirp".

It's not Nextel, it's the user. That "chirp" can be turned off and the direct connect feature can be used like a phone.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#13 of 18 Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 03:14 AM

Ron-P is correct, it's the user. At my previous employer I was given a Nextel phone and the first thing I did was turn off the 2 way speaker and eliminate that chirp.

Why do Nextel users leave the speaker and that chirp turned on? Maybe they don't realize it can be turned off? Maybe they think it's cool to walk around going blah, blah, blah.... chirp..... blah, blah, blah.... Who knows.

#14 of 18 ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 07:07 AM

I work for said company and you'd be surprised at how people talk when they use direct connect. We just sit here and laugh.
For example,
They say stuff like "over and out" and "roger", CB stuff like that, all while talking to their wives.
The mind set they get is hillarious.

#15 of 18 Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 07:12 AM

I think the Cell talkers talk louder because there is something in the brain that says........"hmmmmmm the part of the phone that I am talking into is sooo much further away then my landline phone so I must have to talk loud....." At least that's my excuse:b .............

#16 of 18 Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
I work for said company and you'd be surprised at how people talk when they use direct connect. We just sit here and laugh.

So where are oyu listening from exactly? Do you have the ability to overhear people's conversations?

#17 of 18 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 08:10 AM

Quote:
I think the Cell talkers talk louder because there is something in the brain that says........"hmmmmmm the part of the phone that I am talking into is sooo much further away then my landline phone so I must have to talk loud....."
Also the fact that static and the crappy speaker volume (plus room noise) makes one think that they need to yell in order for the other person to hear them.

#18 of 18 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
They say stuff like "over and out" and "roger", CB stuff like that, all while talking to their wives.

Very true. The same thing goes on with the people I work with. I hear 10-4, what's your 20? 10-9 and the like from some, then those same people go to use the phone and revert back to normal verbage.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow