What's new

Alias Season 4 Packaging Gripes!! (1 Viewer)

JohnDuane

Auditioning
Well, I just saw the packaging for season 4 of Alias today. Again, Buena Vista has changed the way they do it. First they had double amaray cases for season 1. Then, with season 2 they tried to be consistent with more double amaray cases, but they added a clear plastic slip-cover. Not a big deal really. The packaging was 99% identical, I could handle that. Then came season 3. This time, the only thing similar to the other seasons was a slip-cover. The changed it all up and put each disc in a plastic tray and then taped them all together like a book. Now, I don't really have a problem with the specific packaging type, my gripe is that it looks NOTHING like the first two season!! It's shorter, thinner and looks really lame next to the first two seasons. Now, season 4. They changed it up to the exact same packaging as Lost and Desperate Housewives- a three panel fold-out with two overlapping discs per panel. Again, nothing horrible about the packaging type, it's again that it isn't consistent!! I'm worried about next year. Will they make another switch to those super-thin plastic cases? Will they go double sided and screw it all up more??

I wish Buena Vista could be more like other companies. Fox released Buffy and the X-files over like 5 years time and they were able to keep the packaging consistent. And when they didn't, we all complained and they offered us new Simpsons cases. Even Warner Brothers and their sub-companies maintain consistency with their Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond sets. It really doesn't seem all that hard to do! Arrgghhh!!

Sound off people! Do we like inconsistent, mismatched packaging? I really don't think so. Hopefully, one of these days, they'll hear our voices and show that they actually care about how the consumer feels.

ravma

Stunt Coordinator
LOL, Wow. Why am I not surprised?
Actually, you're totally wrong. They are being consistent, by NOT being consistent. :) I would have been shocked if the packaging was the same as Season 3. I totally expected them to make it like Lost/DH/Once and Again.

Josh-F

Auditioning
Can you give a list of Special Features? Who does commentary on what episodes? Stuff like that. Please. I haven't seen that stuff announced anywhere and it's really annoying not to know.

Amit Ashar

Agent
I haven't actually seen the packaging, so this may just be foolish optimism, but is it really that bad? The Alias season 3 box is the same height as the Lost and Desperate Housewives packaging, and just a tiny bit wider than the Desperate Housewives box. If the spines of the inner and outer boxes have similar artwork as the season 3 box, I don't think it'll look too bad on the shelf.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Also, how does the inner packaging come out (from the bottom like Alias S3 or from the right side like Desperate Housewives S1)?

John*D

Second Unit
At least it isn't a HUGE Sloan head or Rembaldi RED sphere or a Big MARSHALL head with his big chin...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, if you think about it the packaging reflects the show shifting gears every season. :)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Pictures?

I absolutely hate this packaging because I think it is a pain -- and makes for greater instances of scratched discs.

However, I have had good luck with my "Lost" and "Veronica Mars" sets when it comes to the discs being in good shape with that packaging.

Here's hoping that the same will be true for "Alias" Season 4.

Josh_HI

Second Unit
Well that sucks. But I am not surprised. I figured they would go the LOST format. BV needs to get its act together!

LOL yeah I thought about that also!

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
And, of course, every other Buena Vista title is wrapped around new changes for Alias packaging, which just makes me feel Alias is more important than anything else (which is good, because Alias is my favorite show).

PaulHan

Auditioning
Not related to the packaging issue, but here's the scoop about which episodes are where and what audio commentaries are on them per FYE.com:

Disc 1
Authorized Personnel Only (both parts, commentary by J.J. Abrams, Jennifer Garner, Ken Olin, Sarah Caplan)
The Awful Truth
Ice (commentary by Jeff Melvoin, Drew Goddard, Jeffrey Bell)

Disc 2
Welcome to Liberty Village
Nocturne (commentary by Lawrence Trilling, Jeff Pinkner, Jesse Alexander)
Detente
Echoes

Disc 3
A Man of His Word
The Index
The Road Home
The Orphan

Disc 4
Tuesday
Nightingale
Pandora
Another Mister Sloane

Disc 5
A Clean Consience
Mirage
In Dreams
The Descent

Disc 6 (the featurettes are on this disc)
Search and Rescue
Before the Flood

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have my review copy staring back at me, but I won't get to it until next week (due to other DVDs to review and the theme month happening at my site). Yes, the packagaing does suck.

Amit Ashar

Agent
Boo! The episodes aren't in the intended order. Damn you ABC, for changing the episode order to appeal to new viewers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks