Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Breakfast At Tiffany's Anniversary Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 of 35 TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted October 21 2005 - 03:16 PM

After BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, TWO FOR THE ROAD is my favorite Audrey Hepburn performance.
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#22 of 35 rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 21 2005 - 05:10 PM

Audrey Hepburn is one of those rare actors that appeals broadly to both men and women. That's something.

Perhaps there is no one signature role for Miss Hepburn. But for film icon, the role certainly was Holly Golightly.

I've warmed to Breakfast at Tiffany's over the years. Maybe as I get older the roles seem more compelling.

#23 of 35 Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 02:58 AM

Quote:
I've warmed to Breakfast at Tiffany's over the years.

I don't "get" this movie. I've never connected w/ it. Loved Hepburn in "My Fair Lady" though.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#24 of 35 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 08:15 AM

I have to agree that Breakfast At Tiffany's and Two for the Road are my favorite Audrey Hepburn pictures. They are almost the only ones where she is paired with someone her own age.

I never thought she was very good in My Fair Lady. She was too old for the part. Eliza should be in her early 20's. And of course she did not do her own singing. The speaking and singing voices (Marni Nixon) didn't match to my ear. I just did not believe her in the part.

I did love her in Charade and I love the location filming in Paris.

#25 of 35 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 09:00 AM

wonderful news indeed
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#26 of 35 MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 01:33 PM

Quote:
Definitely. In my opinion, the best film in the whole Criterion collection! A great film indeed.

Holy Cow!!, not even close. Charade is good..but there are so many that have so much more to say and are better films in the collection . It's not even in Cary's top 5. In my opinion of course..lol.

Love Breakfast ,and I know you lovers will hate this..but as I look through the movie database and see the list of classic stars and the films they have made and see so many films that still go unreleased completely. I hate to see double dips when those much wanted extras will be watched once and forgotten. Devote the money to unreleased films.

#27 of 35 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 02:03 PM

Holy Cow!!, not even close. Charade is good..but there are so many that have so much more to say and are better films in the collection . It's not even in Cary's top 5. In my opinion of course..lol.
Well I don't expect others to agree, but I stand by it. I agree that it's not Cary Grant's greatest film, but then North by Northwest isn't part of the Criterion collection (to my knowledge, only two of his films are).

I've only seen 12 of Audrey Hepburn's films, and by far the worse (IMO) was Two for the Road. I'll never understand the appeal of that film.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#28 of 35 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,244 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 22 2005 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
I've only seen 12 of Audrey Hepburn's films, and by far the worse (IMO) was Two for the Road. I'll never understand the appeal of that film.
I'm assuming you haven't seen Paris When It Sizzles? The only good part about it was seeing Audrey briefly do the twist in a medieval princess costume.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#29 of 35 rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 22 2005 - 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming you haven't seen Paris When It Sizzles? The only good part about it was seeing Audrey briefly do the twist in a medieval princess costume.

Not a great film but far from a film to dump on. I enjoyed it. Plus film lovers can enjoy the many inside jokes and references made in this film.

#30 of 35 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 04:31 PM

I'm assuming you haven't seen Paris When It Sizzles?
Nope. The ones I've seen:

The Lavender Hill Mob
Roman Holiday
Sabrina
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Charade
My Fair Lady
How to Steal a Million
Wait Until Dark

Funny Face
Robin & Marian
Always
Two for the Road

The first eight I love, the last four I could do without.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#31 of 35 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,244 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 22 2005 - 04:45 PM

Quote:
The first eight I love, the last four I could do without.
I'm pretty sure you'll make that five with Paris. Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#32 of 35 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,166 posts

Posted November 01 2005 - 10:11 AM

Artwork has been posted here. Still no word on bonus features or whether it has been restored, though.

Andy

#33 of 35 RickyB

RickyB

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted November 01 2005 - 06:43 PM

I just want to say that Charades is the only Audrey Hepburn film I've seen, and I really enjoyed it. Sorry I have nothing to add to the discussion at hand. :b

#34 of 35 rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted November 01 2005 - 11:49 PM

Packaging looks fine. It might have been neat if they went with Tiffany Blue wrapping paper for the outer case but so be it. At least the blue background of Audrey's photo represent the color.

Minor though. It is all about the film.

#35 of 35 Dave GR

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted November 02 2005 - 01:13 AM

Quote:
Still no word on bonus features or whether it has been restored, though.

"Joe91" at thedvdforums.com (it won't let me post the link, cos I'm a newbie Posted Image ) has posted the following:

Quote:
Audio Commentary by Producer Richard Shepherd
The Making of a Classic
It's So Audrey: A Style Icon
Brilliance in a Blue Box Featurette
Audrey's Letter to Tiffany

He doesn't give a source though.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow