-

Photo
- - - - -

SpikeTV acquires rights to Star Wars film franchise.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 08:51 AM

From Variety via Pro Wrestling Insider

Variety reported today that Spike TV has purchased the rights to all six films of George Lucas' Star Wars saga, the biggest feature film franchise in history,
for a cool $70 million in a bid to regain ground that was lost with the departure of World Wrestling Entertainment programming earlier this month.

Spike outbid several competitors including the USA Network and Turner Broadcasting, bringing the price up further than an estimated $50 million. The article
noted that Spike was aggressive in nailing the Star Wars deal to offset the WWE loss. A Spike TV spokesperson declined to comment. The first Star Wars
film will hit the Network in April 2008 with plans for marathons and other specialized programming on the drawing board.

That's a lot of coin.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 19 2005 - 09:47 AM

Bet you get commercials every 3 minutes with it, and those wonderful pop up ads that cover a good 40% of the screen. Not to mention it will be pan and scan. But i dont watch much TV for those very reasons anyway. But if Spike has $50 million burning a hole in their pocket. God Bless DVD.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 11:52 AM

WOOKIE SMACKDOWN!!!! Posted Image

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Marc Bax

Marc Bax

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 12:31 PM

How does this offset the loss of WWE? Are they planning on running 1 a week for eternity? 2008? I just can't see spending that much money on movies that most everyone will own in a better form by then.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 01:07 AM

yeah spending 70mil to offset a "loss" doesn't sound like smart business.. especially if the channel doesn't make it to 2008!!
"As long as you are out there, I can never be number one...."

My DVD List

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 02:54 AM

So the films won't hit for another year and half, after the 30th Anniversary (if it is celebrated), possibly after HD versions have been released to consumers. Wow, Spike is either incredibly stupid, or...well, I can't think of anything but incredibly stupid. I hope that it doesn't mess with HD airings, since I don't think Spike has plans to go high-def in the near future.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 06:43 AM

Do people actually know how to find Spike TV? And will the chance at watching Star Wars for the 14th time actually make them care enough to look? How is this worth $70 mil? Man, I just think of all the money that is over spent and think, "Why can't they pay $60 mil and give me $10mil?"
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 07:01 AM

And will the chance at watching Star Wars for the 14th time actually make them care enough to look? How is this worth $70 mil?

Agreed. I don't get it. Who watches this kind of high-profile movies on TV anyway, when you can rent them in much better quality and commercial free for just a few bucks, or buy them and watch them whenever?

This makes no sense to me. Unless they also got a first-look option for the Star Wars TV-series or something.
/Mike

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,008 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 20 2005 - 07:54 AM

After spending $70 million, Spike will pretty much become the Star Wars movie channel. They'll be play the movies an obscene amount of times and will be charging a good amount of money for ads during the movie. Each movie will run at least 3 hours on TV which means anywhere from approximately 55 to 35 minutes (depending on the movie) of commercials each time each movie plays. That's alot of ads. They'll charge more for ad time because it's Star Wars and it's exclusive to them. They'll easily make their money back.

It's not like Spike agreed to pay $70 million because they don't think that they can make that much money from advertising.

As for a first look option on the TV series, I'm sure they plan on having a network (if only for the budget) for the series not a cable channel known for MXC and CSI reruns. Posted Image

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 20 2005 - 08:24 AM

Methinks the title of this thread should say that Spike bought the rights to show the Star Wars films! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 08:51 AM

As for a first look option on the TV series, I'm sure they plan on having a network (if only for the budget) for the series not a cable channel known for MXC and CSI reruns.

Well, it could be part of a new push by Spike to become a "real" channel like Bravo or F/X. The budget for the Star Wars TV show is about $1.8M/episode (according to Rick McCallum in Entertainment Weekly), so I think a smaller cable-only network could carry it (it's not unlikely that it follows the Star Wars movie model and will be self-financed by LucasFilm and then sold to the network, so they wouldn't have to put any money up front).
/Mike