What's new

Dell keeps sending me monitors? (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
I feel like by posting this I'll jynx myself and won't get another one but oh well. I'm curious as to if anybody else has had a similar "problem".

I wanted to replace the first one I got because it had a good number of dead pixels. So they sent me one and I sent the one I had back. 2 or 3 days later they send me another monitor. Then Friday at the end of that week they sent me another one. So by the weekend I have 3. I decided to take one out (hehehe) and hook it up cause i've never had dual monitors before. Very cool, still got them hooked up now. So weekend goes by, nothing on monday. Yesterday, another one arrives at the door. By now im going "what....in....the....hell" and at the sametime i'm laughing. Low and behold, today....another one.... Including the one that is truely mine, I have five 24" widescreens. The rest are being collected in the corner in the dining room.

Can anybody relate to this limbo?

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Sweet!

I just bought a 24" dell widescreen, and have already called for a replacement because it makes a high pitched squealing noise when it gets warm. Make sure yours dont do that. See this thread for more info.

Here is a pic of my setup:

I have 2 17" viewsonics and the 24" dell:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
They'll figure out they've screwed up eventually and try to collect for them after (hopefully) contacting you. Technically you requested at least the first one so the "If I never asked for it, I can keep it." rule of thumb is out the window.

Even if that weren't the case it's not worth it...you know they're not yours and Kharma will bite you in the butt eventually. ;)

Call Dell and make them give you return air bills.

I'll bet that dual monitor setup looks sweet, though.:D

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna call them once im sure the monitors stop comming.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...9----000-.html

That seems to suggest I can keep them. Paul I've been through enough emotionally damaging stuff in my life to make a priest commit suicide, if once in my life something extraordinary happens to me at the small expense of a billion dollar company, it doesn't bother me to much. I do have strong morals but to make a percentage comparison it would be like me dropping a nickel on the ground and somebody else picking it up. What does bother me is the chance that whoever made the mistake could lose their job, that I don't want to be a part of. Still I'm going to wait and see if anymore come. If none come by next Friday I'll suppose it's all done with.

I don't think anymore will come anyways. Seems like the way of the universe to make this stop happening when I bring it up to a mass amount of people, if I kept it a secret maybe I'd end up getting a bunch more. God needs to leave me be and get a map of africa. I've never deserved anything I've ever gotten so the fact that something like this would happen to me just makes me stutter.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
OR....

Just hold on to them until they contact you. Dont open them or anything. Give them....say a year or so to request them back.

Hey Jeff, that monitor setup looks very nice! I have a three-monitor setup with 3 19inch Sony lcd's that look similar to your setup. They each have two inputs (one dvi and one 15pin) so I utilize my two computers video cards and my Tivo cable TV DVI out to swap between different views. It's lovely!! When I'm not using it, I have a screen saver from one computer that spreads out over all three screens. It looks so cool in pitch dark! I wouldnt have it no other way now!!

I originally bought it for surround gaming but it turned out to be harder than it seems. Still the possibilities alone were too much to turn down. $1500 for all three after rebates hurt but the 12ms sold me.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Yes lookin good there Jeff. I'm curious on whether or not I can get 3 monitors going, my video card only has two connections, well....3, DVI VGA and S-Video. My card is an ATI X850 XT PE.

James T

Screenwriter
That's pretty funny. I guess someone forgot to close your ticket when they recieved their monitor back. I agree with exeryone else and double check my credit card bill to make sure there isn't a few extra charges on it.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I dont think the svideo will work along with the other two Allen. I think I read that somewhere.

Anyway, what you can do is use the AGP card to connect two monitors and then buy a cheap $15-$30 PCI video card for the third one.

I have a motherboard the supports the PCI-express video cards, so I bought two video cards that have 2 DVI outputs each on them. But this is the extream route if you want the 3 moniter setup.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Mark wouldn't there be a resolution support issue with a cheap video card? 1920x1200.

Getting an adaptor that lets me hook up two cords into one input wouldnt work right, the only result would be displaying the samething on two monitors?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'd keep a close watch on any credit card you've used with dell.

also, you'd most likely be getting a call (or contacted somehow) before anyone loses their job.

CJ

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Well yeah, just make sure the card supports up to the resolution your looking for. From my experience, most cards these days...even most older ones suppport pretty high resolutions.

Heres a PCI Video Card that supports the resolution up to 2048x1536 and 32 bit color. Only $40. Im sure you can find cheaper than this too out there.

I think an adaptor that your speaking of will just split the signal out, cloning the same image on both moniters. Maybe someone else can confirm this since I've never actually tried it.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
I'm confused how it works. Rather im confused how putting something like that Radeon 7000 in with a Radeon X850 XT PE will work out so the 7000 knows it's the left monitor. Also confused on how switching system heavy media or programs from an X850 screen to that screen. Can you explain?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

The OS itself will take care of that. Once the vid cards are installed, when you bring up the monitor properties box, you can choose which monitor you wish to be what.

Moving programs between the two monitors is basically drag and drop, the two monitors can act as just one big desktop. The only problem is sometimes if you move a dvd movie playing or anything that is running a video, the video may go black. But basic windows (like word or IE) will simply just move over.

That make any sense??

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
The graphics card wont be able to work together as ar as gaming and stuff? What about those Dual 7800 GTX setups, does those guys work together to be even more powerful or are they seperate?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Here at work, the engineering department ordered a $11,000 HP 42" plotter.

Two of them showed up on the loading dock.

These things are 250 lbs each! How can you accidentally put an extra one on the truck!??! I mean, it's not like they were stuck together and you didn't see it!

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
When I ordered a Viewsonic 17" LCD from dell, they shipped 2 of them.

Only one was on the credit card. I hooked them both up, and once that was done there was no way I could go back to a single monitor. A few days later, the 2nd one showed up on my credit card :-(

I kept them both though, multi-monitors are great.

Jeff

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Now there's a nice way to sell more monitors, just ship people an extra one and then bill them for it, and hope the people don't return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks