-

Photo
- - - - -

Need Video/Capture Cards Recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Tommy_N

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 07:01 AM

Hello All,

So I am in the process of adding some PVR and media server features to my PC. I need to upgrade my video card and I could really use some help.

I am using 128mb integrated video card that came with my Gateway PC. A friend had sold me an ATI Wonder a couple of years ago. However, I was not happy using it to watch TV. The quality was quite poor, although this might be related to how I was splitting my cable TV. The video card recently burned out and I went back to using the card that came with my PC.

From my understanding I need a video card and a capture card. Or, I could use an ATI All In Wonder that has both of these features on one card. My understanding is that two separate cards will give me better performance.

I’ve been looking at some of the Hauppuage cards, but I’m having difficulties telling the difference between some of them.

I won’t have an HDTV until next year so I don’t need that functionality. Although, if it is not too much more expensive I would like to make this HTPC as future proof as possible.

Any suggestions? If it helps the PC is a P4 1.8 mhtz with 256mb of Ram. When I do this upgrade I am going to add another 512mb.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Tommy_N

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted October 21 2005 - 07:30 AM

Bump.

I'll try a different question Posted Image

Which card do you use and are you happy with it?

Regards

Tom

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Matt Wright

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 06:40 AM

This should help with your Hauppauge confusion
http://htpcnews.com/...?showtopic=1931

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 11:42 AM

Well, just as an orientation, if you want to do HDTV on your computer at some point, the requirements for that are a CPU of 3+ GHz.

However, you don't need a "capture" card if I understand you correctly, but a TV tuner card, like the Hauppauge ones.

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Tommy_N

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to go with a Hauppuage PVR-150.

However I now have a couple more questions:

How important is the actual video card? I assume for good picture quality I would still need a good card. Any recommendations?

Does is have to be at least 256MB? Can I get by with a cheaper 128MB card?? What about the cards that are 256MB but only 128 bits? What does this mean? Most of the reviews I’ve read are geared towards gamers so I’m not sure how that relates to my needs.

Originally posted by Christian:
Quote:
However, you don't need a "capture" card if I understand you correctly, but a TV tuner card...

What is the difference? I thought capturing meant doing all the PVR functions, such as recording video from cable/sat.

Thanks

Tom

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Matt Wright

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
What is the difference? I thought capturing meant doing all the PVR functions, such as recording video from cable/sat.

The terms are essentially synonymous. A PVR-150 will do just fine Posted Image

As for the graphics card a GeForce 6600 is the favorite for doing all things PVR, HD, and DVD.

Forum Nav Content I Follow