What's new

South Park 6 Censoring (1 Viewer)

Scott Engleman

Auditioning
Has anyone noticed an unpleasant difference in the censoring of South Park on the latest release? Perhaps it's referenced in the commentaries; I haven't listened to those yet, but I've noticed it in two spots.

At least two phrases that I believe involved the F- word have been completely replaced with silence, rather than the typical "beep". The surrounding words are removed, too, so you just get a dead spot in the audio. I've checked to see if there were any menu options pertaining to censorship (ala Family Guy: Stewie), but couldn't find any.

In episode 606, "Professor Chaos", the boys fire Butters as their best friend, and hold auditions to replace him. At the first audition gathering, Clyde pipes up and says "What if we don't want to be your friend", and Cartman answers "Clyde, (silence while lips still move)". I believe the original broadcast may have been "Clyde, (bleep) off."

In episode 605 "Fun With Veal", Cartman feeds meat to one of the calves, leading (I think) Kyle to say something like "Dude, that is (bleep)ed." Again, replaced with total silence while mouths move, including during the surrounding words.

My point is, we need the surrounding words to "guess" at what is said, within context, so it was better to have the "bleeps" along with the surrounding phrase.

Again, I could be misremembering (it's been 2 years since these aired), but I don't think so...

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

They're broadcast on Comedy Central, so they have to be censored. I don't believe that an uncensored version is ever created; other than the movie, I think all South Park episodes maintain the same censoring on DVD that they had on original broadcast. That's why these anomalies caught my ear; I was expecting bleeps, and didn't hear any, but I saw mouths moving.

Maybe South Park started cutting back on the profanity in S6. Since I don't have these shows on VHS, I was only comparing them to memory, so I must be wrong.

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

I just checked, it does on mine, too. I remember now, I felt certain that he said "Dude, that's (bleep)ed up" on the original broadcast, not "messed" up, and so that one was still in my mind when I watched "Chaos". It just struck me at the time I watched it that "messed" had been dubbed in. Must just be a case of me misremembering...

Of course, there would be no reason that I can think of for removing one censored word and replacing it with an uncensored (or no) word, unless someone felt that the original "bleeps" weren't effective enough at covering the profanity.

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

Doesn't seem possible to even make a syndicated version of this show, particularly in a season which has Lemmiwinks :)

I did notice that not a single bleep occurs during the episode "Professor Chaos". The word "fudge" is used frequently (though that does gibe with my memory of the original broadcast), but there is no profanity that requires a "bleep" anywhere in the episode. Come to think of it, I didn't recall any censored profanity in the "Veal" episode on DVD, either. Perhaps there was a move this season to get away from censored profanity.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i just checked my broadcast version of veal and it said messed up.

and on the other one he goes. clyde... uh..(sigh) ok. first thing we have to do...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Actually, this came up around the time that "it hits the fan" aired. Basically, they just think it's funnier to do things like say shit 100+ times in one episode, and then beep it the next week.

StoshS

Agent
the professor chaos epsiode part your talking about cartman says fudge the whole time, just like the original episode. clyde fudge you , go fudge your self, and get the fudge out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

They have definitely shown the episode with 100+ you-know-whats hitting the fan uncensored on TV at least once. As part of the "Secret Stash," IIRC.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
They've mentioned in commentaries that they use the bleeps because they feel it's funnier that way than without bleeps.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
anybody know how long the wait until season 7? 7 and 8 are actually my favorite seasons of the show, season 9 has been kinda blah thus far, but I'll still get it for the Wing and hippie episodes.

I have a hard time believing I've come across so many people who gave up after seasons 2 or 3. I remember saying in a chat room that I was looking forward to the season 8 premiere the night it premiered, and a bunch of people were "South Park is so 1998" and "that's still on??". IMO the show was barely getting off the ground then in the early seasons, compared to the brilliance in seasons 4-8 (I think season 9 can be salvaged, there were a few bad episodes in the second half of season 8, but Paris Hilton, Woodland Critter Christmas and the cough syrup episodes completely salvaged it).

StoshS

Agent
what ever happened to the unaired lemewink episode that never aired. it was suposed to air as the easter episode but something happened and they aired a different episode.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

Wow, I have always felt that and have never actually seen anyone else express a similar sentiment. Chappelle's Show is vastly less-funny, in my opinion, uncensored.

StoshS

Agent

yea same with me, id rather have bleeps in it. when i heard the chappelle show was going to be uncensored i thought cool, but when i actually watched it , it wasnt as funny, but its still pretty funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks