-

Photo
- - - - -

South Park 6 Censoring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 OFFLINE   Scott Engleman

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 11:43 AM

Has anyone noticed an unpleasant difference in the censoring of South Park on the latest release? Perhaps it's referenced in the commentaries; I haven't listened to those yet, but I've noticed it in two spots.

At least two phrases that I believe involved the F- word have been completely replaced with silence, rather than the typical "beep". The surrounding words are removed, too, so you just get a dead spot in the audio. I've checked to see if there were any menu options pertaining to censorship (ala Family Guy: Stewie), but couldn't find any.

In episode 606, "Professor Chaos", the boys fire Butters as their best friend, and hold auditions to replace him. At the first audition gathering, Clyde pipes up and says "What if we don't want to be your friend", and Cartman answers "Clyde, (silence while lips still move)". I believe the original broadcast may have been "Clyde, (bleep) off."

In episode 605 "Fun With Veal", Cartman feeds meat to one of the calves, leading (I think) Kyle to say something like "Dude, that is (bleep)ed." Again, replaced with total silence while mouths move, including during the surrounding words.

My point is, we need the surrounding words to "guess" at what is said, within context, so it was better to have the "bleeps" along with the surrounding phrase.

Again, I could be misremembering (it's been 2 years since these aired), but I don't think so...

#2 of 67 OFFLINE   Eric James

Eric James

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
In episode 605 "Fun With Veal", Cartman feeds meat to one of the calves, leading (I think) Kyle to say something like "Dude, that is (bleep)ed." Again, replaced with total silence while mouths move, including during the surrounding words.

On my DVD Kyle says to Cartmann "Dude thats messed up"

Quote:
In episode 606, "Professor Chaos", the boys fire Butters as their best friend, and hold auditions to replace him. At the first audition gathering, Clyde pipes up and says "What if we don't want to be your friend", and Cartman answers "Clyde, (silence while lips still move)". I believe the original broadcast may have been "Clyde, (bleep) off."

Again on my set he says "Clyde" and then it looks like he hicupped and then says "ok".
I'll tell you when I've had enough!!!

#3 of 67 OFFLINE   Roger_R

Roger_R

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 12:56 PM

Slightly off-topic, but why do they bleep the DVDs at all?

#4 of 67 OFFLINE   Scott Engleman

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 01:14 PM

Quote:

They're broadcast on Comedy Central, so they have to be censored. I don't believe that an uncensored version is ever created; other than the movie, I think all South Park episodes maintain the same censoring on DVD that they had on original broadcast. That's why these anomalies caught my ear; I was expecting bleeps, and didn't hear any, but I saw mouths moving.

Maybe South Park started cutting back on the profanity in S6. Since I don't have these shows on VHS, I was only comparing them to memory, so I must be wrong.

#5 of 67 OFFLINE   Scott Engleman

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 01:22 PM

Quote:
On my DVD Kyle says to Cartmann "Dude thats messed up"

I just checked, it does on mine, too. I remember now, I felt certain that he said "Dude, that's (bleep)ed up" on the original broadcast, not "messed" up, and so that one was still in my mind when I watched "Chaos". It just struck me at the time I watched it that "messed" had been dubbed in. Must just be a case of me misremembering...

Of course, there would be no reason that I can think of for removing one censored word and replacing it with an uncensored (or no) word, unless someone felt that the original "bleeps" weren't effective enough at covering the profanity.

#6 of 67 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 02:04 PM

syndicated version?
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#7 of 67 OFFLINE   Scott Engleman

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 02:40 PM

Quote:
syndicated version?

Doesn't seem possible to even make a syndicated version of this show, particularly in a season which has Lemmiwinks Posted Image

I did notice that not a single bleep occurs during the episode "Professor Chaos". The word "fudge" is used frequently (though that does gibe with my memory of the original broadcast), but there is no profanity that requires a "bleep" anywhere in the episode. Come to think of it, I didn't recall any censored profanity in the "Veal" episode on DVD, either. Perhaps there was a move this season to get away from censored profanity.

#8 of 67 OFFLINE   Eric James

Eric James

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem possible to even make a syndicated version of this show, particularly in a season which has Lemmiwinks

South Park went into syndication last month although no episode from season 6 has aired yet.

#9 of 67 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 01:29 AM

i just checked my broadcast version of veal and it said messed up.

and on the other one he goes. clyde... uh..(sigh) ok. first thing we have to do...

#10 of 67 OFFLINE   Scott Engleman

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 01:37 AM

Well, I just turned 45. They say the mind is the first thing to go. Posted Image

Sorry for the false alarm. Thanks for checking.

#11 of 67 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 12:09 AM

Quote:

Actually, this came up around the time that "it hits the fan" aired. Basically, they just think it's funnier to do things like say shit 100+ times in one episode, and then beep it the next week.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#12 of 67 OFFLINE   StoshS

StoshS

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 05:10 AM

the professor chaos epsiode part your talking about cartman says fudge the whole time, just like the original episode. clyde fudge you , go fudge your self, and get the fudge out.

#13 of 67 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 19 2005 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
They're broadcast on Comedy Central, so they have to be censored. I don't believe that an uncensored version is ever created; other than the movie, I think all South Park episodes maintain the same censoring on DVD that they had on original broadcast. That's why these anomalies caught my ear; I was expecting bleeps, and didn't hear any, but I saw mouths moving.

They have definitely shown the episode with 100+ you-know-whats hitting the fan uncensored on TV at least once. As part of the "Secret Stash," IIRC.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#14 of 67 OFFLINE   Eric James

Eric James

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
They have definitely shown the episode with 100+ you-know-whats hitting the fan uncensored on TV at least once. As part of the "Secret Stash," IIRC.

That episode has always been shown uncensored even at the regular 10pm time slot. It has never aired censored.

#15 of 67 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,013 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 19 2005 - 07:28 AM

I wonder if that episode will be bleeped when it hits syndication. Probably. Posted Image

#16 of 67 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted October 19 2005 - 09:13 AM

They've mentioned in commentaries that they use the bleeps because they feel it's funnier that way than without bleeps.

#17 of 67 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 09:33 AM

anybody know how long the wait until season 7? 7 and 8 are actually my favorite seasons of the show, season 9 has been kinda blah thus far, but I'll still get it for the Wing and hippie episodes.

I have a hard time believing I've come across so many people who gave up after seasons 2 or 3. I remember saying in a chat room that I was looking forward to the season 8 premiere the night it premiered, and a bunch of people were "South Park is so 1998" and "that's still on??". IMO the show was barely getting off the ground then in the early seasons, compared to the brilliance in seasons 4-8 (I think season 9 can be salvaged, there were a few bad episodes in the second half of season 8, but Paris Hilton, Woodland Critter Christmas and the cough syrup episodes completely salvaged it).

#18 of 67 OFFLINE   StoshS

StoshS

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 09:54 AM

what ever happened to the unaired lemewink episode that never aired. it was suposed to air as the easter episode but something happened and they aired a different episode.

#19 of 67 OFFLINE   Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 11:00 AM

Quote:
They've mentioned in commentaries that they use the bleeps because they feel it's funnier that way than without bleeps.

Wow, I have always felt that and have never actually seen anyone else express a similar sentiment. Chappelle's Show is vastly less-funny, in my opinion, uncensored.
Edward

#20 of 67 OFFLINE   StoshS

StoshS

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Wow, I have always felt that and have never actually seen anyone else express a similar sentiment. Chappelle's Show is vastly less-funny, in my opinion, uncensored.

yea same with me, id rather have bleeps in it. when i heard the chappelle show was going to be uncensored i thought cool, but when i actually watched it , it wasnt as funny, but its still pretty funny.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow