Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does this S-video adapter exist?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 PaulDF

PaulDF

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 03:28 PM

Silly me. I bought a 50' component cable to run from my upstairs sattelite PVR to my downstairs projector. Now that I go to hook it up, I see there is no component out on the PVR... Just S-vid and composite.

The only available input remaining on my PJ is the second component input, So needless to say I would like to make use of my cable AND hookup to my only remaining input!

Is there such a thing as an s-vid to component adapter?? I've looked at a lot of sites and can't find one. I don't even know if it is possible...

If not, do I have any other good options?

#2 of 6 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 03:36 PM

I'm afraid such a thing doesn't exist: if it did, I would have one. The reason is that in composite video and S-video, the colour-difference signals [Pr, Pb] are combined and modulated onto a 3.58 MHz carrier wave; in composite video this is mixed with the luminance channel [which is OK in theory because there is no interference between the two signals; in practice the filters to separate them don't work properly], while in S-video it is on a separate wire. To convert S-Video into component video would require demultiplexing and decoding the two chroma components, just as a TV reciever usually does. The only thing I can think of which does this as a matter of course is a video scaler, and there are some cheap ones intended for hooking up to PC monitors which might be made to serve your purpose, but a simple adaptor certainly does not exist.

Of course, if you are willing to watch in black-and-white, you can hook up the component Y cable to the composite jack and terminate the other two, but unless the PVR has a "monochrome" output mode the result will have an annoying dot pattern; connecting the Y cable to the Y line of the S-video connector [such as by taking a cheap composite-to-S adaptor and cutting the C pin] will accomplish the same thing without the dots.

#3 of 6 ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 06:54 AM

yes they exist. of course, they don't "upconvert" (nothing does); they only convert or downconvert. but i'm holding one in my hand right now. it came with my computer's video card. do you want it?

here's one for $8.99 US
http://www.buy.com/p....ml?dcaid=17282
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#4 of 6 KurtBJC

KurtBJC

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 10:00 AM

Actually, I think that's not really an s-video to component video converter; I believe some of the Infocus projectors output component video on a 7-pin mini-DIN plug and use this adapter to break it out to three RCAs. There are transcoders that'll do this, of course, but they're costly. Markertek, for example, has a Kramer VP-740 for $1496.25, or a Kramer Reference-30 for $1095.00.

Kurt
BJC

#5 of 6 Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted October 21 2005 - 11:45 AM

Does your projector have any composite or S-video inputs?

You could use a switch box to share the projector's composite (use the green plugs of your new component cable set) and/or the S-video (requires buying a new S-video cable).

You might find that analog channels look better when you are using a composite connection. Meanwhile digital channels are better off with S-video or component video connection. Separation of analog channel luminance and chrominance on average is done better by projectors taking in composite as opposed to cable boxes sending out S-video. So you may end up needing both composite and S-video cables.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#6 of 6 PaulDF

PaulDF

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted October 21 2005 - 05:55 PM

My PJ has composite, S-vid, (2)component, and HDMI.

Composite is from VCR (don't laugh, I have kids)
S-vid is from downstairs satellite (where theater is)
Component from DVD
No HDMI yet

My receiver has s-vid switching, so I'll go that route. Means I have to buy another 25' s-vid cable. And I have a 50' component cable I can't use!

Why do you say use the "green" plug of the component cable? Does it differ from the others?