What's new

Does this S-video adapter exist? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
Silly me. I bought a 50' component cable to run from my upstairs sattelite PVR to my downstairs projector. Now that I go to hook it up, I see there is no component out on the PVR... Just S-vid and composite.

The only available input remaining on my PJ is the second component input, So needless to say I would like to make use of my cable AND hookup to my only remaining input!

Is there such a thing as an s-vid to component adapter?? I've looked at a lot of sites and can't find one. I don't even know if it is possible...

If not, do I have any other good options?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I'm afraid such a thing doesn't exist: if it did, I would have one. The reason is that in composite video and S-video, the colour-difference signals [Pr, Pb] are combined and modulated onto a 3.58 MHz carrier wave; in composite video this is mixed with the luminance channel [which is OK in theory because there is no interference between the two signals; in practice the filters to separate them don't work properly], while in S-video it is on a separate wire. To convert S-Video into component video would require demultiplexing and decoding the two chroma components, just as a TV reciever usually does. The only thing I can think of which does this as a matter of course is a video scaler, and there are some cheap ones intended for hooking up to PC monitors which might be made to serve your purpose, but a simple adaptor certainly does not exist.

Of course, if you are willing to watch in black-and-white, you can hook up the component Y cable to the composite jack and terminate the other two, but unless the PVR has a "monochrome" output mode the result will have an annoying dot pattern; connecting the Y cable to the Y line of the S-video connector [such as by taking a cheap composite-to-S adaptor and cutting the C pin] will accomplish the same thing without the dots.

KurtBJC

Agent
Actually, I think that's not really an s-video to component video converter; I believe some of the Infocus projectors output component video on a 7-pin mini-DIN plug and use this adapter to break it out to three RCAs. There are transcoders that'll do this, of course, but they're costly. Markertek, for example, has a Kramer VP-740 for $1496.25, or a Kramer Reference-30 for $1095.00.

Kurt
BJC

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Does your projector have any composite or S-video inputs?

You could use a switch box to share the projector's composite (use the green plugs of your new component cable set) and/or the S-video (requires buying a new S-video cable).

You might find that analog channels look better when you are using a composite connection. Meanwhile digital channels are better off with S-video or component video connection. Separation of analog channel luminance and chrominance on average is done better by projectors taking in composite as opposed to cable boxes sending out S-video. So you may end up needing both composite and S-video cables.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

PaulDF

Second Unit
My PJ has composite, S-vid, (2)component, and HDMI.

Composite is from VCR (don't laugh, I have kids)
S-vid is from downstairs satellite (where theater is)
Component from DVD
No HDMI yet

My receiver has s-vid switching, so I'll go that route. Means I have to buy another 25' s-vid cable. And I have a 50' component cable I can't use!

Why do you say use the "green" plug of the component cable? Does it differ from the others?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks