Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for . . .

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 PatH

PatH

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 01:22 PM

I'm about to get into DVD recording after decades in VHS (I know, I know, what took me so long?) and I'm looking for a unit with a VHS built in, a DVD Recording component which reads and writes as many formats as possible, and a hard disk drive for dumping commercial laden movies from VHS for digital editing prior to burning to DVD. I've found many burners with hard disk drives but only one, a JVC, with all three elements (and the hard drive, while large, isn't that big). Am I looking in the wrong places?

As a corollary to the above, the last couple of searching sessions have taken me to British sites with many units which appear to meet my criteria. But I fear that the VHS on these units will be PAL rather than NTSC. On top of that these units appear to have many goodies which the few units I've seen here don't even dream of (an inboard time-based corrector for one). Why don't U. S. units have these things? Is it due to the studios' fanaticism in believing everyone here is a pirate? I'm not, and what I want to do will never be available to anyone else, either commercially or informally. But I've got hundreds of movies I've recorded over the years that I want on DVD, but which the studios will never release. I need the space (Star Trek's Captain Kirk was right in a way he never intended: space is the final frontier!). And I'm not depriving the studios of a damned thing. I had a beautiful two-hour VHS of Hondo recorded years back. Friday, I bought the just-released DVD. I'm not going to waste my time transferring something from VHS to DVD that the studios put out for me at a hopefully reasonable price.

Thanks for your input.

PatH