What's new

HELP !! What are your favorite romantic songs? (1 Viewer)

NolanJ

Second Unit
I need some help here. What are some of your favorite songs for romancing your significant other?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Rod Stewart's Stardust... The Great American Songbook III has a whole bunch of them. in fact, get I & II as well! :)

my current faves are For Sentimental Reasons, Manhattan, and A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

older Rod classics are "You're in my heart"

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I have no idea what your tastes run to so remember this is going in blind.

Avalon Roxy Music- Girls love this stuff and it's pretty timeless. If this album were room it'd be a very dark lounge with a comfy velvet couch of the deepest blue with purple throw pillows. A low, warm, fire of an album. The title track and the instrumental India, in particular, have the same rythm as that of certain carnal activities.

Anything by Edith Piaf. If you don't know her, she was the wartime chanteuse of France and was featured in Saving Private Ryan. Yes she sings in French, yes the recordings sound like they were made on stone tablets but she's just so damn sincere! The French are good at love and La Piaf is as good as a bottle of red and watching an August sunset from a bluff overlooking the ocean in a convertible (not that that's legal).

David Bowie. Heroes. There's a reason it was the fallen-in-love song of Moulin Rouge. Written in such a way as to remove female inhibitions. Thank you Mr. Bowie.

I have no idea how old you are but Johnny Mathis records were a big hit back when because he sang slow romantic songs with a silky voice. Hokey but widely considered by many to be the ultimate make-out music.

George Winston writes some wonderful piano pieces that have a melancholy air but quite pretty, if a bit vapid. Wonderful for lazing about on a Sunday afternoon watching the snow fall outside. Try the CD Winter. Just watch it. If this relationship gets serious she might start talking about George's cousin, Harry.

Mais Que Nada from Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66. Nothing says suave like Latin lounge music. Rat-pack era music to bed by. Smooth and catchy without leading to dancing. Think of thong bikinis and Impanema. The greatest hits album should be good.

Good luck and sorry if this isn't your style. If we have more to go on then we can tailor lists to your or your SO's tastes.

Nolan,
For me, soul music is what I think of for romance. How about:

After the Love Has Lost Its Shine - Regina Belle
First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Tonight I Celebrate My Love For You - Roberta Flack
My Girl - The Temptations
Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
So Good, So Right
God Bless You - Brenda Russell

there are so many....

NolanJ

Second Unit
I appreciate the opinions.

Most of my musical taste lies in more modern music. I think Sade is a great singer of soulful romantic songs.

I also like tunes such as Led Zeppelin's "Thank You" and I think Garbage's "Milk" traffice are moving songs as well.

These are the types I listen too... so I havepretty eclectic tastes.

The following playlist is what I have worked on so far... some of the songs wouldn't be considered "romantic" but they affect me the way I want them to (does that make sense?)

Gary Jules - Mad World
America - Lonely People
Radiohead - Bulletproof... I Wish I Was
Garbage - Milk
Semisonic - Secret Smile
Led Zeppelin - Thank You
Pearl Jam - Off He Goes
The Cure Pictures Of You
Alice In Chains - Nutshell
Cyndi Lauper - True Colors
Sade - No Ordinary Love
Garbage - You Look So Fine

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Throwing a few out for the hell of it...

"High" by James Blunt
"Wherever you Will Go" by the Calling
"Hello It's Me" (Todd Rundgren) - Phlip Steir Remix
"All I Ever Wanted was Tonight" - Dear Leader (www.dear-leader.com - you can listen to the whole song there and others)
"Edge of the Ocean" - Ivy
"Somewhere Only We Know" - Keane

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
How 'bout Hello It's Me by the Isley Brothers. Ronald sings much better than Todd!

This Love Is True by NRBQ is just beautiful and as harmonious as the Beatles' best. With These Hands by Les McCann is my romantic fav. That Film Noir album by Carly Simon might be good?

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
And I Love Her - The Beatles - Actually there are a few Beatles songs, but this one always has struck me as their best from one person to another love song.

Long Song, Dannys Song and Watching the River Run - Loggins and Messina - All three were written primarily by Kenny Loggins but they are especially perfect wedding songs, but great little love songs too. Also while the Anne Murray versions are popular in my family, do not get her versions, they're just not as good as L&M.

Something - The Beatles - Theres a reason it's their second most recorded song.

I Get a Kick Out of You - Jamie Cullum - I know Frank did this song back in the day but there is just something about the Jamie Cullum version of this song that I like better, probably the more raw sound he gives it.

The Scientist - Coldplay - If you use this song, show the music video as well. Not only is it my favorite song ever it's quite possibly one of the best music videos to ever exist.

Faithfully - Journey - It's sappy, it's corny, it's Journey! Still a great little love song though.

Baby, Now That I've Found You / When You Say Nothing At All - Alison Krauss and Union Station - Two cover songs that sound better than their original versions. The former is by The Foundation and the latter is by Keith Whitley. Alison's voice is the best female voice around (for the soft, sweet and amazing sound).

That about does it for now. Good luck.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Paul McCartney - My Love, Silly Love Songs
Queen - You take my breath away, Love of my life, you're my best friend, Tie your mother down(! ;) )

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
"Lay Lady Lay" Bob Dylan
"Shooting Star" Bob Dylan
"Fuck Her Gently" Tenacious D
"I Hate You/I Love You" The Dead Milkmen

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Yellow- Coldplay
Push- Sarah Mclachlan
In My Life- Beatles
Songbird- Fleetwood Mac
Necrophiliac (sp?)- Slayer :D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
If I Keep My Heart Out Of Sight by James Taylor and Sunshine Girl by Livingston Taylor. The Inbetween The Sheets album by the Isley Brothers. Ain't It Warm In Here by Barefoot Jerry. Pick your fav's from Marvin Gaye's albums... Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine (when you're gone) or Eva Cassidy's lovely cover. Speaking Of Eva Cassidy...hmn...Fields Of Gold or Autumn Leaves.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Journey's "Open Arms" is my wife's favorite. If we ever do karayoke, she makes me sing it to her everytime. Luckily, I do a pretty good Steve Perry impression. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks