Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HELP !! What are your favorite romantic songs?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 03:13 PM

I need some help here. What are some of your favorite songs for romancing your significant other?

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 08:59 PM

Rod Stewart's Stardust... The Great American Songbook III has a whole bunch of them. in fact, get I & II as well! Posted Image

my current faves are For Sentimental Reasons, Manhattan, and A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

older Rod classics are "You're in my heart"
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 09:07 PM

I have no idea what your tastes run to so remember this is going in blind.

Avalon Roxy Music- Girls love this stuff and it's pretty timeless. If this album were room it'd be a very dark lounge with a comfy velvet couch of the deepest blue with purple throw pillows. A low, warm, fire of an album. The title track and the instrumental India, in particular, have the same rythm as that of certain carnal activities.

Anything by Edith Piaf. If you don't know her, she was the wartime chanteuse of France and was featured in Saving Private Ryan. Yes she sings in French, yes the recordings sound like they were made on stone tablets but she's just so damn sincere! The French are good at love and La Piaf is as good as a bottle of red and watching an August sunset from a bluff overlooking the ocean in a convertible (not that that's legal).

David Bowie. Heroes. There's a reason it was the fallen-in-love song of Moulin Rouge. Written in such a way as to remove female inhibitions. Thank you Mr. Bowie.

I have no idea how old you are but Johnny Mathis records were a big hit back when because he sang slow romantic songs with a silky voice. Hokey but widely considered by many to be the ultimate make-out music.

George Winston writes some wonderful piano pieces that have a melancholy air but quite pretty, if a bit vapid. Wonderful for lazing about on a Sunday afternoon watching the snow fall outside. Try the CD Winter. Just watch it. If this relationship gets serious she might start talking about George's cousin, Harry.

Mais Que Nada from Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66. Nothing says suave like Latin lounge music. Rat-pack era music to bed by. Smooth and catchy without leading to dancing. Think of thong bikinis and Impanema. The greatest hits album should be good.

Good luck and sorry if this isn't your style. If we have more to go on then we can tailor lists to your or your SO's tastes.
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Bronsveld

Dave Bronsveld

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 01:13 AM

Nolan,
For me, soul music is what I think of for romance. How about:

After the Love Has Lost Its Shine - Regina Belle
First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Tonight I Celebrate My Love For You - Roberta Flack
My Girl - The Temptations
Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
So Good, So Right
God Bless You - Brenda Russell

there are so many....

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 02:10 AM

I appreciate the opinions. Most of my musical taste lies in more modern music. I think Sade is a great singer of soulful romantic songs. I also like tunes such as Led Zeppelin's "Thank You" and I think Garbage's "Milk" traffice are moving songs as well. These are the types I listen too... so I havepretty eclectic tastes. The following playlist is what I have worked on so far... some of the songs wouldn't be considered "romantic" but they affect me the way I want them to (does that make sense?) Gary Jules - Mad World America - Lonely People Radiohead - Bulletproof... I Wish I Was Garbage - Milk Semisonic - Secret Smile Led Zeppelin - Thank You Pearl Jam - Off He Goes The Cure Pictures Of You Alice In Chains - Nutshell Cyndi Lauper - True Colors Sade - No Ordinary Love Garbage - You Look So Fine

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   John Milton

John Milton

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 10:54 AM

Dweezil Zappa - When You're Near Me

Seriously, it's a superb ballad if I ever heard one. Posted Image

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   TomCW

TomCW

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 10:57 AM

I never miss a chance to recommend Jonatha Brooke's New Dress off of her Steady Pull CD or DVD-A.

http://www.jonathabr.../steadypull.php

Tom
I like to live in an altered state/ it makes me love all the things I hate.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 02:37 PM

Throwing a few out for the hell of it...

"High" by James Blunt
"Wherever you Will Go" by the Calling
"Hello It's Me" (Todd Rundgren) - Phlip Steir Remix
"All I Ever Wanted was Tonight" - Dear Leader (www.dear-leader.com - you can listen to the whole song there and others)
"Edge of the Ocean" - Ivy
"Somewhere Only We Know" - Keane
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,648 posts
  • LocationKnocksville, TN

Posted October 16 2005 - 04:16 PM

How 'bout Hello It's Me by the Isley Brothers. Ronald sings much better than Todd! This Love Is True by NRBQ is just beautiful and as harmonious as the Beatles' best. With These Hands by Les McCann is my romantic fav. That Film Noir album by Carly Simon might be good?
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 01:16 AM

And I Love Her - The Beatles - Actually there are a few Beatles songs, but this one always has struck me as their best from one person to another love song. Long Song, Dannys Song and Watching the River Run - Loggins and Messina - All three were written primarily by Kenny Loggins but they are especially perfect wedding songs, but great little love songs too. Also while the Anne Murray versions are popular in my family, do not get her versions, they're just not as good as L&M. Something - The Beatles - Theres a reason it's their second most recorded song. I Get a Kick Out of You - Jamie Cullum - I know Frank did this song back in the day but there is just something about the Jamie Cullum version of this song that I like better, probably the more raw sound he gives it. The Scientist - Coldplay - If you use this song, show the music video as well. Not only is it my favorite song ever it's quite possibly one of the best music videos to ever exist. Faithfully - Journey - It's sappy, it's corny, it's Journey! Still a great little love song though. Baby, Now That I've Found You / When You Say Nothing At All - Alison Krauss and Union Station - Two cover songs that sound better than their original versions. The former is by The Foundation and the latter is by Keith Whitley. Alison's voice is the best female voice around (for the soft, sweet and amazing sound). That about does it for now. Good luck.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,648 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 03:17 AM

Dianna Krall does a really cool, cool jazzy version of And I Love her on the GRP Artists Play The Beatles. Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 03:22 AM

Paul McCartney - My Love, Silly Love Songs
Queen - You take my breath away, Love of my life, you're my best friend, Tie your mother down(! Posted Image )
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,963 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 17 2005 - 04:11 AM

Ditto. Posted Image

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,498 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 17 2005 - 10:07 AM

"Lay Lady Lay" Bob Dylan "Shooting Star" Bob Dylan "Fuck Her Gently" Tenacious D "I Hate You/I Love You" The Dead Milkmen

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,996 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 02:13 PM

"Shining Star" - The Manhattans

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 02:54 PM

Yellow- Coldplay
Push- Sarah Mclachlan
In My Life- Beatles
Songbird- Fleetwood Mac
Necrophiliac (sp?)- Slayer Posted Image
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,648 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 04:27 PM

If I Keep My Heart Out Of Sight by James Taylor and Sunshine Girl by Livingston Taylor. The Inbetween The Sheets album by the Isley Brothers. Ain't It Warm In Here by Barefoot Jerry. Pick your fav's from Marvin Gaye's albums... Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine (when you're gone) or Eva Cassidy's lovely cover. Speaking Of Eva Cassidy...hmn...Fields Of Gold or Autumn Leaves.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 01:57 AM

At Last by Etta James.

Look for her CD with the same title.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Bronsveld

Dave Bronsveld

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 02:39 AM

oh, you reminded me Rachael! How 'bout "The Anniversary Song" ?

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,097 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted October 18 2005 - 03:24 AM

Journey's "Open Arms" is my wife's favorite. If we ever do karayoke, she makes me sing it to her everytime. Luckily, I do a pretty good Steve Perry impression. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users