-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Double dipping on CDs due to retailer-specific exclusive tracks?!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 of 93 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,462 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 04:11 PM

Mike, I ALWAYS think of you when this topic comes up!

#82 of 93 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,059 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 29 2011 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image   It's all that stinkin' Diana Krall's fault.

No...wait.  I can't blame her...

It's definitely the evil money-grubbing anything-for-a-profit record executives.  Yeah.  That's the ticket. 

==============================

The thing is...Amazon is one of the ones crying foul here...and they often get their own retailer exclusives, too.  At least I know they do with DVDs & BDs.

"We believe fans should have the option to buy the same music at their preferred retailer, on the same date, and unfortunately that is not always the case." Craig Pape, director of Amazon Music, said in a statement.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#83 of 93 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,059 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 11 2011 - 11:02 AM

I'll come clean and admit that a month or so ago I purchased an amazon exclusive title of Brian Wilson Disney covers.

When I found out about it, I knew I really wanted it and figured "what's a guy to do?"  At least it's not like I found out that there are alternate tracks available at other retailers...yet.  Posted Image

So much for amazon crying foul over retailer exclusives, huh?!? 

=================================

And today I picked up Michael Buble's new Christmas CD..which I came to find out had a Target-only version which includes three bonus tracks.  At least I found out before I had purchased the CD somewhere else.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#84 of 93 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,059 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:40 AM

My latest run-in with retailer exclusive CDs:

I was in Target several weeks ago and picked up a CD of new Christmas music...the 25th anniversary of the "Very Special Christmas" series.  It was just $11.99.  I buy new Christmas music every holiday season.

Then, a couple weeks later, I see the same title in best Buy's flyer as...you guessed it...an EXCLUSIVE there--with six extra tracks for $13.99.  I went through the process of returning the (luckily) still unopened Target disc and buying the Best Buy version.

PITA.

Oh.  And even though it was featured in their flyer, a BB employee had to go in the back and find me one of their 16 copies.  Posted Image

Luckily, I never found any retailer exclusives on the new Diana Krall CD of Glad Rag Doll when it was released a few weeks ago...  Posted Image

#85 of 93 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 11:52 PM

Oh, I'm with you on this Mike. But my problem is much more expensive. Most of the artists I collect are British. Some albums take months to come out in the US (if they do at all), so I have to import them. Then there's the iTunes exclusives. It gets worse when the singles have different tracks in different countries so I have to import the British single (usually 2 separate discs), AND the German single (from a different site so extra shipping charges) to get all the material. Then there's the issue with the Japanese bonus tracks which can cost more than double the price of an imported album from the UK. Often for one song. I swear, there have been times when I've dropped over $100 for a single album and accompanying singles.

• EricSchulz likes this

#86 of 93 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,059 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 17 2013 - 05:33 AM

Oh, I'm with you on this Mike. But my problem is much more expensive. Most of the artists I collect are British. Some albums take months to come out in the US (if they do at all), so I have to import them. Then there's the iTunes exclusives. It gets worse when the singles have different tracks in different countries so I have to import the British single (usually 2 separate discs), AND the German single (from a different site so extra shipping charges) to get all the material. Then there's the issue with the Japanese bonus tracks which can cost more than double the price of an imported album from the UK. Often for one song. I swear, there have been times when I've dropped over $100 for a single album and accompanying singles.

Remember when artists constructed an album in such a way that it flowed--intentionally--from one track to another?  And the album itself (the specific tracks in a specific order) was considered to be a work of art on its own--from the individual songs as its building blocks?

==============================

I JUST ran into this again last night.

I stopped at Target to pick up my copy of Django Unchained and as i was walking down a music aisle I saw one of Target's dreaded EXCLUSIVE stickers slapped on the cover of The Avett Brother's last release "The Carpenter."  "Two Bonus tracks."  I had no idea such a thing existed.  I just don't have enough time in my life to be an expert on every CD release that comes down the pike. 

It's enough to almost make a grown man cry.  :blink:

• Ron1973 likes this

#87 of 93 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 17 2013 - 09:14 AM

I've run into this repeatedly with several artists I follow (I have about four different versions of CDs because of "exclusive" tracks only from one retailer or another.

In the end, I can't see this as doing anything except encouraging piracy.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#88 of 93 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,059 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 17 2013 - 09:32 AM

I've run into this repeatedly with several artists I follow (I have about four different versions of CDs because of "exclusive" tracks only from one retailer or another.

In the end, I can't see this as doing anything except encouraging piracy.

bing.png

#89 of 93 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,059 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 07 2013 - 06:33 AM

I finally caught a break on the "retailer exclusive" front this week.

I was in a Target store last night...killing some time in the media section while my wife was shopping elsewhere.  I saw, on an endcap, a new release by Barenaked Ladies of which I was totally unaware.  On the front of the package, the ominous Target Exclusive label that the disc contained three bonus tracks. 

So, with the knowledge that I was supporting a heinous activity--but nevertheless glad that I had secured any extra material--I made my purchase. 

[BNL has suffered greatly artistically since the departure of Steven Page...but I still support the boys in their drive to move forward.]

#90 of 93 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 14 2013 - 07:54 PM

Not music related, but on the issue of retailer exclusives I saw my first retailer exclusive on a hardcover book today. The new Brad Thor novel has a special version available from Costco that features an exclusive extra chapter with an expanded/alternate ending.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#91 of 93 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,083 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 01 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'm bumping again! Not entirely on the subject but similar.

I'm a major fan of Hank Williams. When Polygram started releasing the individual CD's in the 80's that became known as The Collector's Edition, I bought them whenever I saw one available. Their "mission statement" was to release all known studio masters of Hank's plus well-known non-session recordings. Some of the non-session recordings were simply Hank and his guitar while other songs were presented in the overdubbed forms that had appeared after Hank's death as MGM still had a high demand for Hank's music. The claim was that these overdubbed versions were all that was available and was probably all Hank fans could hope for.

Fast forward to the 90's and Mercury Nashville came out with The Complete Hank Williams, a title that was certainly a misnomer if there ever was one. Magically all but three non-session titles were in their original form and Colin Escott telling how MGM had bought the rights to the songs after Hank's death. In other words, they were sitting in the vaults. They had pulled that antic on the previous release on a song claiming their "joy" of finding it to be able to put on the release. The problem was, it had already been released in 1976 on a Polygram release in England! <_<

Making matters worse was the fact the thing just isn't complete. I sat down and came up with 20+ songs that had been on previous releases (not counting the overdubs) and e-mailed both Colin Escott and Kira Florita asking how they could lay claim to it being "complete." I got a haughty reply back from Mr. Escott throwing his weight around. I had asked how could I believe them on their claims things were "lost" given how the Hank Williams catalog had been treated already and even went so far as to suggest I had a feeling more stuff would "magically" turn up for another release.

Sure enough, enter Alone With His Guitar in 2000. No "new" songs per se but there was multimedia content playable only on a computer that featured Hank plugging a local sheriff for reelection and something else I believe. Now they've brought The Collector's Edition back in print via its individual volumes available as downloads on Amazon so you can buy the songs that weren't on The Complete Hank Williams!

And on the foreign release side, I had to buy the German release of Gabriella Cilmi's Lessons to be Learned just to get the song "Warm this Winter." I couldn't find it on any domestic release to save my life. I tried downloading it via mp3 on Amazon's German site and it told me because I was in the US it wasn't allowed. :angry:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#92 of 93 MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• 980 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 12:10 AM

I remember when I used to collect all of Cheap Trick's Japanese CDs because they always contained bonus tracks that the US CDs didn't. The imported CDs were outrageously expensive and it used to really tick me off. It got to the point where I just stopped buying their US-released CDs altogether, and waited until I could get the Japanese copies. It was bad enough that the imports were so pricey; I didn't want to end up buying the albums twice.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#93 of 93 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 899 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 06:27 PM

Back in the day, I use to buy vinyl 12" singles (or EPs) which frequently had non-album tracks on side 2.

By the time music cds were ubiquitous, I largely didn't care anymore.

Though the few times I picked up a cd album again, was typically when there was an extra cd (or dvd) with stuff like: unreleased albums, live concerts, unreleased demo tapes, etc ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users