-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
300 replies to this topic

#21 of 301 OFFLINE   Kevin P.

Kevin P.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 02:24 AM

All this talk about the Titanic is making me hungry (not literally). I just got some email yesterday that the DVD has been shipped and will be here within 5-10 days! I can't wait the long, but it will have to do. The quality looks amazing so far and I'm looking foward to it a lot. What dissapoints me is the fact the same day I purchased the R1 set, I discovered that Fox was selling the R2 (or European verison) with 4 discs! Damn, I REALLY wanted to see all those trailers, spoofs and stills in the ''still'' gallery. But bah, who cares!

#22 of 301 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 02:25 AM

So are the motion menus long and overdone or are they to the point like I like them? I have a feeling since it's Van Ling it's gonna be the former. The guy is talented no doubt, but I loathe seeing half the movie before I can select 'play'.

I was having a tough time deciding on buying this one since I had and later sold the first version. I don't typically like sappy love stories but the SFX, the Titanic wreck, and especially my darling Kate make this a must buy.

#23 of 301 OFFLINE   Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 02:34 AM

I can't wait to get my copy. Posted Image

Plus a new THX trailer? that's interesting. Keep the information flowing Scott.
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#24 of 301 OFFLINE   Kevin P.

Kevin P.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 02:48 AM

I LOVED Kate Winslet's perfomance in the first part of the film. Especially the rude, but sarcastic comment to Bruce Ismay of the ''male preoccupation with size''! Best dialogue in the whole entire movie. I disliked her after the ship begins to sink though. Especially when a;; she says is ''Jack!'' (while Leo says ''Rose!''). I always wanted to finish seeing Heavenly Creatures. Although I never completed it, I like Kate's character a lot better than that of this film and she looks VERY sexy in blonde too. But then again, the only reason I like Titanic was for the historical background behind it. Had they not used it OR put money into the SPFX, I think it be the biggest POS ever made.

However, it did not deserve the backlash, even if it is FLAWED in so many ways. Neither does Kate deserve comments about being ''overweight'' or ''obsesity''. Something little arrogant pricks (or rabid Titanic trolls/haters say) like to poke fun at.

Posted Image

#25 of 301 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 03:08 AM

Quote:
Neither does Kate deserve comments about being ''overweight'' or ''obsesity''.
I hear ya. I call it looking healthy. In fact, isnt that how women are supposed to look, or at least looked back in those days? I don't like the whole anorexic look of today.

In any event, I hope someday we'll see the full length documentary that Cameron nixed.

Regards,
Dan

#26 of 301 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 05:52 AM

Quote:
I can't wait to compare my reference scene to the DTS laserdisc-- the ship comes to life and goes to full speed, racing dolphins ahead, as Leo is the King of the World. If the DVD can come close to the theatrical sound of that, I'll be very impressed.

My favorite sequence of the entire film.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#27 of 301 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 06:04 AM

"Can't wait to see this transfer with the extra 100 lines of resolution that PAL offers!"

"That's not a guarentee though."

Well the extra 100 lines for the PAL version is a given, 576 vs. 480. Whether they use those extra 100 well is the question but they are still there. And I would assume that they will take it from the same hi-def master so it should look sharper. No reason to overfilter the PAL transfer. After comparing the LOTR EE sets, (NO contest BTW) I hopefully am in for a treat. And the 4th disc. Still pissed at Paramount for cutting that out of the set here.

Posted Image d

#28 of 301 OFFLINE   Kevin P.

Kevin P.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 07:27 AM

Quote:
I hear ya. I call it looking healthy. In fact, isnt that how women are supposed to look, or at least looked back in those days? I don't like the whole anorexic look of today.

Women back in 1912 were indeed similar to Rose (in terms of size, looks and etc...) and were somewhat smaller than the average man. I think Katie gets so much crap about being ''obese'' or ''overweight'' is in a interview she made a comment about her and her family being a big eaters and some us this as the reason. That or how awfully ''chubby'' she looks during the sinking scenes (and awfully pale too). But whatever, she's perfectly fine and those who do have problems with her appearance must be insecured about themselves.

#29 of 301 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 07:46 AM

can't wait to see this finally
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#30 of 301 OFFLINE   Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 09:04 AM

which THX intro is it? is it the Science one or is the Bounty one? The one with all of the audio clips from the different movies like alien, fight club, star wars?

I'm curious, cause I am hoping that it is the Bounty trailer!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. But, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

#31 of 301 OFFLINE   Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 09:33 AM

Nice review, my wife will be excited!

#32 of 301 OFFLINE   Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 09:37 AM

It's not the one with clips from movies. It is a science of sound or something like that. I watched it two nights ago and just remember being disappointed that it wasn't the trailer that we saw with Episode III...maybe the Episode III trailer will have another "new" trailer.

Dave
Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

#33 of 301 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 09:55 AM

Episode 3 has the science of sound THX trailer.

THX Trailer

Mike

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#34 of 301 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 10:28 AM

Quote:
Why was the in-depth documentary pulled?

Cameron himself pulled the documentary. The film was, by all accounts, a nightmare to make and there were many in the cast and crew who vowed never to work with Cameron again (including Winslet). I presume a number of these criticisms found there way into the documentary and Cameron acted accordingly.

#35 of 301 OFFLINE   Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 12:24 PM

Is there a good resource (website/book) that details the nightmare production of Titanic - I'd like to read it! Particularily why Kate won't work with Cameron again etc.

#36 of 301 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 01:46 PM

Is the DTS audio the ES-Matrix or ES-Discrete type?

#37 of 301 OFFLINE   Richard Schultz

Richard Schultz

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 01:47 PM

Do you know if the DTS track has a DTS intro trailor?

#38 of 301 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 02:51 PM

Quote:
There was a big argument over on the DVDTalk forums about that- how much is too much in terms of focussing on the quality of the film itself, compared to providing details about the technical specs and extras.

I never read the portions of DVD reviews focusing on the film itself. It is not what I read DVD reviews for. Anything more than a couple of paragraphs is a colossal waste of effort on the part of the reviewer, IMO.
-Jay

#39 of 301 OFFLINE   Richard Schultz

Richard Schultz

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 03:13 PM

Does anybody know if the DTS track starts off with a DTS trailor?

#40 of 301 OFFLINE   Richard Schultz

Richard Schultz

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 03:17 PM

Does anybody know if the DTS track starts off with a DTS [logo] trailor?

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow