Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#1 of 301 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 11:54 AM

#2 of 301 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:10 PM

Aside from the obvious differences in video quality, how does the new DD 5.1 compare to the original release? Is it the same track?

#3 of 301 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:12 PM

It looks !@#$%ing AWESOME. Definitely the release of the year for me. Scott, what display device are you using? If it's an lcd then that might explain the banding issue. Can you show us some screenshots of this banding artifact?

#4 of 301 OFFLINE   Christian L.

Christian L.

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 01:26 PM

Good review Scott. The picture looks suspiciously close to the new Ben-Hur release, more film-like, slightly warmer colors (more yellow on the shot with the captain) but it´s also A LOT sharper than the old release, just blows the old disc out of the water, picture wise. I´m sold.

#5 of 301 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,375 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:14 PM

No offense Scott, but that's the one thing we don't need!

Get to the other stuff quick.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#6 of 301 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:18 PM

There was a big argument over on the DVDTalk forums about that- how much is too much in terms of focussing on the quality of the film itself, compared to providing details about the technical specs and extras.

#7 of 301 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:26 PM

There seems to be a fair number of people who like to read comments on the film in a DVD review. However, there aren't many people who haven't seen this film, or formed an opinion on it. In my experience, it is more important to give a solid film review on smaller titles - ones people might have missed. This obviously isn't one of those. I'll be sure to post a few paragraphs about the film - a DVD review isn't complete without it... but I will make every effort to get the special features reviewed ASAP. Still will probably be Sunday... -Scott

#8 of 301 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:40 PM

I like reading DVD reviews that offer both opinions and specs analysis in equal measure- reading different perspectives on a film is fun for me.

#9 of 301 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Scott, this looks like it is going to be an incredible set! October 25th can not get here soon enough! Love those screen grabs, too. - Steve

#10 of 301 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:16 PM

Based on the Bits review, seems like the extras are limited (other than a large amount of deleted scenes). Why was the in-depth documentary pulled?

#11 of 301 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,267 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:55 PM

I like what I read so far and am waiting for more. One complaint, the black writing in the blue box below the disc art is VERY difficult to read. A change of color maybe?
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#12 of 301 OFFLINE   DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:57 PM

I can't believe Paramount took so long to give this film the proper audio/video presentation. However I'm wondering if the video has been remastered for this new release and perhaps for the future HD version? Either way Scott your review is coming out great. Keep it up!!

#13 of 301 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:59 PM

excellent work Scott! Thanks!

Posted Image d

Can't wait to see this transfer with the extra 100 lines of resolution that PAL offers!

#14 of 301 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,642 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:23 PM

less then $20 at amazon for this. btw the black letterring on the purple/blue border in the top of the review is hard to see.
facebook.com/whotony

#15 of 301 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:38 PM

That's not a guarentee though.

#16 of 301 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 06:16 PM

Good to see that this transfer appears to not filter out the extra resolution DVD has to offer. The original "Titanic" release has absolutely no filtering and was considered to be one of the best non-anamorphic transfers ever. My concern was when the new version was released that they would filter it, especially after all the negative feedack on the SE of "Star Trek: Generations", which to me is an excellent transfer that does is not filtered down. Audio wise, Bill Hunt at "The Digital Bits" found both DD and DTS tracks to be identical, and he's a guy who always consistently finds in favor of DTS, usually knocking down the DD track a half-grade. Personally I don't mind a DTS track as long as it doesn't compromise video quality and room for extras.

#17 of 301 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,417 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2005 - 08:43 PM

The delay had more to do with James Cameron, Paramount had to wait on him until he was ready to participate in making this dvd. Crawdaddy

#18 of 301 OFFLINE   Steve K.H.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 12:55 AM

This looks to be a pretty amazing set - a must buy for the family collection.

Don't know that we should have a picture of the tub sinking... now people will know how it ends.

(j/k)

Trivia - Q) What's the difference between the Titanic and Madonna? A) Only 1517 people went down on the Titanic.

On a more serious note, if you are interested in reading an excellent overview of the history of events - it's as captivating a read as I've ever seen - here's a link from the Titanic Historical Society.
The Titanic

Bluecruzer...
"The new phone books are here!!!..."

#19 of 301 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,058 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 15 2005 - 01:19 AM

Hmmm... 1) Screencap(s) of Kate. The review is a success. 2) I've heard of this film. Perhaps I'll sample it. Thanks for the review...I'll give it the full once-over after your hard work is complete. I've waited years and years for it. What's another day (or 1.5 weeks)? Thanks Scott, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#20 of 301 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 15 2005 - 01:47 AM

AMEN. This one will be interesting as it is 6.1. I can't wait to compare my reference scene to the DTS laserdisc-- the ship comes to life and goes to full speed, racing dolphins ahead, as Leo is the King of the World. If the DVD can come close to the theatrical sound of that, I'll be very impressed. - Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users