Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
887 replies to this topic

#41 of 888 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:35 AM

I'm getting it. I was entertained enough and know my HT will get a nice workout on November 1.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#42 of 888 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,687 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:46 AM

Cool about the new THX trailer. Maybe this thread can concentrate just on the dvd of ROTS. Nah. Won't happen. The trolls are alive and well in the other one and they'll find this thread too. :b

#43 of 888 OFFLINE   Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:52 AM

Can't wait to add this disc to my collection. Revenge of the Sith was a masterpeice of cinema and it looks like this DVD will match the movies brilliance.

#44 of 888 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 06:07 AM

Quote:
the sets and the costumes look far too clean and unused

Take another look at the Jedi Council chamber. The pattern on the floor is quite worn, and it kinda looks like mildew is spreading from the seams between the tiles.
-Jay

#45 of 888 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
A very cool new THX trailer!

is it one we've seen in theaters? did they ever use that THX 'sound clip montage' trailer for DVDs? it's the one where you hear all those famous lines from various flicks (but no images) that leads up to a very identifiable Sam Jackson saying "strike down upon thee" i think.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#46 of 888 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,227 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 14 2005 - 08:14 AM

C'mon, Ron! Or, Herb!

Give it up on the THX trailer!

Man, we really ARE geeks, huh!?! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#47 of 888 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 08:19 AM

Quote:
In the book, Anakin's fall and emotional collapse is so well done, yet in the film it is nowhere near as effecting. Especially when you consider what he goes through. Anyone else agree?

I definitely agree. I was very surprised at how poorly Anakin's turn was handled given Lucas' track record as a great storyteller(in spite of his directing and screenwriting deficiencies).

I had a hard time believing that a few minutes after discovering Palpatine is the most evil man in the galaxy and responsible for starting a war that has caused the deaths of millions, Anakin would be willing to slaughter his entire surrogate family(including children) on his orders. Especially after Palpatine has suddenly backtracked on his claim that he knows how to use the Dark Side to preserve life, telling Anakin instead that they must work together to discover that power.

That moment was the key to the entire film and prequel trilogy and I never bought it for a second. Of course that being said, I'll still end up getting the DVD to complete the collection.Posted Image
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#48 of 888 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
C'mon, Ron! Or, Herb!
Give it up on the THX trailer!

Posted Image

Posted Image

You guys happy?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#49 of 888 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 09:12 AM

Ah, so once again it's a modified version of one of THX's trailers, like Calvacade. It's not much better than Let's See It In THX though.

#50 of 888 OFFLINE   Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 09:16 AM

Quote:
it's the one where you hear all those famous lines from various flicks (but no images) that leads up to a very identifiable Sam Jackson saying "strike down upon thee" i think.

When I read that, I immediately thought of some THX or DD marketing guy running this:

Posted Image

#51 of 888 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 10:16 AM

I spun this disc on my Marantz VP12S3 DLP Projection system... All I can say is, the video is jawdropping!!!!! By far the most pristine, sharp transfer I have ever seen on DVD... It looks like pure digital... I saw no dvd artifacts what so ever....

Audio wise, this is a reference dvd..

By the way, the THX Easter Egg is piss in your pants funny.... All I will say is, it invloves Yoda... Posted Image
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#52 of 888 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 10:29 AM

Quote:
In the book, Anakin's fall and emotional collapse is so well done, yet in the film it is nowhere near as effecting. Especially when you consider what he goes through. Anyone else agree?

I thought the book had one huge flaw when it came to Anakin's fall: he was duped by Palpatine, rather than influenced (via half truths & what he saw (Palpatine being "bullied" by Mace)) by Palpatine to turn.

He made a CHOICE based on what he saw and the half truths that Palpatine told him. He wasn't duped.

I'd rather think that Anakin was smarter than to just be duped by Palpatine by a ruse, which the book went into in quite a bit of depth.

Though, the book did a good job in relating the death of Anakin's mother to his refusal to let the same thing happen to Padme.

#53 of 888 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 10:49 AM

Quote:
the book did a good job in relating the death of Anakin's mother to his refusal to let the same thing happen to Padme.
... and, much later, to his son, I do hope.

Cees

#54 of 888 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 11:11 AM

AOTC was the first dvd that I used to test my current pj and I was smiling the whole time while watching it, thus, I look forward to this new release of ROTS. Thanks for the review.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#55 of 888 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 11:30 AM

As much as his turn seems fast on screen, it really isn't.

Anakin is reluctant to do Sidious biding. There's a medium close up shot of Hayden when he lowers his head in disgust as Sidious orders him to the Jedi Temple. Clearly, in that shot the way Hayden played it, he didn't want to do it.

But, this has to remain the point. He goes not because of Sidious but because of Padme. He believes so strongly in his mind that if he goes this route, he will have the power to save Padme. That's why he goes without question, eventhough earlier he questioned his actions against Mace. But, the other thing that happens in this scene and this is how I interpret it, he decides then that he will rid the Republic of Palpatine. He was already thinking ahead.

Again, just my interpretation. I didn't have any problems at all with this turn in Palpatine's office.

Flame away!

Regarding the DVD, is the picture quality better than Clones? I know alot of that question deals with the cameras used considering Clones was shot on a first-gen HD camera and Sith was shot on a new HD camera. Is there a clear difference?
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#56 of 888 OFFLINE   Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 11:34 AM

Had this on pre-order since it came up for pre-ordering.

You splendid review has only whetted my appetite more. Much obliged!

Brendon

#57 of 888 OFFLINE   Matt Leigh

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:28 PM

Anakin also thinks he is right the whole time and that the Jedi are in the wrong as he believes they are going to destroy the established democracy by overthrowing the government. That is why he pledges allegiance to Palpatine and he only becomes twisted by the dark side later when he begins his killing.

Pledging the allegiance isn't what turns someone, doing the evil deeds does.

#58 of 888 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 01:46 PM

Michael,

Awesome review. Would love to find out about your screen shots...I need to find a way to start doing that myself.

I'm so thrilled to get this disc. I just can't wait! Your description of the video and audio quality has me DROOLING in expectation!

I should also add that I truly enjoy this film. I find it not only tolerable (an honor which Episode 1 didn't garner from me), but ENJOYABLE.

IMO, my ideal "star wars movie party" starts with this film then moves on to the original three.

On Blu-ray... Posted Image

dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#59 of 888 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:10 PM

Luke was also very close to turning in ROTJ, and only pulled back at the last minute.

And yet, we all believe that Luke was very, very close to taking the same path his father did. It wasn't until the last minute that he pulled back, and even then he pulled back because his father had made the wrong choice and turned into a monster because of it.

But Anakin didn't turn in ROTS. He really turned in AOTC, or at least that's where he started down the dark path. Unlike Luke, Anakin was too far gone by the time he had to make the choice in ROTS. He slipped on the slope he had chosen to travel down.

#60 of 888 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:31 PM

Check out the trailer at the THX website. It may be a variation of their other trailers, but I'll bet it sounds really good. Posted Image

Wasn't as impressed with ROTS as most, but I'll still be buying this for the audio and video. Plus, I didn't hate the movie, I just didn't like it as much as everyone else.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow