Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
887 replies to this topic

#21 of 888 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,809 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 13 2005 - 01:17 PM

Currently the highest grossing film of a pretty naff movie year, with Lucas' pal Spielberg at no.2 with his sci-fi opus War of the Worlds. Let's see, Episode I, easily the biggest grossing film of 1999, but Episode II was up against Two Towers, Harry Potter II and Spidey I, and thus came in at no.4 in worldwide grosses, must have been a bit of a blow for Lucas, Clones was the first of the Star Wars series not to be no.1 film in it's year of release, shame I liked it more than Episode I.

Um oh yeah I'll definitely buy me a copy of Episode III, the best of the prequels.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#22 of 888 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 01:33 PM

I believe this is done (if it's not just the limited resolution of todays digital cameras vs. our 35mm film references for clarity) to better match the effects shots. I'm SHOCKED, only 20+ posts! Thanks for the review.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#23 of 888 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 01:49 PM

My first (and only!) prequel entry DVD! Can't wait for it. Especially can't wait for the deleted Dagobah scene.

#24 of 888 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,627 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the review. I look forward picking this up. As for the deleted scene of Yoda, at first I thought it would be good to re-insert, but George is right on this one. He felt that the end of the movie should show the two kids and the father, rather than unrelated Yoda. That makes sense. Also, I wish they stopped including game demos and included the other couple of web featurettes.

#25 of 888 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 02:08 PM

Will be picking this up at Walmart w/ the bonus disc, can't wait!!!

#26 of 888 OFFLINE   Matthew-K

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 02:34 PM

Same here! It will be my new reference disc.Posted Image
"When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."

#27 of 888 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 02:41 PM

Obviously I'll be picking this one up. I always have a hard time posting in these discussion threads. It's either rampant praise or bitching Posted Image...so I'll just say this, I can't wait until November 1.

...this DVD is the reason that I bought a projector.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#28 of 888 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 03:04 PM

Matt...I think that comment was rampant praise!! ...I agree with you on the projo...I think all movies are served better with a projector... ...I can't wait for the Sony SXRD 100 front projo to replace what I have right now. The RP sets are fabulous, I'm sure the front projo will be better. 1080p is almost here... Mike

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#29 of 888 OFFLINE   Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 03:42 PM

Great review, thanks! This will be the first DVD I will watch when my new basement (front projection) theater is completed. In fact, after reading the review, I'm going to work extra hard to complete the theater faster. I grew up with Star Wars and have always thought is was the coolest, most original movie series ever. Just look at all the awesome space ships, landscapes, citiscapes, creatures and some of the most incredible music ever composed for film! Thank you Mr. Lucas and Mr. Williams! You have thrilled me more than you could know over the years. Dan
For progress pictures of my HT click on the link.

http://community.web...om/user/danjh38

#30 of 888 OFFLINE   ClaytonMG

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 05:21 PM

I read somewhere that this DVD has a new THX trailer on it, is that true?

#31 of 888 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 06:09 PM

I'll pass on this like the other two prequels. I would buy all 3 in a boxset down the road though, especially if Ep. 1 has a new transfer.

#32 of 888 OFFLINE   Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 11:03 PM

I have VERY mixed feelings about this film. Overall I really liked it but it was FAR from flawless. I made the mistake of reading the novelisation before seeing the film and I felt that Anakin's turn to the dark side was nowhere near as well done in the film as it was in the book. In the book, you sense Anakin's torture and inner turmoil through almost all of the (often bad) decisions he makes. He is a truly tortured person and a tragic soul. In the film his turn is too quick and sudden. It's just not convincing. I can't blame Hayden Christensen because I think he does the best he can with what he is given, but in the book you feel sorry for Anakin. I mean... He is born into slavery, is seperated from his mother and friends (the only people he's ever known), he is prophecized as being The Chosen One and has everyone's expectation put on him, he suffers horrific nightmares which seem to come true, his mother (who he left behind) is tortured to death and dies in his arms, he loses his arm in combat to Count Dooku, he is seperated from his wife due to the Clone Wars, he fights fiercely and bravely for the goodies (so he thinks) and is NEVER given any credit for it (especially from the unloving Jedi), he again gets tortured by nightmares of losing he's loved one (perhaps only loved one), he is manipulated superbly by his mentor and only friend Palpatine, he is NEVER fully trusted by the Jedi which leads him to become alienated and bitter toward them, Palpatine uses this and his fear of Padme's death to manipulate him further, Anakin is well intentioned but he makes a terrible decision when Mace Windu faces Palpatine, starts to lose it BIG TIME and falls into Palpatine's trappings even more, then the poor guy has a phsychological breakdown, does some truly evil things (for the one person who seems to love him and trust him - Palps), and then gets ALL his limbs severed off and gets burned alive! That's GOTTA HURT! I mean, has a character EVER gone through so much pain and tragedy and anguish in ANY film as much as this guy. Then whats left of his mangled, burned torso is placed in an iron-lung life support suit and is told that HE and HE ALONE is the cause of his loved ones' deaths. His name (Anakin Skywalker) becomes shunned and forgotten and he is Darth Vadar, another slave, this time to Palaptine and his Governor's. Born a slave to die a slave (only as a crispy fried half man half machine in a black life support suit). Shit... he can't even use the funky lightning because he has no proper limbs! I feel sorry for him in book. In the book, Anakin's fall and emotional collapse is so well done, yet in the film it is nowhere near as effecting. Especially when you consider what he goes through. Anyone else agree? Also I felt the effects were TOO MUCH and a little distracting in their sheer overkill. All in all, a good send-off for Star Wars but NOT great in my opinion. Still... I'll get the DVD for sure.
M.J.

#33 of 888 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,532 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 01:36 AM

Great review as always Matt! Thanks!
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#34 of 888 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:39 AM

Explains why I don't care enough about him in the film because his turn to the darkside is hastily done. Anakin should've been the audience's representative, instead we are alienated, well I am.

#35 of 888 OFFLINE   Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:45 AM

Yes. I agree. It's too rushed. It's like... After the Palpatine / Mace Windu fight... Anakin - "On No! What have I done!" Palpatine - "Join me Anakin. Join the Dark Side!" Anakin - "Hmmmmm. O.K. Go on then" Too fast baby, too fast. With a bit more time and thought I think the scene could have worked. It needed more tortured decision making and more personal anguish, but instead the scene was "weak". IMHO.
M.J.

#36 of 888 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 02:50 AM

He turned to the darkside when he slaughtered the Tusken Raiders, which in my opinion is a fantastic Star Wars scene. Considering the Jedis are monk-like, Anakin is the maverick, he's suppose to be the identifiable character which the audience clings on to.

#37 of 888 OFFLINE   Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 03:17 AM

So, when Mace Windu and Palpatine are fighting is Palpatine REALLY getting his ass smacked or is he pretending so he can lure Anakin? What ya think?
M.J.

#38 of 888 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 03:43 AM

Honestly, I thought it was all show. Palpatine purposely let Mace have the upper hand in the fight, knowing Anakin was on the way - this way all Anakin would see is Mace nearly killing a "defenseless" older man and force Anakin to lose his respect for Windu. At least, that's my interpretation of the scene.

#39 of 888 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,980 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:02 AM

Yes, absolutely true! A very cool new THX trailer!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#40 of 888 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:06 AM

Two words about this DVD: Must Own!!! Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users