Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
887 replies to this topic

#1 of 888 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 08:18 AM

Be sure to check out the still galleries of production photos. You can choose to view these with or without a caption and overall I found them quite informative! You can also view posters that were used to promote the movie worldwide.

What about DVD-ROM? If you put the DVD in your DVD-ROM drive, you will be taken to a site that gives you some merchandising options as well as an exclusive link (should be available by the time the DVD hits the streets).

IN THE END…

What we’ve seen in Episodes I, II & III is surely able to change one’s perspective of Episodes IV-VI. We see the destruction of the Jedi order, we see the Republic turn into the Galactic Empire. We basically see most of what’s been talked about since A New Hope was released back in 1977. As I think about it, the prequels are very different from the original trilogy and it sometimes makes me wonder what was the true intention of these films in 1977 verses how they are known to be intended today. The original trilogy was about Luke Skywalker and the Rebellion against the Empire. The back story was about the Clone Wars and about what happened to Vader. Now, even though these things were explained in the prequels, the differences are that the prequels are mainly about Anakin/Vader and the original trilogy is not. Vader’s character takes a back seat in the original trilogy and comes across more as an evil pawn for the Emperor and the Governor. And while everything that A New Hope stands for is because of the Clone Wars, the prequels really aren’t about the Clone Wars – they are about Vader; the Clone Wars are a part of the story. So when I hear a quote from George Lucas saying this:

“What drove me to direct Episodes I, II, and III was the larger story about Anakin, who starts out as a good person but who becomes evil – and, ultimately, is redeemed by his children. It’s exciting to see it all comes together.”

I find it a little hard to believe that was the intention during the original trilogy. I think Lucas got lucky with his complex story and it all fell into place for him.

Regardless of my opinion, because it is one in a billion, Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels and a fun movie to watch. Definitely put this on your shopping list because you won’t be disappointed. Now, if Blu-Ray Disc could come a little quicker…please…!!

Michael Osadciw

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 888 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,660 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 08:32 AM

So you recommend buying this DVD, Michael? Posted Image

Thanks for a great review. Relieved, but not surprised, about the quality.

Cees

#3 of 888 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 08:33 AM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the good comment, Cees!

Mike

#4 of 888 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the review Michael. I did not like this at all after seeing it in the theater but I will buy it. Figure that one out.

Actually, I've only seen this once and I look forward to a second viewing that will hopefully change my opinion of it, at least maybe a little. Of the three, I do find AotC the best though.

Quote:
There is no edge enhancement

Now, why can't we get other studios to follow this lead?
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 888 OFFLINE   Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:00 AM

I don't even have to read the review. I'll own this no matter what.

#6 of 888 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,300 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:31 AM

Can't wait to pick this one up!

I'll be doing a marathon soonPosted Image

#7 of 888 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:34 AM

Can we get the title of this thread corrected? It's "Revenge", not "Return" of the Sith. Good review, Michael.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#8 of 888 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:46 AM

Good review Michael, and yes it is called Revenge Of The Sith and not Return. Lucas originally thought of Return then changed it thinking that Return wasn't really something that the Sith would do....just Revenge. Posted Image

#9 of 888 OFFLINE   Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:47 AM

Can we get the title of this thread corrected? It's "Revenge", not "Return" of the Sith. Good review, Michael.

Heh, at least he didn't call it "Star Wars Episode III: Return of the Blue Harvest."

#10 of 888 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,660 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 10:42 AM

The title of this thread is correct. Posted Image

Cees

#11 of 888 OFFLINE   Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 10:51 AM

Just out of curiosity does Anakin really not have the eyebrow scar on the cover?

#12 of 888 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,161 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 13 2005 - 11:04 AM

Thank you, Michael. Well done.

Am really looking forward to checking out the A/V of this release. I fully enjoyed the story as it played out before me at my local cinema, but found the sound rather muddy. I bet I'll like it even more in my living room! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 888 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 11:16 AM

Hi Guys

Return, Revenge, Blue Harvest, The Bridge...yes, when I typed the title I made the error...ooopps...I can't change the title once I post it - that's for the moderators!

It's funny...I didn't notice that I screwed the title up when I wrote it. I left home for a bit and while I was out, I subconsiously told myself I wrote the wrong title...how strange...

Enjoy the disc when it comes out!!

Mike

#14 of 888 OFFLINE   Sev Bragg

Sev Bragg

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 11:23 AM

I agreed with most of the review except the part of things looking too clean, there were just as many scuff marks on the Jedi fighters as there were on the OT X-Wings, and many war scuffs on the clonetroopers.

#15 of 888 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 11:59 AM

they don't count (ships and troopers)...its all computer generated and it looks fake anyway. I'm talking about the clothes, floors, etc...the clothes everyone wears looks like they just came off the rack brand-new in the costume department.

Mike

#16 of 888 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 12:04 PM

Excellent review Michael! I will definately be picking this one up on release day....and since I will be doing a road trip to the states that day, I will pick it up at WalMart with the bonus disc.Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#17 of 888 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 12:13 PM

Now..., the set is complete!!!
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#18 of 888 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 12:22 PM

Nice review Michael. Sith was best new film I've seen in years, REALLY looking forward to the DVD Posted Image

#19 of 888 OFFLINE   Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 12:26 PM

Fantastic Review! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

By the way, I appreciate the technical analysis too. Too many reviewers simply state a bunch of candy coated goop about the image looking good or the sound being loud.
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#20 of 888 OFFLINE   Sev Bragg

Sev Bragg

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 01:02 PM

they don't count (ships and troopers)...its all computer generated and it looks fake anyway. I'm talking about the clothes, floors, etc...the clothes everyone wears looks like they just came off the rack brand-new in the costume department.

I didn't recall the 2 Death Stars floors being dirty at all. I think you need to take a better look at those scenes, the art dept put a weathered look on almost everything that needed to in EP3, Check out ILMer Jon Knoll's new SW in 365 days book, shows off every set and model of all the movies in good detail.

As far as the clothes, the senators don't wear worn out clothing, The Jedi have multiple robes lying around, I still don't get what you mean. Kenobi's robe has charred places by the end of the duel, I have actually seen the outfit on exhibit. And I noticed it in the context of the movie. What looked dirty or worn about Leia's dress at beginning of ANH? Her Bespin Gown? Imperial Officers?

Actually think about the people the OT follows, mostly smuggler types, & rebels in hiding out on backwater planets. Very few politicians.