Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

USHV Press Release: King Kong - Peter Jackson's Production Diaries

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 07:56 PM

Experience Three-Time Oscar® Winner Peter Jackson's Groundbreaking Multimedia Production Chronicle

KING KONG
Peter Jackson's Production Diaries

Street Date: December 13, 2005

Synopsis: For the first time in the history of cinema, film fans will have the opportunity to experience the production of a major motion picture from the unique perspective of a master filmmaker with KING KONG Peter Jackson's Production Diaries. The three-time Academy Award® winning director (the Lord of the Rings trilogy) personally invites viewers to immerse themselves in this unprecedented project, which combines a full-color book with more than 50 pages, four stunning production conceptual art prints and two DVDs to create a step-by-step, first-hand account of the film's intense eight-month production process. In another first, KING KONG Peter Jackson's Production Diaries will be released December 13, 2005, a day before KING KONG opens in theaters.

Available for a limited time only, this handsomely packaged gift set is a must-own for every Peter Jackson and KING KONG fan. KING KONG Peter Jackson's Production Diaries is a beautifully crafted, limited edition work of art that comes with a collector's letter of authenticity. Introduced by Jackson himself, the package's 54 intriguing production diaries provide an unparalleled opportunity to see stars Naomi Watts (Oscar® nominated for 21 Grams), Jack Black (School of Rock) and Adrien Brody (Academy Award® winner for The Pianist) in action as they bring this thrilling tale to the screen. As a special bonus, the set includes a fascinating, detailed look at the creation of one of the film's most exciting action sequences - the fierce battle between Kong and the three T-Rex.

Price: $39.98 SRP
Gift Set Contents:
* A full-color book with more than 50 pages containing dozens of on-set and behind-the-scenes photographs, drawings and images from the production.
* Four exclusive production lithographs created by the conceptual artists at Big Primate Pictures and WETA workshop, commissioned exclusively for the production diaries DVD collection and suitable for framing.
* Numbered letter of authenticity.
* Two DVDs featuring 54 production diaries, an introduction from director Peter Jackson and a special look at the creation of the spectacular Kong/T-Rex battle scene.

o Run Time: 3 Hours 46 Minutes
o MPAA Rating: Not Rated
o Technical: English Dolby Digital 2.0; English SDH; Spanish and French Subtitles
o Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1)

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 04:31 AM

So no Post-Production Diaries. Perhaps they will elease them separately, or include in a King Kong SE.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 04:49 AM

I guess I'm a sucker but I think this set looks cool. Hopefully will be discounted a lot on release day.
I've got my own Toto

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 04:56 AM

AICN has a flyer for it...

http://www.aintitcoo...ay.cgi?id=21541

Jason

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 06:06 AM

SELLING what would ordinarily be free DVD extra features? Isn't this a bit dodgy?

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   RickHeart

RickHeart

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 07:18 AM

Ugh. So it begins...The Production Diaries...The Two Disc Special Edition...the Four Disc Extended Edition...

I'm psyched for this film (b/c it's Peter Jackson), but they have these multiple releases down to a science.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 08:38 AM

I don't think these will be part of any subsequent sets on DVD.

HD-DVD? Yes, of course.

But I think Jackson has also make it clear with the 2 disc and 4 disc sets of LOTR DVDs he doesn't duplicate the bonus features: they are unique to the set their in.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 08:52 AM

Quote:
But I think Jackson has also make it clear with the 2 disc and 4 disc sets of LOTR DVDs he doesn't duplicate the bonus features: they are unique to the set their in.

Which, of course, is the perfect way to force you to buy both sets! Personally I wish they WERE carried across. At least that way you could just go with the more expensive set and be sure you had everything!

JR

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:54 AM

I have not seen anything of KK so far, which makes this dvd set very intriguing
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 01:42 PM

Those who said Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas were right... he sure knows how to milk the fans for all they're worth. Releasing DVD extras as its own seperate DVD for promotional/money-making purposes better not become a new trend.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 13 2005 - 03:04 PM

Quote:
Those who said Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas were right... he sure knows how to milk the fans for all they're worth.

Not counting package changes, all of George Lucas' movies have been released one time on DVD.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
Those who said Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas were right... he sure knows how to milk the fans for all they're worth. Releasing DVD extras as its own seperate DVD for promotional/money-making purposes better not become a new trend.

Agreed. How greedy! Posted Image

Quote:
Not counting package changes, all of George Lucas' movies have been released one time on DVD.

Sure, but don't mention VHS, CD, tape, toylines, etc because that's a different story!

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 11:20 PM

How much time would be necessary to actually prepare these discs.

It's just that I am disappointed this release will not have the Post-Production Diaries, and was wondering how late the release would end up being if they were included.

The thing about the Production Diaries, unlike the internet documentaries inlcuded in the LOTR or Star Wars discs, is that these are essentially from a fan site, albeit a reasonably well-connected fan site. The DVD will have its own documentaries, covering the same material but in a different form. (In fact, one of the PDs had everyone complaining about how annoying the DVD people were.) So I'm not surprised they're being released seperately, since they are very different to what will be on the final disc, but they know that if they were to include both PDs and DVD documentaries on the final Kong disc, every reviewer will be complaining about repetition.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:09 AM

How evil of PJ/Universal forcing you to pay for those free videos instead of just downloading them! EVIL!

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Hector de leon

Hector de leon

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 04:31 AM

As good as the packaging looks on the production diaries, I can only imagine what the eventual Ultimate Super Gigantor Limited Edition Final Movie DVD packing will look like. hmmmm....maybe a furry cover with scars or something.

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Shaughan

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:17 AM

With boxoffice receipts tanking, it is very understandable that a studio might try this marketing approach. No one is forcing anyone to buy it. I think that Universal's recent marketing efforts (i.e. Serenity) are innovative and clearly they are taking the current boxoffice slump seriously and taking measures to mitigate it.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:24 AM

Quote:
Those who said Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas were right... he sure knows how to milk the fans for all they're worth.
As Shaughan just pointed out, no one is holding a gun to any fan's head here. Essentially, Universal and PJ are offering completists a nicely packaged, archival set of stuff they've (mostly) already made available for free. You might doubt the business case for such a release, but it's hardly an indication of malice toward the fans.

That said, I noticed that KiK.Net has just been forced to take down Production Diaries 1-54 in anticipation of this release. That, I will concede, is rather shitty, although I bet with a little searching all the previous files can be found on p2p networks.

Personally, I doubt I'm going to splurge on this upcoming DVD, despite the extra new tidbits that have been advertised. The production diaries, while a nifty glimpse backstage, have been exercises in the art of showing you all kinds of stuff without actually showing you anything. ("Welcome to the art of foley!" Zzzzz....) I'm hungry for some real special features that are able to go in depth about the production without fear of spoilage - the stuff that will be on the real DVD release of this film next year.

Oh, yeah, and I'm looking forward to the movie too.Posted Image

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
I noticed that KiK.Net has just been forced to take down Production Diaries 1-54 in anticipation of this release. That, I will concede, is rather shitty, although I bet with a little searching all the previous files can be found on p2p networks.

Good thing I have them all saved Posted Image

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 06:06 AM

Geez, I don't see this as especially exploitative. I for one have never had the chance to sit and watch all the production diaries, and the few I've seen I'd rather see in high quality. On the other hand there is so much material that if these were packaged in the deluxe multi disc edition next year it'd be a six disc set.

on the other hand if Jackson didn't have any new special features for next year's multi disc edition of King Kong and just put the production diaries on as the special features fans would be up in arms about that.

Undoubtedly there are many fans who would like to own a copy of the production diaries rather than just a downloaded file and these fans would be up in arms if Jackson didn't release the diaries in some DVD edition or another.

So how on earth is he supposed to please everyone, this release seems most likely to be the least offensive option but people are still up in arms. Mindboggling.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
these are essentially from a fan site, albeit a reasonably well-connected fan site.

The site does not produce the videos. They just host 'em. The videos are produced by the Kong crew in NZ.
-Jay

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow