Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Simpons Season 7 - Two heads are better than one

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 01:26 PM

Sorry, that should really say "Two packages are better than one," but I couldn't resist.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=4294

Yes, grab the head, or go headless, it's up to you! There's also a ton of info on the extras for the set.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 39 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 01:30 PM

That's one way to appeal to both sides.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#3 of 39 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Fox! Posted Image

#4 of 39 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,460 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 12 2005 - 02:12 PM

No more pages of complaints about the box? Thank God! Posted Image

#5 of 39 Josh_HI

Josh_HI

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 02:29 PM

I for one am upset. I liked both packages and now I am stuck with a decision to make. I wish they had just kept with the heads and offered the normal packaging in the mail like they did with season 6.I don't want to just own Homer's head seeing as I thought I'd be getting all 5.....But I dunno what to do now...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 of 39 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 03:12 PM

You can buy both. Easy enough.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#7 of 39 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,997 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hope the disc-holders inside don't fall apart this time!!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 39 Josh_HI

Josh_HI

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
You can buy both. Easy enough.

Maybe if I were rich. I can barely afford 1 set.Posted Image

#9 of 39 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,086 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hmm . . . aren't we getting a-head of ourselves here ?
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#10 of 39 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 04:05 PM

I really hope they decide to re-release Season 6 with a real box and not the slipcover.

It doesn't keep me up at night, Posted Image , but since they seem to be adapting based on customer feedback, it would be nice to have a good box for S6. Otherwise it seems S6 will always be the sore thumb.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#11 of 39 John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 04:48 PM

Marge's head. Uh... No thanks.

Posted Image

My DVD cabinet will thank me. My Homer head might feel otherwise, D'oh!

#12 of 39 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 11:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe if I were rich. I can barely afford 1 set.

Holy crap, I thought you were being sarcastic at first. So you don't want to "just" own homer's head...so just get the "head" version.
Kyle McKnight

#13 of 39 Alex-A

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 11:37 PM

My god, there's a studio that actually listens to its customers out there. I honestly wasn't expecting Fox to offer both packages in-store, so it's a nice surprise this morning. I also agree that they should give Season 6 the proper treatment by releasing a real digipak case for it. Otherwise the thing will only fit in with the other sets if you happen to just be looking at the spines.
NCC-2000

#14 of 39 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 12:02 AM

This is great news! My only worry is that someplace like Costco will have the best price, but not carry both versions, and I'll get stuck with tbat head, or have to pay a higher price to buy elsewhere.

I for one am upset. I liked both packages and now I am stuck with a decision to make. I wish they had just kept with the heads and offered the normal packaging in the mail like they did with season 6.I don't want to just own Homer's head seeing as I thought I'd be getting all 5.....But I dunno what to do now...
You're upset that they're giving you a choice? Let me make sure I understand this. You're pissed off cause you don't know what choice to make. But if they had forced you to buy the head, and forced the rest of us to go through the pain-in-the-ass of having to send in for a replacement box, you'd be happy, cause you wouldn't have to make a choice?

Look, just pretend they gave you no choice, and buy the head. The end result will be that you'll have the head, just as if they had forced you to buy it, while the rest of us will be very happy to be able to buy the regular box in-store.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#15 of 39 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 01:00 AM

Nice to see the choice, but the homer head is still a head, even if it has a nice new slipcover over it. I still haven't picked up season 6 myself, but I'll probably end up getting all of the heads, since I'm just that kind of completist Posted Image

I actually think the idea is pretty cool-they just have to be a little sturdier, that's all. At least they took into account that these things have to fit on a standard DVD shelf. There are some discs that are in crazy oversized cases that make em hard to shelve (Triplets of Belleville-I'm looking at YOU).
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#16 of 39 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
I for one am upset. I liked both packages and now I am stuck with a decision to make. I wish they had just kept with the heads and offered the normal packaging in the mail like they did with season 6.I don't want to just own Homer's head seeing as I thought I'd be getting all 5.....But I dunno what to do now..
I'm with Josh. I liked the idea of collecting the "Head" box while being able to send away for the original package (for just a shipping fee).

To those who don't understand this, now you see what you guys sound like when you complain about the little things. Posted Image

You guys are giving props to Fox ONLY because they did things YOUR way. That's quite unfair overall. I am one who was happy with the system they put in place and now it's being changed. That's bad PR in my book.
Quote:
Look, just pretend they gave you no choice, and buy the head. The end result will be that you'll have the head, just as if they had forced you to buy it, while the rest of us will be very happy to be able to buy the regular box in-store.
I want to play Devils Advocate here (i.e. I'm not mad at your statement) - I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be upset if I said (with the Homer head) to just "deal with it and forget about it", but a lot of people didn't and felt the need to complain and bitch and moan, instead of just "dealing with it".

I was one who was happy with the old method and now that they've changed that, why is it bad for ME to now start complaining?

Obviously the reason is because my complaint isn't shared by most here, so it must be wrong?? That's also unfair.

Giving us a choice is great, but they had already put a system in palce and I wished they had continued it. I do NOT want to have to buy both sets to get both packages (and to suggest that, is preposterous and extremely insulting).

#17 of 39 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 02:29 AM

Who cares about the head...

GOLDBLUM.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#18 of 39 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 03:20 AM

You guys are giving props to Fox ONLY because they did things YOUR way. That's quite unfair overall. I am one who was happy with the system they put in place and now it's being changed. That's bad PR in my book.
Hmm. Close, but not quite. Fox is getting props for listening to the vast majority of their customers. It's certainly not bad PR for a company to do something that makes 99% of their customers happy and 1% unhappy. Bad PR would be to do something that made 1% happy and 99% unhappy. On the other hand, the best PR would be to have it both ways, which they certainly could. They could make the cardboard box still available by mail for those who've bought the head and for some reason still want the other box. And frankly, I would inquire with them whether or not that's an option, before getting mad at them for changing things due to the wishes of the vast majority of their customers.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#19 of 39 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
It's certainly not bad PR for a company to do something that makes 99% of their customers happy and 1% unhappy.
I will bet you any amount of money that those customers, who are unhappy with the packaging, do not add up to 100%.

What you are referring to is the segment of consumers who are unhappy with the packaging. This segment is probably not more than 50% of the total. And of that 50%, there is still a smaller percentage of those (like myself and Josh) who weren't crazy about the head box, but got used to the idea of the mail-in way (to get both).

So while it's great PR to please this final (small) percentage of those who want the original box, it is bad PR to upset those who were getting used to the system they put in place for the Homer head.

Again, isn't this what your original gripe was in the first place? You guys got used to Seasons 1-5 being a certain way and when they changed it, you got pissed off. What I'm saying is, I just got used to having to buy the head box and mail in for the alt. package (for Seasons 6-10) and they went and changed THAT on me! I am upset that the system keeps changing!
Quote:
They could make the cardboard box still available by mail for those who've bought the head and for some reason still want the other box.
I do hope they do that. That would make me happy.
Quote:
And frankly, I would inquire with them whether or not that's an option, before getting mad at them for changing things due to the wishes of the vast majority of their customers.
I wouldn't have griped here, but the comments that were made, were also made with the assumption that the alt. packaging isn't going to be made available...so I had to respond (with the same assumptions)...

[rant]This is a rant, based on the fact that I am assuming Fox isn't offering the alt. package:[/rant]
If Fox doesn't offer the mail in packaging for the Marge head version, I hope everyone here gets upset...

Why should you be upset??? Let's say a studio releases the first movie (of a trilogy) in both Pan and Scan and Widescreen. On the Widescreen copy, they put a bunch of extras, but on the P&S copy, they put nothing.

Now let's say that a bunch of people (who like P&S) complained to the studio about no extras on the copy they bought...so, when the studio released the next movie (of the trilogy) what they did is...on the P&S version they had one set of 'extras' and on the widescreen version, they had another set of extras which were completely different than the P&S extras...

Obviously you guys would be upset about this, but would it be fair of me to say "just buy both"? Or would you be happy that the studio listened to its consumers and obliged them with their request?

After all, isn't that what we all want? We want the studios to listen to the consumers? right?

In other words, sometimes listening to the consumers, makes other consumers upset. This is why I find the "buy both" comments to be upsetting. It seems very smug that you got your way and changed the system for those of us who liked what they had in place for Season 6.

#20 of 39 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted October 13 2005 - 04:36 AM

Well I haven't picked up season 6 yet, but when I do, I don't think I'll worry about sending in for the slip cover. Sure, I think it's great they're giving us a choice for season 7, but season 6 will always be a head no matter how you look at it. So I might as well follow suit and collect all the heads. If they released S6 in a digipack, I would obviously lean in that direction, but I don't really want to own 6 digipacks and 1 head with a cover over it. lol.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow