Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

One Step Beyond question?....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,003 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 12:43 PM

Can someone tell me about all the different versions out there and is their ones are complete and uncut??? Thanks!
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 12 2005 - 07:11 PM

Check out this thread from a while back.

All but 13 episodes of this show have fallen into the public domain. I'd love to see a complete remastered set of these shows by season...but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 08:49 AM

Ready to take One Step Beyond and purchase a set and from what I've read, I'll probably be sucking in dirt by the time this show ever gets a proper release. OK, I know the 12 DVD Delta Set has the most episodes at 49 which I found for $60, but then Delta has another 8 DVD Set with 33 Episodes for only $26 and change at Amazon. It's really crazy, how this show has been released. Anyway, I would like to get as many of the Episodes as possible and according to Jeffrey above, 83 have been released on DVD so far. So what DVDs do I need to buy to have the most complete collection available? I'm sure a lot of you have already done this, which is why I'm asking. Normally, I do my own leg work using Google, but with all the different releases of this show out there, It started giving me a major headache. I also refuse to buy the version which has the damn logo in the corner while viewing. Thanks in advance to anyone with some insite on this.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 11:43 PM

For some reason, Jeffrey's link to a previous discussion on OSB isn't working so perhaps this one will:

http://www.hometheat....ne Step Beyond

Although 83 episodes may be in the public domain, you won't find that many on the various DVD compilations that are out there (and there are many). There are around 60 episodes that are circulating, the vast majority sourced from battered 16 mm syndication prints. The easiest way to get most of these episodes is the 12-disc, 49-episode collection from Delta (one of the episodes included in the set, "Midnight," is not a true OSB episode, but rather an episode of an early 1950s anthology series titled "Stars Over Hollywood" that somehow had a OSB title card placed on it) and the 2-disc, 12-episode collection from VCI, which is the best looking set available and has a number of episodes not found on other collections. VCI was supposed to do a follow-up to their first set, but that never happened. You may find a few miscellaneous episodes on other sets, but the two sets mentioned above will give you about 54 or 55 episodes from the entire series, with minimal duplication. I'd agree with Jeff Nelson that we'll probably never see a fully remastered collection of the entire series. The many PD releases of this series have probably dashed any chance of an official release, though it's always possible that some enterprising releasing company might take a chance on the copyrighted episodes.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info Bob. Much appreciated. Probably going with the 12 DVD Set.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 03:32 PM

Host / producer/ director / actor John Newland was not only an important element of the original late 1950s / early 60s One Step Beyond, but also the 1978 syndication revival series Next Step Beyond. Unfortunately, I seem to recall the new show was shot on videotape instead of film and it looked very cheap and staged in comparison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users