What's new

Is there a ray of hope for WKRP?? (1 Viewer)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
In Randy Salas's excellent article today (thanks to tvshowsondvd.com for the link), there's quite a bit of discussion about "WKRP In Cincinnati" and its status as a resident of Music Clearance Hell. It was mentioned that getting the music clearances would add $10 to the cost of each set, which would hurt sales, which would require an even higher price, and so on.

I suspect that Fox has done its share of market research into this question, so I can't confidently say that a "WKRP" set would sell... but I can confidently say that I would gladly pay more for a "WKRP" complete season set as long as I knew it featured the uncut episodes with the music that has not been heard in syndication for years. Unlike "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," which is always playing somewhere, "WKRP" is hardly playing anywhere (I think TVLand has a chopped-up, musically butchered version), because it's in such bad shape musically that it can't be shown in its original form anywhere. DVD is practically the only hope fans have of seeing the episodes the way they were meant to be seen, and I can't think of a WKRP fan who wouldn't pay extra for the show (say, over and above the cost of a M*A*S*H set) if the set sported a sticker saying "Restored episodes with the original music" or something like that, just to let people know why the extra cost. Extras are not important; what's important is the show itself, and I can't help thinking that there might be a market for a show that is currently practically a "lost" show... though, again, I can't say that for sure.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ten bucks? They're worried over $10? There are way too many seris' out now that vary in price more than that.

Gee, I thought it would have been a couple of hundred at least.

Glenn

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I think they should release it on Thanksgiving 2004, and to promote it on that big day, Fox should drop turkeys from helicopters circling over Cincinatti.

Great article, Randy!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I agree that $10 wouldn't be a problem for me.

Edit: I think Fox's concern is not the bigger fans or the folks who understand the DVD market like HTFers, but the mass market out there that might just see "oh, this is so expensive" and pass on it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yeah, I can't believe it's that low either. They way everyone invokes "music rights expenses" all the time, I'd have thought it was at least $50-per-set difference or higher.

But I think the "Roswell" approach is the right idea. Pay for those few songs that actually have some resonance to the story, and replace the rest of the filler with more filler. As noted in the first post, the original soundtrack of WKRP likely hasn't been heard since the original airings. Is anyone going to notice if one song is replaced with another (unless it's plot-related)?

Then the music rights holders can go back to living in their little 19th century hidey-holes, holding tight to their "precious," where no one gives a rat's ass about their song or listens to it anymore.

BTW - Not a fan of WKRP so I wouldn't buy it at any price, but there are probably shows I would buy that are in similar music rights limbo.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, when a set goes from (as an example) $50 to $60 list price, that's a 120% increase in the SRP. That's GOTTA make a difference to their marketing plan, don't you think?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'd certainly pay the extra bucks to have the uncut episodes. On the other hand I wouldn't pay even 1 cent for butchered ones.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

What math is that? :confused:

Seems like a 20% increase to me. A 120% increase would be from $50 to $110.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I'd pay an extra $10 (for uncut episodes). The show only lasted 4 seasons so the cost of collecting it won't be too high. Besides, it's worth it if it means owning the infamous Thanksgiving episode "Turkeys Away". One of the funniest episodes ever on any sitcom. :laugh:

Les: It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From... W.... ... K... ... R... ... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but - Oh my God, Johnny, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenberg tragedy has there been anything like this!

Johnny: Les? Are you there? Les isn't there. (composing himself) Thanks for that on-the-spot report, Les, and for those of you who just tuned in, the Pinedale Shopping Mall has just been bombed with live turkeys. Film at eleven.

ROFL!!!! :laugh:

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I'd pay the $10 - I'd even sacrifice some of the weaker episodes (which is not very many) to hold down the costs. The first-season clip show, for example, could be left out.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'd pay $15 easy.
the one ep that the music is important that i remember first is the one were the russian defector falls for Jennifer or was it Bailey. anyway elton john's song tiny dancer was very important in this ep.

:D

btw i'm a Bailey Quarters fan not a Jennifer fan.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on the final cost would be the determining factor for me to get the wkrp sets.

In his article it also metioned saturday night live being a real problem with the music issues. It can`t be that big of a problem, didn`t a big box set of just music acts on SNL just get released?

I`d like to see SNL get released without the music acts. Since it was mostly one hit wonders or the over played froced fed radio friedly garbage.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
At least Fox give the impression they've looked into the WKRP situation. Does anybody really believe Universal have really done their homework with Miami Vice? They probaly saw the 300 plus song list and thought "Nah, what the world really wants and needs is that decade defining show "Sliders". Every man in the world wanted to be Jerry O'Connell... :frowning:

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
This post is not directed at anyone personally, it's a rhetorical point so please don't take offense:

So are the people who are willing to pay $10 extra for WKRP the same who pointed their fingers at Fox for pricing their MTM set too high resulting in the low sales that have stalled future season sets?

$10 doesn't seem a like a lot to a diehard fan of the show, but to the casual consumer it is. Let's face it, it's the casual consumer that makes or breaks a product. Fox knows that they have guaranteed sales to the group of WKRP fanatics that have written them to release the sets. But the key to the success are the John/Jane Does out there shopping at Walmart, K-Mart, etc. or who perhaps see an ad in "Entertainment Weekly". They see the set and remember that they (or perhaps a family member needing a gift) liked the show. What determines whether or not they buy it: price. The average consumer doesn't buy as many DVDs as the people on this forum do so they prioritize their purchases. Those that are perceived as being too expensive lose out.

Just my 2 cents.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the real question on MTM is why is the price high, compared to sets with similiar features i think it is about 10 bucks too high.

thats why i havent bought it.

Terry H

Second Unit

I have news for you. There is such a glut of television coming to dvd nearly everyone must prioritize their purchases. I buy a lot of dvds but I can no longer buy everything that appeals. Consider that the MSRP of MASH is $40. An extra $10 makes it $50 which happens to be the MSRP of Cheers. So it appears to me that WKRP wouldn't be priced waaaay out there. It's still in the ballpark. I would expect to pay $30 - $35 range the first week of release. I could live with that. However, any more would certainly exceed my pain threshold. As a point of reference consider that I just paid $35 for The West Wing and have pre-ordered the next season of Buffy for the same figure. Both are hour long shows and IMO among the best ever produced. Faced with such competition fresh in peoples minds I'm not sure how WKRPwould fare. I personally think it could succeed with an MSRP of $50. I doubt the market would tolerate more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks