Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

At long last, Mission: Impossible!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
383 replies to this topic

#381 of 384 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,112 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted December 05 2011 - 10:07 PM

Wow. So fast!  The 88 set was released a week ago today and Amazon still hasn't managed to get it to me.  Maybe today. It'll be great to have both seasons of this remake on DVD, complete, and next to the seven full seasons of the classic show.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#382 of 384 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 11:55 AM

May end up getting the Region 1 set of Mission: Impossible: The '88 TV Season, if CBS/P's Region 2 branch doesn't release the set.

Great that the second season is being released only three months after the first season.

#383 of 384 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,112 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:11 PM

My '88 Season set arrived today and I only had a chance to sample the opening to see what it looked and sounded like.

As I expected, since this show was put together in the '80s, it was post-edited in the video domain, so the image comes across quite soft.  Given the relative obscurity of this particular iteration of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, I wouldn't look for CBS/Paramount to do any high-def transfer attempts like they're doing for STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION.  I'm afraid this is as good as we'll ever see this one be.

Still, I'm happy to have these at all and am not complaining.  As I recall, my attempts to watch and/or tape the series when it aired were constantly thwarted by the scheduling whims of the networks.  It always seemed to be on against something else that required taping too.  So other than a soundtrack CD, I haven't had access to any of these episodes since 1988-89.

The episodes appear to be as-broadcast on ABC, with the ">) In Stereo Where Available(<" message displayed at the opening of some episodes.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#384 of 384 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted April 22 2012 - 06:47 AM

DVD Talk reviews of Mission: Impossible - The '88 TV Season and The '89 TV Season (Region 1):

Mission: Impossible - The '88 TV Season (Region 1) - DVD Talk review

Mission: Impossible - The '89 TV Season (Region 1) - DVD Talk review

The Mission: Impossible revival series is also being released on Region 2 in the UK by Revelation Films, with release dates of Monday 23rd July and Monday 15th October respectively (source: Amazon UK).