-

Photo
- - - - -

At long last, Mission: Impossible!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
383 replies to this topic

#1 of 384 OFFLINE   James Landau

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 07:16 AM

Just read the exciting news on TSOD that Mission: Impossible will finally be hitting DVD around April of next year. It's about time! This is probably my most wanted television series that hasn't seen a DVD release yet. And with the great job Paramount has done with Have Gun, Will Travel, I fully expect Mission: Impossible will be done right as well.

I just hope they don't skip right to the second season and Jim Phelps. TSOD doesn't seem to think they will since they spend quite a bit of time describing the first season.

Heaven help me if they announce season sets of The Wild Wild West as well. I won't be able to stand the anticipation.

#2 of 384 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,661 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 07:28 AM

Good news indeed! My mom will be thrilled too. Posted Image

#3 of 384 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 07:36 AM

Great show and so unlike the movies it's incredible.
Maybe some commentaries??

#4 of 384 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 08:30 AM

I just hope they don't skip right to the second season and Jim Phelps. TSOD doesn't seem to think they will since they spend quite a bit of time describing the first season.

I second your comments regarding season 1 and I don't think that Paramount will skip it as Steven Hill, who portrayed Jim Phelps' predecessor, Dan Briggs, enjoyed a television career revival of sorts on "Law & Order" for a good number of years, so there's a certain "marquee value" to including his episodes though, admittedly, not as much as Peter Graves. Frankly, given Paramount's track record with classic/vintage shows, I would be very surprised if they skipped season 1. I have a single Briggs episode on an old LP speed VHS from Goodtimes that must be about 15 years old and the visual quality has markedly deteriorated, to say the least, so I'm really looking forward to this set.

#5 of 384 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,327 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 09:25 AM

Good news indeed.

Whether Paramount will skip season 1 and the Dan Briggs shows, I think there's no worries here. Many years ago, Paramount released a few laserdiscs of Mission Impossible. They were a mixture of both first and second season and featured the Martin Landau and Barabara Bain era and both Steven Hill and Peter Graves. I grabbed one of those LD's, fun to watch.

Mikel, I agree with you, what was Brian DePalma and Jon Voight thinking!

If I was in Paramount's marketing department, I might suggest a box design that resembles a tape recorder.:b

#6 of 384 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 01:58 PM

Steven Hill and Season One of Mission Impossible...one of the very best things about to happen on DVD.

#7 of 384 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 06:54 PM

They announced my favorite series ever on my birthday Oct. 11th. Best present I got. I hope they not only do all 7 seasons including the outstanding debut year with Dan Briggs as IMF leader but I'd even go for the ABC series which ran for 2 years much later with Phelps & an all new crew. Can't get enough MI.Posted Image

#8 of 384 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 09:43 PM

Quote:
I'd even go for the ABC series which ran for 2 years much later with Phelps & an all new crew.
I'm very interested in the classic Mission Impossible, but I've never seen it. But if they were to ever release the new MI, I'd jump for joy. That was the one I watched as a kid, and I loved it. I have very vivid memories of some of those episodes, and would love to see it again.

But this is the classic MI we're getting, and that's cool. The original is (almost) always better.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#9 of 384 OFFLINE   MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 01:00 AM

I was going to say Matthew your making me feel very old..lol, but your not as far ahead as I thought.

Actually, I wouldn't mind the second MI either..they had a good cast, and the same kind of feel to it as the original.

#10 of 384 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 12 2005 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Steven Hill and Season One of Mission Impossible...one of the very best things about to happen on DVD.

That's a BIG 10-4 Posted Image

This is one series that I've wanted to see released for a long time.

As for which is better, the original or the "new" MI. that's a good discussion thread of it's own Posted Image . For me, since I grew up watching the original series, I like it better but since the "new" MI was mentioned here, I'd get that one on DVD if/when it's released.

"Good Morning, Mr Briggs (in honor of the 1st MI team leader). You mission, should you decide to accept it, would be to pre-order M1 S1 asap and active the priority communications channel to relay the S1 Release News through the usual agent links. Please dispose of this recording in the usual manner. Good Luck, Dan!"

Thanks, TSoD guru's Gord/Dave for the great news post!

(anyone else out there remember the original line from S1 vs the later "This recording will self-destruct in 5 seconds"?) Posted Image Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#11 of 384 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,900 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 02:48 AM

While I enjoyed the new Mission Impossible. The original was much better. That being said. I hope Paramount releases the new series also.

Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#12 of 384 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 05:23 PM

Steven Hill was fired from Mission Impossible several episodes before the end of the first year. The reason: He is an orthodox Jew and he inconvenienced the cast & crew with his insistence to finish before sundown on the sabbath on Friday nights.

The last few shows of the 1st year just had the IMF team performing their duties without the usual mission briefings at the beginning. There was one, however, when Cinnamon Carter (Barbara Bain's character) gets to play the tape! In typical classic TV fashion, Briggs' departure was never explained any more than Chester leaving GUNSMOKE.

"This tape will self-destruct in 5 seconds." was introduced during the first season. Don't forget that sometimes Briggs and Phelps would get their mission briefings on LP records too. Posted Image

In the late 1980s Mission: Impossible, Peter Graves returned as Phelps and he assembled a new team -- all of whom were much younger than him but not too young. In the new series Jim had a laserdisc to view his missions. Oddly enough it still doesn't seem dated today even though LD is a dead video format!

#13 of 384 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted October 12 2005 - 09:52 PM

The 1980's revival was born out of necessity during the writers' strike. Since the show hadn't been seen in years, they just re-worked some old scripts and filmed the show in Australia to save bucks. Still, I liked that incarnation as well, and would welcome its appearance on DVD sometime in the future. For now, though - bring on the original, and best!
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#14 of 384 OFFLINE   Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 02:46 PM

I'm very excited about this!! I have a lot of the shows on VHS recorded off TV, comercials etc. I got the columbia house MI set, but sadly it only included 20 shows. Hopefully some extras will be included. I somewhat enjoyed the newer version as well, but didn't have some of the magic of the original.

#15 of 384 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 05:39 PM

The FX cable channel reran the original MI series 7 days a week back in the 1990s.

#16 of 384 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:18 PM

Quote:
The FX cable channel reran the original MI series 7 days a week back in the 1990s.

I remember. If only we'd had Tivo back then.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#17 of 384 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:51 PM

Quote:

By the time my cable company got FX, they were reduced to running the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE show once a week. I managed to grab a few to VHS back then, but the channel itself didn't come in all that great (snow, co-channel interference).

There was another local-station marathon a number of years ago, and I grabbed a few more that way. But other than those, and the dozen or so that Paramount and Goodtimes released on tape (at SLP speed!), I've not seen most of these since ther original network runs thirty-plus years ago.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#18 of 384 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:05 AM

FX also was airing reruns of RAWHIDE every day too. If I had my DVD recorder back then, I wouldn't have recorded either series because a few minutes were edited out for commercial time and FX is notorious for interrupting & compressing end theme music.

#19 of 384 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,900 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 03:35 AM

USA Network about 8 years ago ran the new Mission Impossible. I was able to record some before they stopped.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#20 of 384 OFFLINE   Ben King

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 06:28 AM

I read in "TV Zone" magazine today that Mission: Impossible is coming out in the U.K. too. Season one will apparently be out on May 1st, with season two following on September 11th.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow