What's new

Horn Blows at Midnight and other Jack Benny movies (1 Viewer)

DanFe

Second Unit
Who owns this movie and when might we see it and other JB movies come out?

Charles H

Screenwriter
WB owns THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT, GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE< and BROADWAY MELODY OF 1935, IT'S IN THE AIR. Universal owns 7 Benny pictures via MCA/Paramount. And Fox owns CHARLEY'S AUNT and THE MEANEST MAN IN THE WORLD. The Fox films would make a wonderful--and rare--double bill.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
And let's not forget that Benny's best film, TO BE OR NOT TO BE is available from Warners

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would buy all of the above listed films. Benny didn't make many movies in the 30s/40s, but the movies he did are usually quite funny. And that includes "Horn" which he made fun of for the rest of his life.

Steve

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
He also provided the voice for an animated mouse version of himself in a great WB cartoon called "THE MOUSE THAT JACK BUILT" (and makes a live action appearance at the end!).

Happily, this cartoon is said to be included on Warner Brothers' next LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION release (V.3) due out, I believe, this month.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A Jack Benny boxset would be great, and I would pre-order it in a heartbeat.

What a great comedian.

"Call the wife I said. Don't barge in on the little woman."

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've heard nothing about HORN (or any of the other MIA Warner titles), but there are rumblings that Fox has their 2 Benny titles (MEANEST MAN, CHARLEY'S AUNT) in the pipeline.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I love "Horn." An old favorite. I'd buy it in a split second. By the way, has TCM ever run "It's in the Air" (1935)? I remember seeing it on TNT, back around 1989, when the network first started, but I haven't run across it since. Always wanted to see it again, but somehow just never see it pop up on TCM. It wasn't all that great, but it also had Una Merkel, and I always enjoy her performances too.

However, what I'd most like to see released are the ones Jack Benny did for Paramount, like "Artists and Models Abroad," "Love Thy Neighbor," "The Big Broadcast of 1937," and the like. Those were great. Oh, and "Buck Benny Rides Again." And "Man About Town." Guess there were more than I realized. I think there was also one with Jack with "College" in the title... but I always get those film titles confused... "College Holiday," "College Swing," "College Humor," etc.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I've wanted "The Horn Blows At Midnight" to be released since DVD's came out in 1997.
When the movie was first released on VHS, my family had the tradition of watching it every New Years Eve for years.
Wouldn't mind doing that again.:)
Paul

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
"Horn" is an old favorite of mine. I fell in love with it in the seventies when a local station ran a show called "Dialing For Dollars" where they would show an old movie, ask trivia questions during the commercial break, and viewers would call in to win prizes. "Horn" was shown at least once a year. I would love to own it on DVD.

Real Name
David
Anything with Jack in it is great! To Be or Not to Be was long overdue in 2005 and Charley's Aunt was a pleasant surprise last year, however, I don't anticipate any of his unreleased films coming to DVD any time soon (Broadway Melody of 1936 in out in April).

Charles H

Screenwriter
Universal holds the bulk of the Benny product (MAN ABOUT TOWN, BUCK BENNY RIDES AGAIN, ARTISTS AND MODELS, ARTISTS AND MODELS ABROAD, LOVE THY NEIGHBOR. COLLEGE HOLIDAY, THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1937) and during the final days of VHS, there was talk of bringing out Benny films as part of a comedy line. They did bring out some Burns & Allen films that were subsequently portaled over to dvd. I was surprised--and a bit disappointed--that Fox did not bring THE MEANEST MAN IN THE WORLD with CHARLEY'S AUNT last year. MEANEST is a very short film (57 minutes) and it's difficult another marketing venue. Has anyone ever seen (MGM, 1935)? Has it ever been shown on TCM?

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Charles H said:
Has anyone ever seen (MGM, 1935)? Has it ever been shown on TCM?
Are you referring to IT'S IN THE AIR (MGM 1935)? I don't believe it's been shown on TCM in the past ten years; before that, I don't know. It was shown a couple times on TNT in the early 1990s.
Untypical Benny characterization, most of the comedy is left to costars Ted Healy and Nat Pendleton. Threestooges dot net has a detailed plot, cast & crew filmography entry (sorry, I don't have enough posts to provide a direct link).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Fox commissioned liner notes for MEANEST MAN some time ago but that title was never released. CHARLEY'S AUNT was a wonderful DVD but wasn't promoted very much and probably didn't sell well which doesn't bode well for a MM release.
I would be shocked if WHV didn't offer HORN and GEORGE WASHINGTON in the not too distant future. HORN in particular is a very funny movie in my opinion.
Steve

stevenHa

Second Unit
On Warner Archive Facebook, they said they are remastering Horn Blows at Midnight and it will be released on DVD at some unspecified date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks