Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A little bit of oil....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Roman-K

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:06 PM

I received nip/tuck in the mail today and my wife wanted to watch. After 5 atempts I could not play it and got an error as there was a scratch and the DVD player would not read the disc. My wife was grumpy and out of despreation I got some canola oil and rubbed it over the disc with a no-scratch cloth, put it into the DVD player and amazingly it started up. I know there are DVD repair kits available, but I don't have one and the stores are all closed so I thought I might pass on a solution that worked for me.
Alive Web Directory | The Longest | Play Free Games Online

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 02:53 AM

What made you think to use canola oil? It sounds like such a risky move to try on a whim.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 05:36 AM

You probably just removed some debris that was on the disc...

Canola oil isn't going to remove a scratch, or is it... Posted Image

Whatever works, I suppose.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,419 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 08 2005 - 05:40 AM

I think the oil 'filled' in the scratch. I've heard that toothpaste can do the same thing. I'm not gonna try it but I think as long as the scratch isn't too bad, filling it can actually correct the problem.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Roman-K

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 06:05 AM

Actually I tried toothpaste first, I don't know why I did, but it didn't work. The scratch was and still is quite bad. I tried the oil as I would be returning the DVD anyways and my wife really wanted to watch. I have to agree with TravisR, the oil probably filled in the scratch enough for the disc to be read.
Alive Web Directory | The Longest | Play Free Games Online

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users