What's new

A little bit of oil.... (1 Viewer)

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
I received nip/tuck in the mail today and my wife wanted to watch. After 5 atempts I could not play it and got an error as there was a scratch and the DVD player would not read the disc. My wife was grumpy and out of despreation I got some canola oil and rubbed it over the disc with a no-scratch cloth, put it into the DVD player and amazingly it started up. I know there are DVD repair kits available, but I don't have one and the stores are all closed so I thought I might pass on a solution that worked for me.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
What made you think to use canola oil? It sounds like such a risky move to try on a whim.

John*D

Second Unit
You probably just removed some debris that was on the disc...

Canola oil isn't going to remove a scratch, or is it... ;)

Whatever works, I suppose.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the oil 'filled' in the scratch. I've heard that toothpaste can do the same thing. I'm not gonna try it but I think as long as the scratch isn't too bad, filling it can actually correct the problem.

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I tried toothpaste first, I don't know why I did, but it didn't work. The scratch was and still is quite bad. I tried the oil as I would be returning the DVD anyways and my wife really wanted to watch. I have to agree with TravisR, the oil probably filled in the scratch enough for the disc to be read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks