Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Simpsons Season 6 - DVNR is back!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 08:52 AM

Hello everyone, it's the DVNR guy here Posted Image
First up, if you don't care about DVNR, this is just going to seem like nitpicking, so don't read it if you don't care.

Anyway, this is copied almost word for word from my web site, have a read (and gasp at the horror):

Quote:
And just when you thought all was well in digital clean-up land! Not only is it packaged inside a Halloween mask that resembles Homer Simpson's head, but the latest DVD release of "America's favorite family" has all the disappearing lines and misplaced paint splodges that you'd typically associate with the release of old, beat-up 1940s material as well. If you don't know what DVNR is, go here.

That is, the European/Australasian version does. Sadly, our review copy was supplied by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment UK and as such is in the PAL video standard. "The Simpsons" originated on American TV so was originally in NTSC video. The standards conversion on the set is pretty poor - camera pans look bad with skipped frames everywhere. I haven't seen the American NTSC version, which obviously won't have the standards conversion issues, so I can't tell you if it is DVNR'd or not. It's very possible that whatever standards conversion unit Fox have used to convert the show into the European video system has also decided to DVNR the picture as well, but I digress, whatever's gone wrong, it's not very pleasant to watch, even if the show was never about fantastic visuals in the first place.

Pop in the first disc and watch Matt Groening's introduction, where he proudly mentions the guest voices present in this season. The animated Tito Puente's hands very slightly begin to mash up as he frantically taps his bongos. In "Bart Vs Australia", a scene with Bart and his dad running sees their feet turn to mush. It's another example of a DVD's image quality being needlessly muddied. The people transferring the video probably didn't even know the DVNR was turned on or what it was doing. Perhaps it's because we live in a world where people get picked for jobs based on qualifications rather than actual knowledge, I don't know. Anyway, enjoy this selection of fun images.

And before any Slashdotters tattle, no, I wasn't looking (who'd think to look for DVNR on a TV show that's less than 10 years old?), it's visible on normal playback.

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to post the pictures here because of the software this board is running, I'm only permitted to link to other sites after 15 posts (I'm only at 7 right now). But, and I hope this doesn't clash with forum rules, you can go to my web site at lyris-lite dot net and you'll be able to see the pictures under the October 6, 2005 heading (which right now will be at the top of the page). Maybe a more senior forum member could post them here for convenience.

We get review copies ahead of the sets actually hitting store shelves, but has the Season 6 box set been released over in the States yet? Although I live in Scotland which is a PAL territory, I always import the original NTSC versions of this sort of thing because I don't like standards conversions. If anyone has (or is going to get) their hands on a copy of the American set, would they mind checking and telling me if the DVNR is present too, or if it's been done at the standards conversion stage?

Thanks everyone!

#2 of 4 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 12:12 PM

Yes, this set has been released in America. There are a couple of threads about it already. I didn't notice any DVNR myself, and I haven't seen any complaints about it in the other threads.

#3 of 4 David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:05 AM

Good to hear, I can then be fairly sure it's been done at the NTSC->PAL stage. Most TVs sold in Europe and all DVD players can show an NTSC video signal anyway, I don't understand why they don't just leave NTSC programming in NTSC over here.

#4 of 4 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 12:19 PM

Good to hear, I can then be fairly sure it's been done at the NTSC->PAL stage.

You might want to ask on those other Simpsons season 6 threads if anyone else noticed any DVNR. (Most people on the Home Theater Forum have better TVs than I do, so it's possible that DVNR exists but that I just didn't notice it.)