What's new

Help me choose between these 2 DVD recorders (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The Toshiba D-R4 and the Panasonic DMR-ES10S. I'm planning on picking up one or the other this weekend. Right now I'm leaning towards the Panasonic.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Not sure but I think the Toshiba has the "Black Level Bug" & if you want the Panny 10 grab it fast because it has been replaced by the DMR-ES20 which has less Editing Features & only 1 Rear A/V Input. But it does have a Front DVI Input.

Go to www.avsforum.com where you can get a lot of info on DVD Recorders but they do tend to like Panasonic & Pioneer but you should still be able to get info about the Toshiba.

If I had to make a choice it would be the Panny 10 with Pioneer a close second because the Pioneer has a ton of Editing Features, Manual Record Speeds & has Dual Layer DVD Recording.

Again, check AVS Forum out.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Found the Panasonic DMR-ES10S for $159 at Best Buy. I went ahead and ordered it and will pick it up in-store on Friday. They amazingly enough had it in stock.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Todd H, I'm glad you could get the 10 & I don't think you'll be disappointed either with it. I forgot also to add that the 20 is also 2 pounds lighter & a lot less deeper & some people over at AVS have been saying that it might have cheaper parts in it & it looks like a whole new Panasonic design which is untested & it could be selling for $159 before Christmas & maybe even have a closeout price of $99 so you did OK with $159 on the 10. The Owners Manual for the 10 is up on Panasonic's website if you want to check it out select "Support" on the top of this page www.panasonic.com

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I did a little research yesterday and read about the 20. Seems a lot of people aren't too happy with it. Over at AVSforum they were basically saying pick up the 10 if you can still find it.

This is actually replacing two components in my living room...my trusty old Pioneer DVD player and my crappy old VCR that never met a tape it didn't eat. I almost picked up a TIVO instead but I don't record a whole lot. Plus the wife wants to dub our wedding video to DVD so a DVD recorder seemed like a good choice.

Edit: Just found out that my local Best Buy doesn't have it in stock after all. I gave Best Buy a call and they located another store that actually had 6 on the shelf. Told them I would pick it up from that store instead, even though it's about 2 hours away. I just got the e-mail saying their holding it for me. Oh well. Road trip!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I don't know if I would drive 4 hours to get one?

Can't you get Best Buy to ship it to a store near you?

Also your wife should be happy with the Panny to transfer your wedding tapes because the Panny's create the best dubs from video tapes to dvds bar none ;)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Two hours is a rough estimate. It's a straight shot on the interstate so I'm thinking more like an hour and a half. Besides, I'm taking the wife out tonight and the place I'm taking her is close to the town where the Best Buy is.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Well have fun & don't forget while your there to pick up some blank DVDs especially some DVD-RAMs because the RAMs are the ones that you can do all the Editing Tricks on when using Panny recorders.

Recordable DVDs Used on the Panny ES10
DVD-RAM: Record, Edit, Erase & Use Over
DVD+R: Record (Can't Be Used Over)
DVD-R: Record (Can't Be Used Over)
DVD-RW: Record & Erase Last Program
(Entire Disc Can be Erased & Used Over By Reformating The Disc.)

DVD-R/RW & DVD+R Have Very Limited Editing & DVD-RAM Discs Are The Only Ones That You Can Cut Commercials Out On & etc.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Walked in, was given a 10 % off coupon at the door, and ended up paying a little over $150 with tax. I haven't used it a whole lot yet, but so far I must say it's a pretty nice unit.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
They must have been reading this thread ;) so they decided to help you out with the Gas Money :D

Enjoy your new toy & be glad you got the Panny 10 & if you have any questions on it I would ask over at AVS Forum where there are a bunch of Panny owners.

Just make sure your VCR doesn't EAT THAT WEDDING TAPE while your dubbing it or you'll end up in BIG TROUBLE!

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

Oh that's why I love doing research before I buy (just like everyone here and on every other electronics forum). I'm considering buying one for my parents for this Christmas and would have probably just picked up the 20 when it's on special this December (assuming it'll be on special). I'm Panny biased and would have assumed to get the "latest and greatest." I think I'll head to BB today and see if they have any 10's. At that point, if they don't, I'll poke around online!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
My Panasonic has died on me. It won't even power up. I woke up this morning and noticed the clock wasn't on. Tried powering up with no success. With this model discontinued, I'm not sure how I'll get a replacement from Best Buy. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks