What's new

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Starts Friday! 100% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.

This is one of the FEW movies I'll actually see in a theater this fall....

RafaelB

Second Unit
I caught a preview screening of this last saturday morning and have to say that it's probably one of the most perfect entralling movies I've seen in awhile.

It retains and sustains the clever-ness of the W&G characters and personalities for 90 minutes and there's alot of subtle humour (as to be expected) in the background and lots of references to classic films as well.

I can't wait to see this again (paying this time).

I'm happy to see it's @ 100% fresh.

Rafael.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
This movie is awesome. I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival, and I expect it to be beloved by many soon. It was one of the sweetest, smartest, and most creative animated movies I've ever seen. A perfect movie to take the kids to because it's got a great innocence and sense of humour that kids will enjoy, as well as some clever gags that will go over their heads and be fun for adults. The claymation is wonderful too.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Oh gosh, I got a good feeling just seeing this *topic* about W&G posted here!

I will BE THERE on Friday early show cuz I'm playing hooky.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005): Saw a screening of this earlier this evening with a few other people. I was just able to get into this movie. The visuals amused me. It's the perfect month for it's release. Things just clicked. This is a well deserved Halloween classic in the making. ****1/2 out of *****

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I hope so, although The Corpse Bride will give it some competition. I haven't seen The Corpse Bride, but I can't imagine it or any animated feature topping this movie, and after finding out the Nick Park has been working towards the full length feature for about 20 years, I think the tremendously entertaining labor of love definitely deserves its due in the form of an award.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Can't wait to see some cheeky comedy and have a cracking good time. Way hey!!

Should I sneak some cheese in with me? :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I liked this movie a lot, but there was one minor dissapointment for me. I thought the score could have been better. The Wallace & Gromit theme is underused, and most of the rest of the score is bland, "trying to be spooky" music. It would have helped if the music were more tuneful, and the mood was never properly set by keeping the music so melancholy. For instance, during the chase scene, the mood would have been better served IMO, by something more action-oriented such as the music from the train chase scene in Wrong Trousers.

I was also mildly disappointed to see no references to the earlier shorts - no cameo by Feathers McGraw or Shawn, etc.

Still, overall, a :emoji_thumbsup:, and much, much better than any other animated Dreamworks film IMO (outshines Shrek, Ice Age, etc.)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

I was wondering where Shaun was myself. :) Loved the movie though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you liked the previous W&G films/shorts, this film won't disappoint. It's funny, silly, whimsical, and cute. The only reservation for a film that attracted a lot of kiddies in the audience is the amount of rifle use in the storyline.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I have never seen a Wallace & Gromit episode before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I REALLY enjoyed this film. I was laughing the entire movie (which is rare for most kid flicks now a days).

Definitely a must see.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, in our household the kids have watched each of the shorter films about 10000000000000000 times. Believe me, you can tire of them.

Having said that, I hope the film does well - it'd be nice to see computer animation given some serious competition (nothing wrong with computer animation, but I'd hate to see it being the only medium used in the future).

Guy Martin

Second Unit

Overall, all my fears about stretching W&G to feature length were unfounded and all my hopes were fulfilled! This is a really cracking film!

- Guy

PS

Stay through the credits!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This movie was a bit of fun -- witty, clever, good-natured excellence all around, and a breath of fresh air after all the frenetic talking animals and pop-culture referencing of the Disney and Dreamworks animation of late.

I think even people who haven't seen any of Nick Park's Aardman stuff will be pleasantly surprised, as long as they don't expect Pixar-style cinematics and that computer "wow" factor. This is "claymation", after all. Personally, knowing how much hands-on work goes into the craft, I am just as amazed at the "simpler" clay models as with any mega-polygon superhero. It's fun seeing how they use the models in the most imaginative ways to make things liquid, viscous, solid metal, etc.

Someone mentioned they weren't excited by the music soundtrack. Although the movie was not attempting to be a "musical" in any sense of the word, and the halloweenish music was servicable but not completely memorable, there is a GREAT use of the "Venus" movement from Gustav Holst's Planets suite early in the movie. Really atmospheric and cool and haunting.

Still, despite the themes, this movie doesn't bonk you over the head with pumpkins and witches and ghosts. If anything it's a "harvest"-themed movie more than a halloween movie, and if you know anything about the Harvest Festival, you'll understand more about the manic motivations of the characters. It's a very, very, very English movie - and if you appreicate English humor, you'll find much more here to enjoy.

Great hammy performances by Ralph Fiennes and Helena Bonhan Carter, who voiced the other stop-motion Halloween movie this year. :D

"I just looooove cheese!" (twiddle twiddle)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks