-

Photo
- - - - -

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 11:08 PM

Starts Friday! 100% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.

This is one of the FEW movies I'll actually see in a theater this fall....

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 12:25 AM

I'm so gonna be first in line! Posted Image

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   RafaelB

RafaelB

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 02:05 AM

I caught a preview screening of this last saturday morning and have to say that it's probably one of the most perfect entralling movies I've seen in awhile.

It retains and sustains the clever-ness of the W&G characters and personalities for 90 minutes and there's alot of subtle humour (as to be expected) in the background and lots of references to classic films as well.

I can't wait to see this again (paying this time).

I'm happy to see it's @ 100% fresh.

Rafael.

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 03:01 AM

Finally, it's almost out!

~T

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 04:43 AM

This movie is awesome. I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival, and I expect it to be beloved by many soon. It was one of the sweetest, smartest, and most creative animated movies I've ever seen. A perfect movie to take the kids to because it's got a great innocence and sense of humour that kids will enjoy, as well as some clever gags that will go over their heads and be fun for adults. The claymation is wonderful too.

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   norman j

norman j

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 04:39 PM

I saw it in Toronto Too and loved it. It is going to be a classic!

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 06:25 PM

I'll be there on Friday Posted Image Really looking forward to it!

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 04:28 AM

There are about 6 fairly lengthy clips over at Ain't It Cool News. VERY FUNNY! Cannot wait!

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Claire Panke

Claire Panke

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 01:58 PM

Oh gosh, I got a good feeling just seeing this *topic* about W&G posted here!

I will BE THERE on Friday early show cuz I'm playing hooky.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 06:54 PM

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005): Saw a screening of this earlier this evening with a few other people. I was just able to get into this movie. The visuals amused me. It's the perfect month for it's release. Things just clicked. This is a well deserved Halloween classic in the making. ****1/2 out of *****

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 05 2005 - 07:14 PM

This film is a lock for the Animated Feature Academy Award this year. I don't even have to see it yet to know that.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 07:35 PM

I hope so, although The Corpse Bride will give it some competition. I haven't seen The Corpse Bride, but I can't imagine it or any animated feature topping this movie, and after finding out the Nick Park has been working towards the full length feature for about 20 years, I think the tremendously entertaining labor of love definitely deserves its due in the form of an award.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   StevenFC

StevenFC

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 05:58 PM

Can't wait to see some cheeky comedy and have a cracking good time. Way hey!!

Should I sneak some cheese in with me? Posted Image
Steve's DVDs

The spammers motto: I stink, therefore I spam.

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 01:31 PM

I liked this movie a lot, but there was one minor dissapointment for me. I thought the score could have been better. The Wallace & Gromit theme is underused, and most of the rest of the score is bland, "trying to be spooky" music. It would have helped if the music were more tuneful, and the mood was never properly set by keeping the music so melancholy. For instance, during the chase scene, the mood would have been better served IMO, by something more action-oriented such as the music from the train chase scene in Wrong Trousers.

I was also mildly disappointed to see no references to the earlier shorts - no cameo by Feathers McGraw or Shawn, etc.

Still, overall, a Posted Image, and much, much better than any other animated Dreamworks film IMO (outshines Shrek, Ice Age, etc.)
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 01:44 PM

Quote:
I was also mildly disappointed to see no references to the earlier shorts - no cameo by Feathers McGraw or Shawn, etc.

I was wondering where Shaun was myself. Posted Image Loved the movie though.

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,757 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 02:23 PM

If you liked the previous W&G films/shorts, this film won't disappoint. It's funny, silly, whimsical, and cute. The only reservation for a film that attracted a lot of kiddies in the audience is the amount of rifle use in the storyline.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 03:23 PM

I have never seen a Wallace & Gromit episode before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I REALLY enjoyed this film. I was laughing the entire movie (which is rare for most kid flicks now a days).

Definitely a must see.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 11:39 PM

Quote:
I have never seen a Wallace & Gromit episode before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I REALLY enjoyed this film.

Unfortunately, in our household the kids have watched each of the shorter films about 10000000000000000 times. Believe me, you can tire of them.

Having said that, I hope the film does well - it'd be nice to see computer animation given some serious competition (nothing wrong with computer animation, but I'd hate to see it being the only medium used in the future).

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Guy Martin

Guy Martin

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted October 09 2005 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
The only reservation for a film that attracted a lot of kiddies in the audience is the amount of rifle use in the storyline.

Really?
It seemed that all the gun use was portrayed very negatively and was clearly associated with Quartermaine, the villian. And he misses every time. While the number of shots fired is relatively high, I felt that the strong anti-violence message of the story more than made up for it.

Quote:

I noticed at least two (although yes, Shaun and Feathers were sadly missing):

1)
When W&G realize that Hutch has taken on some of Wallace's characteristics, Hutch blurts out, "The bounce has gone from his bungee", which was a direct quote from Wallace in A Close Shave.

During the "dogfight" Gromitt and Quartermaine's dog fly planes which require a 10p to activate. They even have to stop fighting for a minute halfway through to put another coin in! Seemed to me to be a reference to the moon robot/oven from A Grand Day Out which required a 10p to operate.

Overall, all my fears about stretching W&G to feature length were unfounded and all my hopes were fulfilled! This is a really cracking film!

- Guy

PS

Stay through the credits!

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted October 09 2005 - 01:43 PM

This movie was a bit of fun -- witty, clever, good-natured excellence all around, and a breath of fresh air after all the frenetic talking animals and pop-culture referencing of the Disney and Dreamworks animation of late.

I think even people who haven't seen any of Nick Park's Aardman stuff will be pleasantly surprised, as long as they don't expect Pixar-style cinematics and that computer "wow" factor. This is "claymation", after all. Personally, knowing how much hands-on work goes into the craft, I am just as amazed at the "simpler" clay models as with any mega-polygon superhero. It's fun seeing how they use the models in the most imaginative ways to make things liquid, viscous, solid metal, etc.

Someone mentioned they weren't excited by the music soundtrack. Although the movie was not attempting to be a "musical" in any sense of the word, and the halloweenish music was servicable but not completely memorable, there is a GREAT use of the "Venus" movement from Gustav Holst's Planets suite early in the movie. Really atmospheric and cool and haunting.

Still, despite the themes, this movie doesn't bonk you over the head with pumpkins and witches and ghosts. If anything it's a "harvest"-themed movie more than a halloween movie, and if you know anything about the Harvest Festival, you'll understand more about the manic motivations of the characters. It's a very, very, very English movie - and if you appreicate English humor, you'll find much more here to enjoy.

Great hammy performances by Ralph Fiennes and Helena Bonhan Carter, who voiced the other stop-motion Halloween movie this year. Posted Image

"I just looooove cheese!" (twiddle twiddle)

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow