What's new

Looking for affordable Front Projection set up (newbie) (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So I just recently thought this up and I realized I could easily set up a Front Projection set up in my room. Length wise, wall to wall its 17.5' and Side to side the image could be Height = 103'' and Length = 80''
From my research so far here are my goals. I woudl hang the projector from the roof, 16:9 projector prefered, and HDMI or at least DVI to convert to HDMI.
So the one projector I remember being huge here was the Infocus 4805, is that one still a good option. My price range is at most 1800 Canadian I would say. Now questions I have, what is a good player for me? I would be using this for movies and games, no TV. And I was think of hanging a screen on the back wall. I can go back at most 17' with the projector. Sorry for the long typing, any info help, or links would be amaizng.
Thanks

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So here's what I've can up with so far. On Ebay they have refurbished Infocus 4805 for around 700-900 Canadian. Then I did a little bit of math and I think I could use this screen 92'' 16:9 Grey Wolf Then getting a roof mount kit off of ebay as well for around 10-30 dollars. How does this sound for a first time set up and I must admit a lot more affordable than I thought and as a part time student I could really use the saved cash.
Thanks
P.S. I realize the Infocus are refurbished just curious how big a deal that really is?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
sounds like a good start.

Remember "dead pixal policy" when purchasing any digital display.

Regards

Gregg

James Phung

Second Unit
You want to buy the 4805 from an authorized dealer, refurbished or not. I'm not sure if Infocus will do warranty work on projectors bought off of ebay. You really do want to have a warranty on items such as these, especially with the money you are spending. If you can, I'd recommend a new unit with a 2 year warranty.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
well right now that's my main concern, does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a new or refurbished one with some Infocus warrenty?
Thanks

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Alright after a massive research night I have changed my decision on the player to get. Looks like I will go with the Optoma H27. Now my only question is, when mounted, does the Projector have to pointed directly at the screen or how much give and take is there on the angle it throws at? Can anyone recommend a cheap Ceiling hanger?
Thanks

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Sorry I dont see the Z3 on any of the sites I go to. Some limitations I have is that I'm in Canada, and more importantly in Montreal. Shipping seems to double when your in Quebec. So my goal as well is to find a place that sells screens here and save myself that extra 150 on shipping of the screen. I dont think Future Shop cuts it for screens though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.