What's new

Calvin and Hobbes. (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The Complete Collection got released today.

Im really considering getting it. Man, I love Calvin and Hobbs...most of the philosophy flew over my head back in the day, but reading it now is such a rich and enjoyable experience. I cant wait.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My sister who manages a Barnes and Nobles says she just got the stock in, it's heavy!

I too, miss calvin and hobbes. I think I stopped reading the sunday comics on a regular basis after C&H stopped its run.

Plus, Watterson has some really funny cycling related strips:

Jay

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've been hoping for this one ever since I read about the Complete Far Side collection from a few years back. I'm actually holding off on this one until after Christmas (since it's the kind of thing that someone might give me), but I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Ah, Calvinball...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
This is a must for me. I have a friend who is a cartoonist and he had a strip for a few years with the same syndicate that had Watterson. After he signed, he asked one of big wigs "Just why did Watterson go out like he did". The guy replied "Lenny, if you could sit on your yacht in your underwear and paint watercolors for the rest of your life, wouldn't you do it?" Classic...

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
One can wish though, wouldn't some new Calvin and Hobbes just be great right about now?

I agree with the previous post from Jay - I have taken little interest in the Sunday comics since they went away. I do try to catch Opus these days though....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Too cool for school:

--the strip

--the complete collection

--Watterson's retirement

From Publisher's Weekly via amazon.com:

HERE'S the amazon.com listing.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I was such a fan of the strip that I named my cats Calvin and Hobbes. This is a little pricey, but if I'm very good for the rest of the year, I may have to give this to myself as a Christmas present. :D

Regards,

Joe

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking forward to this all year and have been waiting for release day... but I'm broke!

I'm so frustrated, the Hitchcock Collections streets today also as well Cinderella and the Val Lewton set and I'm literally walking around with two twenties in my wallet and half a tank of gas!!

I need to make some quick cash, if I don't own this set by the end of the week I'll be a really dissapointed man!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I am so tempted to get this. But, I should get my family to get me this for xmas instead and save a few bucks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Grr... Calvin & Hobbes reprints have bumped Opus off the front page of the Boston Glob's comic section, where it's shrunk to not even get the full width of a page. Not that I don't appreciate seeing the C&H stuff, but couldn't they have reduced Dilbert, Garfield, or Doonesbury, which aren't as elborately detailed and colored? Or "Ask Shagg". F--- "Ask Shagg".

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Zits is also a pretty good cartoon, as is Foxtrot, which is enough for me to open to the comics page every once in a while. But so far nothing for me has even come close to Calvin and Hobbes.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I just ordered my copy on Overstock.com for $77.90 shipped, it was too good of a price to pass or postpone.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

David> I agree. I used to really look forward to opening the comics pages every morning and reading Calvin and Hobbes. Before the collections came out i used to cut out and paste every one in a scrapbook.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm a newspaper subscriber and read the comics everyday. There's been several recent strips that I like - The Boondocks, Get Fuzzy, and my favorite, Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!. My newspaper thankfully reruns Peanuts strips, and I still read classics like Blondie, Beetle Bailey and Hagar the Horrible for that comfortable sameness that still gives me a chuckle (plus Blondie and Cookie are still by far the hottest ladies in comics).

But Calvin & Hobbes was one of a kind - consistently funny, emotional, politically, socially, and artistically aware, concerned with growing up and parenting, and disecting human behavior and culture and as if this weren't enough topically, Watterson provided a striking visual style.

There's this conservative-bent strip called Prickly City that is a total C&H ripoff only every frame is completely boring to look at. The creator doesn't have a smidgen of Watterson's artistry.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It was a sad winter day when we saw our last C&H. The strip almost SUSTAINED me in college. As beautiful and touching and funny as anything the medium ever produced. To save some bucks, this is a Christmas gift from my folks to me, so I have to wait two months to get mine :frowning:

I already have the monstrous 2-tome Far Side. This is one of the few things that'll be better.

Great pictures,
Chuck

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I keep the one where the father rides his bike in the snow to get his heart rate up in my heart rate monitor case. Priceless.

The Washington Post has a review of the collection here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks