Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The West Wing - Season 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
422 replies to this topic

#41 of 423 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 18 2005 - 03:17 AM

Or, in a suprise twist, Toby takes the fall even though he is not the leak just to prevent it from getting to Leo or creating more havoc Posted Image Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#42 of 423 PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 03:46 PM

When I heard "Columbia" my first thought was of the shuttle disaster, so Toby might got to work for NASA on some sort of safety gig in memory of these sorts of tragedies.
Posted Image

#43 of 423 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 02:27 AM

Columbia University.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#44 of 423 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
Or, in a suprise twist, Toby takes the fall even though he is not the leak just to prevent it from getting to Leo or creating more havoc

Seems unlikely. The President said very matter-of-factly to Toby, in response to news that CJ was the target, that "she didn't do it", obviously hinting to Toby that he'd already figured out Toby did it, and perhaps also that Toby should stand up and confess, to avoid further fallout. It would also tie in to why in the opening episode, they explicitly set out that Toby was no longer in government, although that also implicitly applies to CJ as well.

#45 of 423 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 23 2005 - 01:04 PM

Great episode. The preview for next week looks great too.
It seems that the debate part, at least, will really be live. Anybody know if this s true?

#46 of 423 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted October 23 2005 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
Anybody know if this s true?

Yes. Big story about it here, but be warned as there are spoilers.

In part, it says
Quote:
NBC will air a live debate during the November ratings race between faux candidates Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda on its struggling political drama series "The West Wing," which since moving to Sunday this season has seen its audience plunge from more than 11 million viewers to fewer than 8 million.

#47 of 423 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 23 2005 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I'm so excited about this now. Posted Image

#48 of 423 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 23 2005 - 03:25 PM

It'll either suck ass or kick ass...I'll be watching. Awesome, awesome idea. Posted Image

#49 of 423 Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted October 23 2005 - 08:27 PM

I'm liking the addition of Janeane Garofolo to the cast. Her description of Vinick as "inconveniently spry" cracked me up.

Rob
"That suits me down to the ground."

#50 of 423 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 30 2005 - 12:36 PM

my NBC affiliate has pushed it till midnight tonight due to some Buffalo Bills game. Posted Image Posted Image

#51 of 423 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,907 posts

Posted October 31 2005 - 11:06 AM

Last night's episode was encouraging that we might see more of Donna Moss. I think next week's episode will be very interesting.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#52 of 423 BrianV

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted November 01 2005 - 09:06 AM

I had guessed that when Toby was ousted, Will would get the Communications post and then bring Donna in as his deputy.

guess i was wrong.

good episode, though, and Garafolo is doing a great job.

#53 of 423 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted November 01 2005 - 12:50 PM

One thing I thought a little off: why so much personal animosity between Vinick and Santos? Certainly they're running against each other for the presidency and you don't expect them to be best friends, but when they were waiting to be announced for the Al Smith dinner and they started talking, there seemed to be a lot of hostility, especially since the negative ads haven't really started running yet -- on that score Santos might have reason to be a little aggrieved but there's no reason for Vinick to act so pissed off, especially since he's the frontrunner by 9 points at this stage. And getting miffed about the perceived "ploy" of having the women's group considering endorsing him doesn't seem like a stunt worthy of getting so riled up.

#54 of 423 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 01 2005 - 02:07 PM

Quote:
One thing I thought a little off: why so much personal animosity between Vinick and Santos?
Some of it may have been blowing off steam. Presidential campaigns are pretty damn stressful. You don't want to blow off steam towards your staff; it would be better to focus it on your opponent.

#55 of 423 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted November 06 2005 - 11:24 AM

Just a heads up that tonight the West Wing is airing a LIVE episode at 8 p.m. Eastern. This is the impromptu live debate between Santos and Vinick that the candidates set up last week.
Gary

#56 of 423 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted November 06 2005 - 02:50 PM

I personally loved it.

#57 of 423 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 06 2005 - 03:48 PM

It was.. interesting. But if this was a real campaign, let's say in the real world, Santos would be slaughtered for his performance. Yes, he appeared "good" on the night, but so many of his comments would be so much bait that would wreck him for the vast majority of people who do not watch debates. Lines like:

"I don't really like my healthcare program"
"I prefer medicare for everyone" (which would result in tons of "what do you mean? Promise one thing, when you're really planning to do something else? Tell us the Truth, Candidate Santos, what more "hidden" plans do you have?") Opposition to the federal death penalty, controls on purchase of ammo, etc... all of those could be spun in wildly different ways after his initial "I don't believe in my own plan" comment.

I could hear the soundbytes coming, special interest groups would be spinning commercials left and right.

Yes, Vinick had stumbles, but his gaffes in the way things sounded were "eh"; many would go for his straight to the point "let's be honest; not everyone is going to MIT" "Forgiving Africa's debt doesn't solve their problem..." etc. Those are the kind of stately moments that would help his campaign. Whereas his "gaffes" and challenges would be relished by the people distantly on both sides but wouldn't make nearly as good of soundbyte moments as some of the zingers that Santos threw against his own campaign.

If I were put in charge of working either campaign, based on this debate, I'd take the Vinick campaign's chances every time. If their strategist is good, there is so much pulp here that you would just choke Santos out of the race.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#58 of 423 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted November 06 2005 - 04:26 PM

Wow. I don't watch West Wing, but flipped by this, and watched the whole thing. First, outstanding job by Smits and Alda. What a great performance. Second, if only real presidential debates were this spirited and "debatey".
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#59 of 423 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted November 06 2005 - 04:53 PM

The debate succeeded in showing me that even if the current format were abolished, which I've often wished for, an hour isn't enough time to get to know a potential president. I felt great about the ability of the candidates to address each other and stay on a topic until positions and differences were clear. I care much more about debates like this than stump speeches, etc. I don't mind having something on-line that I can go read for details, but I mostly want to hear the candidates make their pitch and be challenged by the opponent.

The major drawback I felt as I watched the show was the overtalking. Santos had a point about filibustering, but I also don't like interrupting a speaker before he has a chance to finish. Aside from the rudeness of it, how can we truly have a discussion of ideas if we don't let someone finish presenting their idea?

Nice gimmick. Decent episode.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#60 of 423 Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted November 06 2005 - 06:24 PM

I was quite disappointed that Jimmy Smits wasn't mistakenely called "Senator Bail Organa" Posted Image

But overall, I actually enjoyed the debate. I think if I were a voter, I would have given Senator Vinick a victory on this one. He seemed more aggressive and more honest in his answers. But that's just my .02 cents.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow