What's new

ML Baseball 2005 Playoff thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Now that we are in the post-season for ML Baseball, I thought it time to start up the Playoff thread, and keep other discussions on the regular season in the other ML Baseball 2005 thread.

Predictions for the first round?

Did the Yankees get a worse draw by winning the AL East by having to have the Angels, or are the Chisox back in their 1st half playing form from their performance in the past 2 weeks?

Boston needs their pitching to hold up enough to outscore the Chisox, and perhaps the winner of the Angels/Yankee series.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to play the Astros at this time (yes, momentum and playing well at the right time does factor into playoff success), but the Braves get them once again this year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can avenge last year's NLDS loss to the Astros and meet the Cardinals for a trip to the World Series, but it'll be a tough road.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I was at the Phillies/Nationals game yesterday, boy what fun going to a game as part of the wild card pennant race when there's really something on the line. All the Phillies fans where chanting "Let's go Cubbies", great stuff. Unfortunately the Cubs lost... :frowning:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The Yankees REALLY need to STF up about this:

Ummm...OK...? This required removing them in the third inning because...?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

What about the fact that Torre put his scrubs in the game yesterday after Cleveland lost? Before the game even started, he pulled Mussina and pitched Wright instead. I hardly think he can complain about a team that is out of it pulling their stars if the team that's already in it and vying for home advantage does the same thing. If they are so concerned about getting home field advantage they should win their own games first and worry about other teams second.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My predictions:

Angels over Yankees
Red Sox over White Sox
Angels over Red Sox in 6

Cardinals over Padres
Astros over the Braves
Astros over Cardinals in 7.

Angels over Astros in 6 for the WS title. MVP: Vlad Guerrero.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Angels over the Red Sox!!?? No way! 2 IN A ROW < this comment has nothing to do with the fact that I live in Massachusetts. ;) :D

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Angels over the Red Sox!!?? No way!

(this comment has nothing to do with the fact I lived in Mass for 27 yrs...) ;) :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Red Sox over White Sox in five
Angels over Yankees in four

Cardinals over Padres in three
Astros over Braves in five

Red Sox over Angels in six
Astros over Cardinals in seven

Astros over Red Sox in seven (I'd like to say the Sox repeat, but have you seen that bullpen? On the other hand, Kevin Millar doesn't play in the NL park). Clemens pitches in Boston and it's absolutely insane.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Angels over Yanks in 4.
Red over white in 4
Angels over Sox in 7

Cardinals over Padres in 3
Braves over Astros in 5
Cardinals over Braves in 6 (if this happens I will be so pissed as I hate the Cardinals more than everyone but the Yankees)

Angels over Cardinals in 5.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok here is how I want the playoffs to go not necessarily how I think it will go.

Padres over Cards
Braves over Astros

Braves over Padres

Angles over Yanks
Red Sox over White Sox

Red Sox over Angles

Braves over the Sox

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'll go ahead and make some predictions, even though they're more like a wish. :)

Braves over Astros in 5
Cards over Padres in 4

Angels over NYY in 5
Boston over CWS in 4

Braves over Cards in 6
Boston over Angels in 5

Braves over Boston in 7

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
My above post was how I think things should go, if I had it my way.

Angels over Yanks in 3.
Red Sox over White Sox in 4 although I really don't love or hate either team.

Braves over Houston in 5 (hey I want a good series)
Cardinals over Padres in 5, lets tire St. Louis a bit.

Angels over Sox in 7
Braves over Cardinals in either 4 games or 7 depending on which 1 would cause certain Cardinal fans I know the most pain.

Braves over Sox in 7, I want a classic world series.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
After last years 4 and out I'm sure there will be a game 7. MLB doesn't want to lose sponsor money this year too.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, suggesting that the length of the World Series could be rigged...pass the tin-foil hat. During the low-TV-ratings Cleveland-Florida WS of '97, Dick Ebersol of NBC went so far as to complain openly about losing some nights of their precious must-see-TV as the series kept going on and on. His public complaints made no difference, as the series went to Game 7 anyway...and 11 innings in that game, to boot!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I love the 1997 world series, a classic not seen by a whole lot of people. Game 7 was especially great.

Fox should be happy with big markets in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago & Boston in the american league with Houston and Atlanta in the top 10 as well.

Cardinals take game 1.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
White Sox sure choked there. Didn't they know they were supposed to win 20-4 ;)

Sox were slaughtered in Cleveland and then returned the favor with a 20+ spot and 3 straight wins in '99. Slaughtered in ALCS last year and won 8 in a row. This only counts as 1 game. :D

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Nothing will ever beat the '91 Series, despite its heartbreaking outcome for Braves fans. That one was probably the greatest WS of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks