What's new

Basic Help Hooking Up Video (1 Viewer)

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys

Looking to setup my cheapo system to the best of its potential.

I'm using the good ol' Cyberhome as my primary player for now; mostly for its region-setting. My TV is a Toshiba 24" 24AF45 (component video ins, but no prog scan).

Currently, I have some cheapo RCAs connecting the player to the set via the component video jacks. It looks pretty darn good - better than when I use the RCA jacks with the same cables. How much increase will component video cables bring if I'm using a set this small that has no progressive scan? Also, am I damaging any equipment by using RCAs in component video jacks?

Also, my 16:9 for this TV seems to do some minor vertical stretching. I've tried it with both 1.85 and 2.31 aspect ratios, and have made sure to switch on the 16:9 mode on both the set and the DVD player. Everyone still looks a little taller than in letterbox mode.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Nick.

For a TV that size and standard video, higher-end cables may not make much difference.

How cheep is "cheapo"? Are the cables as thick as your CATV coax? If not - you are either using Mini coax or un-shielded blister-pack cables and I would suggest you upgrade.

I like the AR Pro2 cables or even the Radio Shack "Gold" series for budget systems. A $29-$39 investment.

If you really wanted to go high-end, get a custom component cable from places like www.bluejeanscables.com . They use HD rated coax and good RCA plugs. They are running about $48 for a 6 ft cable right now. (Much cheaper than most retail cables - yet have the technical specs that engineers look for). I am using these cables for my 60" HD television.

Above all: remember the 10% rule:
So unless your TV and DVD player cost over $500 - the custom cable may be too much.

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. I went ahead and got some thicker, but not too pricey, cables.

Any idea on the 16:9 mode problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks