Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Basic Help Hooking Up Video

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Nick White

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 02:28 AM

Hey guys

Looking to setup my cheapo system to the best of its potential.

I'm using the good ol' Cyberhome as my primary player for now; mostly for its region-setting. My TV is a Toshiba 24" 24AF45 (component video ins, but no prog scan).

Currently, I have some cheapo RCAs connecting the player to the set via the component video jacks. It looks pretty darn good - better than when I use the RCA jacks with the same cables. How much increase will component video cables bring if I'm using a set this small that has no progressive scan? Also, am I damaging any equipment by using RCAs in component video jacks?

Also, my 16:9 for this TV seems to do some minor vertical stretching. I've tried it with both 1.85 and 2.31 aspect ratios, and have made sure to switch on the 16:9 mode on both the set and the DVD player. Everyone still looks a little taller than in letterbox mode.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
-Will Durant

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 07:31 AM

Hi Nick.

For a TV that size and standard video, higher-end cables may not make much difference.

How cheep is "cheapo"? Are the cables as thick as your CATV coax? If not - you are either using Mini coax or un-shielded blister-pack cables and I would suggest you upgrade.

I like the AR Pro2 cables or even the Radio Shack "Gold" series for budget systems. A $29-$39 investment.

If you really wanted to go high-end, get a custom component cable from places like www.bluejeanscables.com . They use HD rated coax and good RCA plugs. They are running about $48 for a 6 ft cable right now. (Much cheaper than most retail cables - yet have the technical specs that engineers look for). I am using these cables for my 60" HD television.

Above all: remember the 10% rule:
Quote:
Budget no more than 10% of the cost of the equipment you are hooking up for the wires

So unless your TV and DVD player cost over $500 - the custom cable may be too much.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Nick White

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and got some thicker, but not too pricey, cables.

Any idea on the 16:9 mode problem?
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
-Will Durant