What's new

2k Budget for Subwoofer, what do you recommend (1 Viewer)

MichaelMilton

Auditioning
I have a pretty big room, 21x21 with vaulted ceilings, and a big 8 foot opening into another large room.

I am looking for that bass I use to get in my Jetta with 4 12" woofers boxed in the trunk.

I auditioned a Sunfire EQ sub and was disappointed in the sound, as it didn't have the feel to it.

I hear alot about SVS, but not being able to hear something is tuff on me.

So with 2K and my room, what would you recommend? I can't post pictures of my room, as I am new.

Thanks for your input.

Michael

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It's not possible to get that type of bass in a room that size with a $2k budget and commercial subwoofer options. I'm not sure it's even possible with DIY stuff. The closest you'll get commercially would be multiples of SVS stuff. Say 4 25-31CS subs and you'll have to ebay for some used pro amps to power them. Or a pair of the PB12-ISD/2 subs. Go a little over $2k and do a pair of the PB12-Plus/2 subs.

DIY, if you got the appropriate adjacent space you could go IB (http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelyb...B-Gallery.html). Something like 12 or more of either the AE IB15 driver (http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv12636...c2e543e70b9200) or the Parts Express IB15 driver (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-455). Plus a solid pro amp or 2.

Still won't be the same, but closest you could get and stay around $2k. This IB would also allow well over reference level bass. Won't be as loud as the car, but will be louder than the movie sound engineer intended and louder than is safe for your ears and possibly your house.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Also, car audio is a lot of sloppy boom (I don't mean that as a bad thing directed at you, it is a different world than home audio, I spend time in both, and they are both fun) - home audio, for the most part, is low, tight, deep bass that will literally shake the house. You FEEL it, you do not HEAR it. It is precise, you can really comprehend the bass with good home subwoofers.

I have a friend with one of those JL W7 13.5" bad boys and a good amp (forgot the brand). He has it tweaked (EQ and everything) and it actually sounds like a home sub. Low, tight, clean, not sloppy and boomy, but it can still shake the car. Best car audio bass I have ever heard.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
As others have said, it's not possible. Think about it logically. Your room is about 50 times the size of your Jetta (extremely rough estimate since you didn't give cubic feet of the room).

If it's 50 times the size you'd need 50 times the speakers. So a 200 speaker infinite baffle would probably come close to what you're looking for.

Commercially, look at SVS and Hsu. Or build one yourself. Definitely listen to lots of "good" HT subs first so you know what to expect. I fear that if you ordered an SVS right now you'd be very disappointed when you got it (same with Hsu, Velodyne, etc).

MichaelMilton

Auditioning
I guess my reffernce to my Jetta wasn't good, I know I am not going to get that kind of bass in a house.

I have been emailing with Tom at SVS, and he is recommendning there PBS-12/Plus2.

I currently have an NHT sub, and sometime it is okay, Tom said that I will see a big differnce between the two, which if it gives my 25% more bass, I will be happy.

Michael

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Michael,

Where are you located? You might find out if someone on this or another forum lives nearby who has an SVS sub and would be willing to audition it for you. Just a thought.

Gods Love
chris

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
You can certainly get loud/quality bass in that room for $2K, and you don't have to just look at SVS (although they make quality products.) You can look at products from these companies as well - as they are also highly regarded:

Hsu (VTF3 MkII or new VTF-HO) (2)
Acoustic Visions
Rocket (UFW12) (2)
Danley Sound (for a bit more than your budget you can get what some are calling the best value in subs today - the PB12.)
Axiom EP-500 or EP-600

The IB option that people mentioned is viable and can provide you with excellent deep bass/output at a great price.

JP

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Audition the Axiom EP600, if it don;t do it ofr ya, nothing will under $2k, and you can ship it back risk free in 30 days.....

Then you can save for the Def-Tech Supercube Trinity Signature (@$3K) which, supposedly, will hit 16Hz/120+Db's anechoic......

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
SVS PB-12/2 or Ultra.

I have a 19x20 room with high ceilings and one PB-10 is already doing a very respectable job in there. The PB-10 really surprised me with it's capability, and for more oomph SVS recommended a 12/2 or a second PB-10.

Check www.audioenvy.com to see if there is anyone in your area who will let you audition their SVS.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Houses are too leaky, the bass will go right through the sheetrock so you will never pressurize a house the like a car. Good recommendations from others already so I will just second the notion of a massive IB, it will be the best bass you have ever heard and you will throw rocks at your old car system after hearing the difference. 8 to 12-15” drivers should do the trick in a manifold or line array.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Highlighted supposedly for a reason,it seems that nothing changed on "Def Tech land" when it comes to "optimistic" claims if their speakers/subs extensions.:)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I used to have dual NHT subs. I wound up after a long time with a PB2+ sub from Ron at SVS, it was no competition between the NHT it was so much better. Room is about 25X15 with high ceilings and one end partially open into kitchen/eating area. It served me well for several years but it was black and everything in my room is oak. The oak ultras finally came out and I picked up one of them and it is doing a pretty good job of taking the place of my PB2 (Now called the PB12+2). Since having other subs and now having 2 SVS's I can't imagine I will ever buy another sub other than an SVS. Great service, great people to help out like Ron there and just a great company with a good product.

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
it would be better to build a wall to seperate the rooms so your theatre is an enclosed room than spending 2k on subwoofer in my opinion.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

true, but with 2 14" powered drivers coupled with 4 14" passive radiators, I highly doubt this sub is going to be a slouch by any stretch.....

I think SVS should construct a Servo PB12-4Ultra Servo super refrence subwoofer to combat this product for the new "king of the hill" subwoofer.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton

True, should produce quite well, but there are still limits to what can come from a given box size. I haven't seen any info on this product, but I guarantee that the specs quoted earlier are lacking some qualifiers. IE there is no way 4 14" passives will deliver 120dB @ 16Hz 1/2 space at 1m, let alone anechoic. It is very likely that higher in the band the sub could produce 120dB. The little Sunfires are capable of somewhere near 120dB @ 1m... above ~40Hz. At 20Hz it's more like 90-95dB.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Michael,

Since audioenvy is down, just let us know where you live. There may well be a member here who will have you over for an audition. That's how I was introduced to SVS and have since done the same for others here.

Alex

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
To hear an SV Sub is to love it. See if anyone of the forum is around you and go audition them.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks