Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV DVD rescues DVD business

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,005 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted October 01 2005 - 03:29 PM

According to a snippet at IMDb.com, TV DVD saved the DVD industry:

http://us.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-09-30/

Scroll down a bit to see the Homer Simpson's Head DVD case.

Many times I have to force myself to stop watching one or two episodes so that I don't end up sitting there all day and all night. Some of these shows are so addicting ("I have to know what's going to happen next!") that we need DVD Addicts Anonymous (DVDAA)!
-

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 07:00 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Shows I happened to get through in a matter of days during different times: Not that I ended up loving all seasons, but the fact I got through them so fast tells me I must not have hated them. Alias: Season 1, Season 2, Season 3 24: Season 1, Season 2, Season, 3, Season 4 Desperate Housewives: Season 1 Nip Tuck: Season 1 & 2 Charmed: Season 1 & 2 *All series introduced to me by DVD for the most part by the way* Shows with continuing stories would drive me insane if I watched them weekly. So, I tend to just wait. There are others.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 01 2005 - 11:02 PM

- "Scoop In"

Keith,

Thanks for that info Posted Image Obviously, most here welcome this news. I've only bought a few DVD movies during the past 2 years and most of them have been "classics" that I've been waiting for DVD release for years. The vast mojority of my DVD buy's have been TV/DVD's. I often wonder if this sector of the DVD market will slow down or disappear. I hope not Posted Image I'm thinking that there's enough "'Boomers" out here ("Baby-Boomers", that is...Posted Image ) to keep this segment of the DVD market afloat for a long time. I'm always amazed, though, when I hear about the "youngsters" actually liking the old "classics", like the Dick Van Dyks Show and shows like that which were made well before they arrived on the "scene" Posted Image That gives me hope Posted Image

As for viewing habits (TV/DVD sets), I'm thinking that I'm in the minority. The way that I do it is that I have many sets "in progress" and I don't "marathon-view". The closest time that I marathon'ed on a set was the "Murder One" Season 1 set. I think I went through 3 eps at one sitting on that one. How do I keep track of my viewing, (if anyone asked Posted Image )? That's easy....with an "Excel" file Posted Image Isn't the "Office" software great? Posted Image I wonder if there's any more Posted Image's out there that are as strange in their viewing routine as me? Posted Image

- "Scoop Out"

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,635 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 05:30 AM

Jeff, I couldn't agree with you more. Whether or not my personal preferences of TV over Film dvds measure up with the general public is unknown to me, but I like what I'm hearing about in this thread. I can safely say that 90% of all my dvds are Television shows. That's gotta be way out of whack compared to the regular consumer, I'm sure. But it's how the whole dvd phenomenon has developed in my life. Gary "hope the classic tv shows keep coming" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Juan Books

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 08:58 AM

No surprise here. TV on DVD (when they are not cut) is one of the most satisfying hobbies out there. TV sets account for most of my DVD purchases (and viewing time).

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 09:06 AM

In terms of titles, 1/3 of my titles are TV sets. In terms of discs, though, that number certainly outdoes the number of movies I own.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,309 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 02 2005 - 09:38 AM

The majority of movie titles sold each year are of new titles that were recently in theaters. That DVD sales are signficantly down during a period when box office receipts are also significantly down shouldn't surprise anybody. If Hollywood wants to make more money on feature DVDs it might help if they produced films that suck less, or at least fewer films that suck as much as recent fare has. They might also consider changing their split with the theaters, so the theaters, in turn, can lower ticket and concession prices, and spend a little more on maintaining a clean, comfortable environment with functional projectors and sound equipment. Since the studios now tend to make more money off the DVD releases than off domestic box office anyway, they might do better by taking a smaller cut of a larger pie by helping theaters stay in business and attract more patrons. It is still the case that the majority of DVD sales for theatrical films are made to those who have already seen the film and enjoyed it. If prices, cleanliness and other factors (such as the lousy quality of the films themselves) discourage people from going to the theater in the first place, DVD sales clearly are not going to follow. Regards, Joe

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 09:44 AM

Not me, I own about 25 TV sets and complete seasons of Stargate, Farscape and Andromeda but my biggest investment is in my Japanese Anime DVD collections, over 200 DVD's. 150 Movies and altogether, between 500-1000 DVD's.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 06:16 PM

I wouldn't even own a DVD player if it wasn't for TV on DVD because I don't buy movies.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 07:15 PM

the majority of my DVD's are TV Shows. I just feel like you get your moneys worth more than you do with a movie. I mean, I can pull out a South Park or Seinfeld DVD whenever and put an episode on, with a movie, I feel like I have to devote more time watching.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 05:24 AM

Although I have several dozen sets of TV shows, I took that article completely different. DVD movie sales have gone down only because they aren't cranking out movies now like they have done in previous years. The factories are still going though, they are now just cranking out TV sets. Not a bad thing, by any means, but it makes me wonder if any movie titles that I still want will ever come out. Glennn

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 08:29 AM

So when is IMDB going to post this headline:

TV DVD boosts DVD Rack sales
Posted Image

Just like the HTF had to create a special section, I had to buy an entire DVD rack just for my tv DVD's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users